Food tips, to Reach 1200 calories a Day.

Options

Replies

• santanagirl95
    Options
    well... start by eating 100-200 calories every 2 to 3 hours... A fiber one bar... an apple... some carrots (NO RANCH) some baked Chicken Strips, a Cucumber... I eat WAY more now than I EVER did before. I just don't eat JUNK. I even treat myslef to a Skinny Cow Truffle Ice cream bar occasionally (The Caramel ones are 100 calories) Feel Free to Check out my food diary
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm glad to see people posting good ideas, but I don't think it's a good idea to bulk up your calories with things like Taco Bell or junk food. It's okay to have something a little bad, but eating those regularly is counter productive.

I have the same problem and I've been trying to give myself bigger portions of things I would normally cut down to so little because of the calories. Instead of boiling chicken I bake it with some evoo now.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why some people here are being negative towards you asking a simple question. I have difficulties reaching it on some days when I'm just simply not hungry anymore and I really have to push to find things to eat. Have some extra veggies, some peanut butter, a protein shake, smoothie, some eggs (you can add cheese/other veggies for some extra calories).
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    any junk food. I mean seriously. a candy bar? 300 calories. Bam. one taco from taco bell? Well that's almost 400. Maybe keep some frozen burritos or hot pockets around for filling up calorie gaps.

And this is why people get fat in the first place -_- 1200 calories is WAY too low especially when you are exercising and isn't it common sense to eat your calories of healthy food to fill nutritional gaps NOT junk to fill calorie gaps if you want to lose weight??!!

I agree with you about junk food but people don't get fat in the first place by eating too few calories and exercising. That is forum myth. It takes energy (calorie surplus) to create mass (fat). Our BMR doesn't shut down and shovel everything into fat cells. Not saying you above think that but I'm just saying it preventatively because some do.

It's common to feel satisfied on much less not only because you're eating healthier and exercising but because you're paying attention for a change. You realize your body is saying "ENOUGH", not "more". So you really don't want to start buttering foods and snarfing down nuts to meet some arbitrary web forum goal when your body is saying ENOUGH. Not paying attention is how a lot of us got fat in the first place.
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    I was having this problem because I feel full and I eat every 2-3 hours and I was still only ending up with 945 cals approx. I drink more V8 and 1% milk. In V8 there's an extra 50 calories with your mean (I get the low sodium one). And the 1% Milk I eat it with my egg and yogurt or what have you in the morning and that's an extra 110 calories (: If you're having trouble reaching your calories and you just can't eat any more food try those two. You can get your extra calories through drinks, although I wouldn't recommend soda or even diet soda and so on and so fourth. And those that said eat a candy bar or something. Calories aren't just calories. The 100-300 calories you can get in a candy bar are not going to have the same effect as say a salmon fillet, pinto beans, and broccoli. You see. It does matter where you get your calories.
  • cddonald22
    cddonald22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem (with the exception of this past Friday). I am trying to be gluten free because it aggravates my reflux and anxiety. I feel like I'm eating fairly clean. I'm just not hungry or I fill up quickly. Im going to try some peanut butter spoons to see if that will help.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what people eat to get to their calorie goal of 1200 caleries :)

Are you serious?
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    food...more of it.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yep, no problem getting to 1200 here, and I eat clean. Have a handful of cashews and your there. or 2 big bananas, guacamole, what ever, easy-peasy. I will never understand this topic :( I get that when you workout you burn calories, but geez...
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Food.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, here. I promise I'm not, but:

How do people have problems eating "enough" of what should be a calorie deficit?

because overeating isnt the only problem people have with food.. i struggle quite a bit to reach my doctors supervised 1000 a day.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Just as some of you cant understand how people cant eat... some of us dont understand how people overeat. Please dont judge.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Food.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, here. I promise I'm not, but:

How do people have problems eating "enough" of what should be a calorie deficit?

You'd be surprised. Every now and then I have to recalculate (change what I'm going to eat) to keep from going over but most of the time I have to work at not being under.

Oatmeal and raisins with a little full fat or 2% milk will give a good jump. I eat a piece of toast with 2 tlbs of cream cheese, bananas have a pretty decent calorie count, peanut butter, cheese...
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what people eat to get to their calorie goal of 1200 caleries :)

^^^food.
  • wellliving
    wellliving Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    good post- u know ur stuff
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think a 1200 calorie diet is crazy. I think start at 1500 at least. And then if you exercise, EAT the exercise calories. You need to eat to lose! And if you don't eat enough and you're not exercising, all you're losing is muscle and making yourself more flabby.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    ditto the peanut butter, but I never have a problem getting there lol:glasses:
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ok all you naysayers that say you shouldn't start at 1200 calories, my allowance is 1240. I seldom lose more than a pound a week and the reason for that is hypothyroidism which even with medication makes it difficult for me to lose. I almost never eat over 1300 and I find PLENTY to eat. Learn to cook and be creative...read labels. I have had pretty good success following my own rules and that is fine for you all with a healthy metabolism but it is not fine for me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd have trouble reaching 1200 calories. After all I certainly ate more than that to pile on my extra 25 pounds. But I just spent a weekend with my 92 year old mother who hardly eats anything and has no food in the house. I was under 1000 for three days! So glad to be home where I have more control over my intake.