Beginning to think it's Calories consumed vs. NET instead

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat within 30 minutes of working out you lose half of your workout.

I have never heard this. Where does this info come from???
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have found my evening reading :)
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I rarely net my BMR unless its beer time LOL
    I have lost 25lbs since christmas and going stong.
    I dont know if this will continue but Im full and feeling better than ever so Ill keep going and if I hit a plateau Ill change it up.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me

I've lost 22lbs
    I've 71 lbs to lose
    I'm 42 female 207lbs 5ft 2
    I do 2 Zumba classes a week & 3 wii Zumba a week
    3000 calories burnt
    I was eating 1310 calories a day
    Then lowered at mfp recommendation as I'd list 2x10lbs
    My weightloss is stalling people have helped me saying I should eat more rat my net = my BMR 1649

Now after reading this I'm worried I shouldn't eat net of 1649

I've eaten 1350 or under Net since Tuesday as it was only 620 net before

Can someone tell me how many calories I should eat to lose 1-2 lbs a week do I eat net 1350 or calories 1649
    Or something else ?

Thanks

It's a bit hard to pick the relevant numbers out of this. When you say "3000 calories burnt", is that your total for an average day? If so, then you can eat between 2000 and 2500 (total, not net) and be in a perfect zone for weight loss.

It's your total calories consumed versus TDEE (total calories burned) that matters. Throwing the "net" numbers around just confuses people.

3000 Zumba calories a week
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Can someone tell me how many calories I should eat to lose 1-2 lbs a week do I eat net 1350 or calories 1649
    Or something else ?

Thanks

Your TDEE is 2549. A 1 pound a week loss would be 500 calories less than that per day. A 2 pound a week loss would be 1,000 calories less than that a day, and put you below BMR at 1549. Better to shoot for up to 1.5 pounds a week loss. That would be 2549 - 750 = 1799.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump for after my movie lol
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Could it be that eating back what you burn off is the reason people are not losing weight ? Maybe our body's do not care if we net below our BMR as long as we EAT/CONSUME over BMR's ????

I think the word NET is what is screwing everyone up on here.....just eat over your BMR and leave it at that !

Thoughts ???

I think that's horrible advice. I always NET over BMR and eat back my exercise calories, and I've managed to hit goal/the bottom of the healthy BMI scale.

I'm still not sure why you think having your net calories (as MFP displays them) be over your BMR matters at all. This is an example from another thread I posted, but it's relevant here:

Let's take two hypothetical MFP users, Bob and Steve. Both have the same BMR of exactly 2000. Bob sets his activity level at Sedentary and logs all of his exercise into MFP; Steve sets his activity level to Active, and logs fewer exercise activities. For the purposes of this example, let's say the multipliers for Sedentary and Active are 1.2 and 1.6, respectively, putting the calories burned estimates for Bob and Steve at 2400 and 3200.

Here's where your logic falls apart. Bob logs 1000 calories of exercise for the day, and Steve logs 200. They both wind up at a TDEE of 3400. They both eat 2900 calories worth of food, leaving them at exactly the same deficit for the day.

Bob's net calories display as 1900 at the end of the day (100 less than his BMR), and Steve's net calories display as 2700. They both burned exactly the same number of calories, and both ate exactly the same number.

Conclusion: What MFP displays as your net calories consumed is a meaningless number.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My head hurts.
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    saving this to read later.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    Can someone help me

I've lost 22lbs
    I've 71 lbs to lose
    I'm 42 female 207lbs 5ft 2
    I do 2 Zumba classes a week & 3 wii Zumba a week
    3000 calories burnt
    I was eating 1310 calories a day
    Then lowered at mfp recommendation as I'd list 2x10lbs
    My weightloss is stalling people have helped me saying I should eat more rat my net = my BMR 1649

Now after reading this I'm worried I shouldn't eat net of 1649

I've eaten 1350 or under Net since Tuesday as it was only 620 net before

Or something else ?

Thanks

It's a bit hard to pick the relevant numbers out of this. When you say "3000 calories burnt", is that your total for an average day? If so, then you can eat between 2000 and 2500 (total, not net) and be in a perfect zone for weight loss.

It's your total calories consumed versus TDEE (total calories burned) that matters. Throwing the "net" numbers around just confuses people.

3000 Zumba calories a week

Ah, ok, then that number doesn't really help.

As a general guideline, just eat at least your BMR (1649 gross), maintain a reasonable deficit (no more than 1000 calories below your TDEE), and ignore what your net calories says on MFP at the end of the day.
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia and agree with OP that eating over my BMR -NET- is what has helped me lose 15 pounds in 2 months and be smaller than I've ever been in my life. First, my BMR is 1429 or something. So I eat 1500 cals AT LEAST a day. Then I increase my activity to make sure I burn 2000+ calories a day, maintaining a 500-calorie deficit.

Yes the BodyMedia is expensive (about $180) but the data it gives me is priceless. And so is losing 15 pounds in 11 weeks without having to worry about what I eat.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am honestly having a hard time seeing the difference between eating above BMR and not eating exercise calories back and eating below BMR but consuming exercise calories...

You eat above. You exercise. You land between 1200-1300 cals per day. You lose.
    You eat below. You exercise. You eat back exercise calories. You land with a net between 1200-1300 per day. You lose.

See why I'm having a hard time seeing what you're saying?

Because take me for example...

BMR 1500
    TDEE 2500

If I eat 2000 ( 500 deficit) , exercise off 600 than eat that back....total consumed is 2600, above my TDEE = don't lose

If I eat 1200, exercise off 600,... eat that back, that's 1800, still higher than BMR, don't lose.....

If I eat 1800( higher than BMR but yet not TDEE) , exercise off 600, don't eat anything back..( netting less than BMR).. I lose !..
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Eat under your BMR only if you have been in bed all day doing nothing, otherwise you have more than likely burned more calories than what your BMR is.

I am not suggesting eating under your BMR....or even at it..... I am saying those that eat high calories, EXERCISE down below their BMR and are successful with this method.....and they don't eat it back up....

I wonder whether there's a difference between those with very high exercise/activity levels and others? I remember working in a very active job on a farm one summer and being astounded how much I managed to eat while still losing weight (we're talking whole loaves of bread at asitting with a full fry up on the side here!) But maybe not realistic for most people. Sorry if this repeats someone else's point, I did have time to read them all!
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    I am honestly having a hard time seeing the difference between eating above BMR and not eating exercise calories back and eating below BMR but consuming exercise calories...

You eat below. You exercise. You eat back exercise calories. You land with a net between 1200-1300 per day. You lose.

BMR 1500
    TDEE 2500

If I eat 2000 ( 500 deficit) , exercise off 600 than eat that back....total consumed is 2600, above my TDEE = don't lose

If I eat 1200, exercise off 600,... eat that back, that's 1800, still higher than BMR, don't lose.....

If I eat 1800( higher than BMR but yet not TDEE) , exercise off 600, don't eat anything back..( netting less than BMR).. I lose !..

That's not quite right. Your TDEE goes up when you exercise, so if you burned another 600 and ate another 600, you're still at a 500 deficit, and should lose an average of a pound a week or thereabouts.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Unless I've missed something major, isn't that what we are supposed to be doing according to the majorrity of MFP thread advice? It mostly suggests eating above BMR but below TDEE. When I was trying to make sense of all this I came across a website review saying that medical thinking was that no woman should eat below 1200 or a man below 1800 I think it was - but it didn't seem to be based on anything much except perhaps averages...

BMR 1500
    TDEE 2500

• Ultrafan14
    Options
    The more I watch people's weight loss journey's the more I am convinced that as long as your "calories consumed" is over your BMR it does not matter what you burn off.....

I have tried all methods, eating 1200 and excercise cal back, eating my BMR plus exercise calories, eating TDEE -15%, and the people I see with the greatest results and consistant weight losses are the ones who regularily eat over their BMR, closest to maintenance and don't bother with worrying about their net calories even if they are UNDER their BMR...

Could it be that eating back what you burn off is the reason people are not losing weight ? Maybe our body's do not care if we net below our BMR as long as we EAT/CONSUME over BMR's ????

I think the word NET is what is screwing everyone up on here.....just eat over your BMR and leave it at that !

Thoughts ???

I know I will sound REALLY stupid...but I am beyond confused when it comes to the 'Regular' BMR and then the net and all that....I burn close if not a bit over 1000 cals a day in excersice and I was eating about 1400 clas...my BMR is 1600 apparenty....didn't work....THEN I ate whatever htins thing would tell me were my net calories which was 1200...didn't work...I'm so confused now I have no idea what I'm doing hahaha I've decided to a bit less than my BMR and my excersice cals together so around maybe 2200 and see if that works.....=\
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    White MFP recommendations are working for you right now, you only joined this month. The reason I started this thread was because MANY on here stall out or "plateau" on their weight loss which leads to discussions about BMR and TDEE..... you will probably have a different opinion in a few months :)

I'll accept that, but I've also read the introductory materials that recommend I review and probably reduce my weight loss rate as I get nearer my ideal weight. In a few more pounds, I'm planning on reducing my goal to a pound-and-a-half a week. When I hit about 8 pounds to go, I'll probably slow it to one-a-week.

I'm not disputing your longer experience with the site, only trying to say that for a new user, you're going to get a lot of reactions like "my head hurts" and "this is all too confusing".
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

BMR 1500
    TDEE 2500

Everyone's body is different.

When I lost my first 30lbs (also using MFP) I used MFP EXACTLY as it's programmed. I ate 1200 cals a day. If I exercised I logged it and ate back my exercise cals. Using that method I lost 30lbs in four months eating around 1600-1800 calories a day (my TDEE is like 2400).

Now I'm trying to use the whole TDEE method and I haven't lost a single point in two months. *shrug* I'm back to using MFP the way it's programmed instead of trying a different method.

So it really is a very subjective thing and people just have to figure out which method works for them.
  • neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump