Who else looks up Calories when eating out?

Options
13»

Replies

• EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Only since i started on MFP ....and i look the menu up before we go inside....
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Yes! Every time!!!!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do it before I get there and before I choose just in case i change my mind.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    I look up the calories before we go, if I know ahead of time where we are eating. If not I do it at the restaurant. My husband is always shocked at how many calories, fat, sugars, etc. are in some of the foods. We were out recently and I looked at some of the deserts, no way was I eating something that was 50 grams of fat, not to mention the 220 grams of sugar, I don't have that much time to workout!!!
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If a restaurant has a menu and nutrition info online, I will look it up before I go so I get a rough idea of what is way out there and what is reasonable. I've never shared it with the server, though :)

Me too. This is what I do. And, I try to find places that offer a 550 calorie and under selection (Applebees, Cheesecake Factory).
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I always look up the nutrituonal value for restaurants before I go out and eat (BJ's Brewhouse, Sushi, Ruby Tuesdays). You name it. Just because something sounds healthy doesnt mean it isnt loaded with butter and fat.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    If it's planned then ill fast all day and eat whatever i want on the menu. If eating out was last minute, then ill look up the calories.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I lookup calories pretty much everywhere. I get concerned about what to pick if I can't find calorie information at that particular place.
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I plan my meal before i even go out and do not look at the menu once i am there!! it has saved many weigh ins let me tell ya:)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    The S.O. doesn't like it when i'm on the computer during sexy time......
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What??? Everyone doesn't do this..... I was pretty sure they did lol
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I look it up if I know I'm going there ahead of time. I'm not going to sit in the restaurant googling nutrition info. I usually have about 1,000 calories left for dinner. Even the most calorific entrees would not generally be over 2,000 calories, and I'm only going to eat half of it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I log everything, so even if there's no nutritional info (which is a rarity these days, and getting better all the time, thankfully), I will find something similar and err on the side of over-logging calories to be safe.
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I only go to chain restaurants so I know exactly how many calories are in the meal.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I'm surprised that so many people do this--I mean, I would love to be able to do it, but I don't understand how you do it. I guess if you go out to chain restaurants, then sure, you can get the info. But if you go to a local restaurant, the odds that there is nutritional info available anywhere are pretty slim.

Not only that, but you can't really plug ingredient info just by reading a menu, since it is almost certain that they are adding cooking fat and huge amounts of sugar to everything and there seems to be no way to measure. Sure, you can ask a server, or the manager, but my guess is that the info you receive is either inaccurate or a simple lie.

I went out for Mexican food the other night and thought I was doing myself a favor ordering some grilled shrimp and brown rice, since the menu seemed to indicate that neither was cooked with oily marinades. Well, the rice had obviously seen a sauteing, and the shrimp was so sweet that I knew the critters and been steeping in sugar of some sort.

Eating out is a risk and/or a luxury, diet-wise.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Always Always ALWAYS! I will look it up ahead of time if I can and if not I will try to find a guide there and if that doesnt work then I will look it up with my droid while we wait for our drinks.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that so many people do this--I mean, I would love to be able to do it, but I don't understand how you do it. I guess if you go out to chain restaurants, then sure, you can get the info. But if you go to a local restaurant, the odds that there is nutritional info available anywhere are pretty slim.
    I always wonder about this. People so often say "almost all restaurants list their nutritional info online", so I assume the people who say that mainly go to chain restaurants. Maybe they don't have a lot of local places in their area?
    Eating out is a risk and/or a luxury, diet-wise.
    I guess so... But it never stopped me from losing, and I go out at least twice a week, and mostly at local restaurants where I have no idea what the calorie count is.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I do! I do!

Funny Story, We went to Texas Roadhouse a month or so ago. I asked the server if she had nutrition info (so I wouldn't have to use my phone to look it up).

Server comes back "We don't, but stay away from these rolls, they are about 400 calories a serving. The sirloin kabobs are a good low cal option".

My Mother-In-Law responds "Great we haven't even ordered and I have already ate 800 cals. Thanks Ted, I would rather not know!!!"

Now I get in trouble for asking. Ignorance is bliss.