Beginning to think it's Calories consumed vs. NET instead

Options

Replies

• Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had their BMR tested? Using the calculators online I got anywhere from 1280 to 1620 but when I had my metabolism tested it read out at 1910 BMR so that changes things quite a bit. So unless you have an official test done what you think your BMR is can be quite wrong. I'm female, 5'6", 180 lbs. 44 years young.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    wow ,ok i didnt read everything however i just joined this week and i went to the gym each day excluding today and i lost 2 lbs so far this week what iam find funny is that i eat the 1200 cals suggested by this app per day and keep track of my exercise throughout the day as well now it doesnt matter to me weather i exercise or not i do not go over my 1200 cals . i have also seen if you under eat that your body goes into starvation mode and stores everything consumed so its a catch 22 . my thoughts here is you should try and at least work off what you consume in one day to loose weight am i wrong in that? dont over eat and dont under eat you body needs fuel to function

Not actually starvation mode when you undereat, though your body may be starving for certain things besides basic energy.
    Slow down mode, for your metabolism is closer to truth.

If you really tried to "at least work off what you consume in one day" - that means you don't understand that your body, besides exercise, has needs too, like when sleeping. Please go to MFP - Tools - BMR Calc and at least read what BMR means, and you might calc what your body would like spend burning if it got it. If it doesn't, it'll slow down eventually.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had their BMR tested? Using the calculators online I got anywhere from 1280 to 1620 but when I had my metabolism tested it read out at 1910 BMR so that changes things quite a bit. So unless you have an official test done what you think your BMR is can be quite wrong. I'm female, 5'6", 180 lbs. 44 years young.

I'm not sure how you can specifically test your BMR, but I have had a calorimeter test twice now. I don't fully understand how it works, but you breathe into the machine for about 15 minutes, and based on your level of oxygen consumption, it figures out how many calories you've burned in the last 24 hours (TDEE, not BMR). Both times, it's been very close to what the I got when I used the MFP BMR calculator and multiplied the result by 1.2 (the common multiplier used for Sedentary).
  • heybales
    Options

There are only 3 calcs for BMR.

Harris-Benedict - oldest, used on most sites.
    Mifflin - newer, used on MFP and a few, considered 5% more accurate than Harris.
    Katch-McArdle - based on lean body mass, considered most accurate.

The studies those calcs are based on were for healthy weight people with avg Fat / LBM ratios, and were very tight bell curves, very good accuracy for the vast majority. So if the body is left to be at normal metabolism, it is indeed most likely decently accurate, within 5% either way.

The problem comes when you apply them outside the healthy weight range. The Harris and Mifflin inflate BMR for overweight or under-muscular. The Katch under-estimates for overweight.

Unless you were asleep for several hours hooked up to hose and mouth cover, you did not have your BMR tested.
    You probably sat in a chair or laying for some minutes, and had your RMR tested.

Now, either they gave that figure to you straight forward as RMR, or the tech confused things and told you BMR, or they converted it before giving it to you and gave you a BMR figure.

But since it's so much higher than the calculated ones, I'm guessing it's RMR, which should indeed be higher than BMR by an amount.

Congrats, because that appears much higher than I've seen for RMR over BMR spreads.

Please keep your metabolism flying high! It's your best friend in weight loss. Look at that, you couldn't get that much exercise burn in a normal day, probably not including daily activity calories either.
  • Kattarra
    Options
    I just checked the paperwork and you are so right! My RMR is 1901. I didn't realize it was different than BMR. It says my total energy output (TDEE I think) is 2669. Interesting.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a question.. I still have not figured this all out yet and I have been using this for almost 2 months now.. According to the calculator on this site it says my BMR is 2,280 ... after putting in my weight, height, age, sex, MFP gave me a calorie allowance of 1870 daily.. Is this too much? Should I lower it to 1200? I have a lot of weight to lose, so how important is it that I eat back my exercise calories?? Thanks for any info!

This site is not good with BMR since it doesnt know how much of you is actually fat and actually muscle. (This site says my BMR is 1360 but I went in the bod pod and it said I was 1189) Go the the gym and ask someone to get your body fat %. 1200 is pretty low for anyone but your BMR seems pretty high, unless you have ALOT of muscle. The more you have to loose, the lower you can go with cals. I was told by health and welness to eat a little above my BMR (I am eating 1350) . And if you work out, dont eat back your work out cals unless you net under 1200. So if you eat 1500 cals and work off 300, eat back 100. But this site is also pretty bad at saying you lost 600 cals for cleaning your house, when you only worked off 50. If you lift weights (which everyone should to help loose weight) you should eat a little more to feed your muscles.

This! Most people who have had their BMR actually tested come out with a lower number than generic online calculators!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I always eat my cals back with a net of 1200 and have been steady loosin...
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You should eat back half of how many calories you burn during exercise. NOT ALL. So if your goal is 1500 and you burn 500 calories your net would be 1,000 so you need to eat back 250 calories at a minimum. If you don't eat within 30 minutes of working out you lose half of your workout. I think it's more of what type of calories and foods people are putting into their bodies then eating back exercise calories. It also depends on a million different factors, age, gender, etc.

Sorry, I hate to potentially start another sub-thread here, but there is no evidence to suggest eating 30 minutes after a workout is better than eating say 4 hours after a workout (unless you are hungry of course!). Also, the only reason why you should not eat all your exercise calories back, assuming you already have an appropriate deficit built into your base and your base target does not include exercise, is really because of the fact that MFP and the exercise machines usually over-estimate them.

Ya I thought that was a totally bizarre thing to say. How can half your workout just "poof" disappear. Ummmm research!

I've done plenty of research http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/after-exercise-recovery-what-to-eat-and-drink.html

To quote:

These after-workout foods and drinks should be consumed as soon as possible after you are finished working out. Don’t wait longer than 30 minutes to refuel your body. For best results for after-workout recovery, combine protein and carbohydrates into one small meal. The combination of a protein- and carbohydrate-rich meal will increase your athletic performance and promote muscle recovery.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You should eat back half of how many calories you burn during exercise. NOT ALL. So if your goal is 1500 and you burn 500 calories your net would be 1,000 so you need to eat back 250 calories at a minimum. If you don't eat within 30 minutes of working out you lose half of your workout. I think it's more of what type of calories and foods people are putting into their bodies then eating back exercise calories. It also depends on a million different factors, age, gender, etc.

Sorry, I hate to potentially start another sub-thread here, but there is no evidence to suggest eating 30 minutes after a workout is better than eating say 4 hours after a workout (unless you are hungry of course!). Also, the only reason why you should not eat all your exercise calories back, assuming you already have an appropriate deficit built into your base and your base target does not include exercise, is really because of the fact that MFP and the exercise machines usually over-estimate them.

Ya I thought that was a totally bizarre thing to say. How can half your workout just "poof" disappear. Ummmm research!

I've done plenty of research http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/after-exercise-recovery-what-to-eat-and-drink.html

To quote:

These after-workout foods and drinks should be consumed as soon as possible after you are finished working out. Don’t wait longer than 30 minutes to refuel your body. For best results for after-workout recovery, combine protein and carbohydrates into one small meal. The combination of a protein- and carbohydrate-rich meal will increase your athletic performance and promote muscle recovery.

You misunderstood what I said. I never said okay you workout and eat 3 hours later and there goes your work out. But your muscles need to refuel soon after a workout and if nothing is going in then they have nothing to work with.
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    bump
  • tinkb1
    tinkb1 Posts: 3
    Options
    yes i did calculate it using the bmr on this app i think you misunderstood what i was saying but its ok. for me 2lbs this week is excellent im not complaining at all. I am just saying from the research ive done by reading magazines and online that not eating enough causes your body to store fat and goes into storage mode . i am working out many times per week, but i also read that you should try to work off as much as you intake that was a quote from Julian micheals iam so confused by that remark bc iam not burning that much cals per day i only want to loose 15 lbs that is it. Ive followed the eat clean regime so eating healthy and all this isnt strange to me at all. but where i am confused is the whole working off what you consume is that a myth or is that truth bc this app adds cals to your bottom line if you burn them off this is where iam questioning it i should of made myself more clear. liek the statement less is more so to speak like if i burned less cals would that make things more in my favour ect.
  • tinkb1
    tinkb1 Posts: 3
    Options

To quote:

You misunderstood what I said. I never said okay you workout and eat 3 hours later and there goes your work out. But your muscles need to refuel soon after a workout and if nothing is going in then they have nothing to work with.
    i find that if i work out and i am needing refuel then by all means i refuel within means and the best post workout is egg whites or protien bc it helps the mucsles :) so for me i do eat to refuel i still lost weight clean homemade pretien bars are the best :)
  • heybales
    Options
    yes i did calculate it using the bmr on this app i think you misunderstood what i was saying but its ok. for me 2lbs this week is excellent im not complaining at all. I am just saying from the research ive done by reading magazines and online that not eating enough causes your body to store fat and goes into storage mode . i am working out many times per week, but i also read that you should try to work off as much as you intake that was a quote from Julian micheals iam so confused by that remark bc iam not burning that much cals per day i only want to loose 15 lbs that is it. Ive followed the eat clean regime so eating healthy and all this isnt strange to me at all. but where i am confused is the whole working off what you consume is that a myth or is that truth bc this app adds cals to your bottom line if you burn them off this is where iam questioning it i should of made myself more clear. liek the statement less is more so to speak like if i burned less cals would that make things more in my favour ect.

You misunderstood her comment, or it was before she had her revelation and acknowledged in a book she wasn't feeding herself properly in the past, distant past I believe.

Just the logic of that statement, true, doesn't make sense. Your body uses energy all day long, more energy used non-exercise than what you do exercise.
    If you were to try to exercise off everything you consumed, the body would have nothing left for everything else, fat store would be used for some stuff, like 70% if you slept rest of the day. But you would still have problems.

Yes, credit calories are added to your daily goal after you log exercise - because there is ALREADY a deficit put into your daily goal. You don't want/need the exercise making a bigger deficit that is unwise.
  • heybales
    Options

This site is not good with BMR since it doesnt know how much of you is actually fat and actually muscle. (This site says my BMR is 1360 but I went in the bod pod and it said I was 1189) Go the the gym and ask someone to get your body fat %. 1200 is pretty low for anyone but your BMR seems pretty high, unless you have ALOT of muscle. The more you have to loose, the lower you can go with cals. I was told by health and welness to eat a little above my BMR (I am eating 1350) . And if you work out, dont eat back your work out cals unless you net under 1200. So if you eat 1500 cals and work off 300, eat back 100. But this site is also pretty bad at saying you lost 600 cals for cleaning your house, when you only worked off 50. If you lift weights (which everyone should to help loose weight) you should eat a little more to feed your muscles.

This! Most people who have had their BMR actually tested come out with a lower number than generic online calculators!

Only because at the time most people have it tested they have been dieting with too extreme a deficit, and have stalled in their weight loss, and are wondering what is going on. They have already slowed their metabolism down, and the test just proves the point.

What the test should prove is it's time to eat more to speed it back up, rather than foolishly eating even less and forcing it slower.

The body comp BMR calc is very accurate for 95% of population with 5% spread, the others are within 10%.

Actually, I fail to see how BodPod test of bodyfat% could give any kind of BMR estimate - they probably just used the Katch formula in above case. And indeed, Katch compared to Mifflin on MFP is more accurate. So she had less muscle than expected for her age/weight/height.

Here is case study showing what happens all too often with diets.
    A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.

According to your recommendation, this lady should have started eating at around 950 calories then. Sure glad they didn't all believe the RMR test was telling them where she should be, rather than the truth that she was where she should NOT be.

The random studies of BMR testing on healthy people NOT on a diet reveal great accuracy of the formula. Overweight the age/height/weight can be inflated, but the Katch is more accurate then.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    There is generally a big difference between bmr and maintenance (mine is around 1000 cals) so the people you say are most successful by eating close to maintenance are more than likely also netting above bmr unless they are doing huge amounts of exercise.

I like the idea of eating at maintenance and creating deficit just from exercise, that's what I'll be doing as I get smaller and my deficit matches the amount of exercise I do :-)
  • heybales
    Options
    I just checked the paperwork and you are so right! My RMR is 1901. I didn't realize it was different than BMR. It says my total energy output (TDEE I think) is 2669. Interesting.

Interesting backtracking available to BMR, from your RMR figure.

Cunningham RMR formula relates to LBM, which then used in Katch BMR calc that uses LBM, can give that estimate better.

RMR = 500 + (22 * LBM kg)
    (1901 - 500) / 22 = LBM kg
    LBM = 63.68 kg or 140.4 lbs

So that RMR of 1901 is expected for someone with a LBM of 140 lbs
    So if you had a bodyfat% check at the time, and your lean body mass was more than 140 lbs, then your metabolism is less than expected. If less than 140 lbs, than RMR is more than expected.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM kg)
    BMR = 1745

So that BMR is either higher or lower just as RMR is. And you can compare it to the MFP BMR calc, which they are using.

So I hope that wasn't a test done before you started dieting, and you don't know what it is now.

Not sure how they got TDEE, unless they gave you a special drink of heavy water. No, seriously, heavy water, and, uh, waited.
  • Kattarra
    Options

Interesting backtracking available to BMR, from your RMR figure.

Cunningham RMR formula relates to LBM, which then used in Katch BMR calc that uses LBM, can give that estimate better.

RMR = 500 + (22 * LBM kg)
    (1901 - 500) / 22 = LBM kg
    LBM = 63.68 kg or 140.4 lbs

So that RMR of 1901 is expected for someone with a LBM of 140 lbs
    So if you had a bodyfat% check at the time, and your lean body mass was more than 140 lbs, then your metabolism is less than expected. If less than 140 lbs, than RMR is more than expected.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM kg)
    BMR = 1745

So that BMR is either higher or lower just as RMR is. And you can compare it to the MFP BMR calc, which they are using.

So I hope that wasn't a test done before you started dieting, and you don't know what it is now.

Not sure how they got TDEE, unless they gave you a special drink of heavy water. No, seriously, heavy water, and, uh, waited.

I also had a bodpod test done and my body fat is 42% and lean body mass of 104 pounds. I have been lifting heavy weights 3 days a week and doing cardio 3-5 days a week for 3 months and eating around 1800 cals on my workout days and 1400-1500 cals on my rest days and im eating at least 100g of protein a day. The bodpod and metabolism test was done April 13th. TDEE was just calculated as RMR plus activity plus some exercise.

This is still so confusing and I don't know if I should change anything yet or wait and see what happens.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The more I watch people's weight loss journey's the more I am convinced that as long as your "calories consumed" is over your BMR it does not matter what you burn off.....

I have tried all methods, eating 1200 and excercise cal back, eating my BMR plus exercise calories, eating TDEE -15%, and the people I see with the greatest results and consistant weight losses are the ones who regularily eat over their BMR, closest to maintenance and don't bother with worrying about their net calories even if they are UNDER their BMR...

Could it be that eating back what you burn off is the reason people are not losing weight ? Maybe our body's do not care if we net below our BMR as long as we EAT/CONSUME over BMR's ????

I think the word NET is what is screwing everyone up on here.....just eat over your BMR and leave it at that !

Thoughts ???

I posted very similar thoughts about a week ago. A couple people got it, most didn't. As far as I can tell, "netting BMR" can mean one of two things:

If you ignore the MFP interface (which treats calories from your activity level and calories from exercise differently), then "netting BMR" means the same as "eating TDEE", which would result in no weight gain or loss.

If you use MFP's display of calories, then people who set a higher activity level in their profile can eat more calories while still looking like they "net their BMR", even if they have identical caloric intake and TDEE as someone who set their activity level to Sedentary and just logged more exercise. In other words, what MFP shows as your Net Calories for the day are completely meaningless when compared to your BMR.

It may be a good thing to consume more calories (gross, not net) than your BMR. I don't know that for certain one way or another, but beyond that, the only thing that matters is TDEE. Eat less than TDEE, lose weight over time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/566837-exercise-calories-versus-daily-activity-eating-bmr

Netting bmr is not the same as eating tdee. My tdee is 2600, I eat around 2000 and net after exercise is around 1600 (bmr is 1568).
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump for another day.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories but I eat back all my exercise calories and go by weekly calories rather than daily. I'm losing the 1lb per week I'm supposed to be. Maybe weekly calorie counting is the way to go as there's some variance then?