how much popcorn is too much?

Options
I buy the orville kernels and pop them on my stove top.. I usually eat 4 cups of popcorn with only half a tbsp of olive oil. The olive oil adds no taste, its just mandatory when popping the kernels or else they'll burn and stick to the pan.

anyways, am i eating too much popcorn? I've been told it's healthy and I've become sort of attached to it lol

Replies

• thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I buy the orville kernels and pop them on my stove top.. I usually eat 4 cups of popcorn with only half a tbsp of olive oil. The olive oil adds no taste, its just mandatory when popping the kernels or else they'll burn and stick to the pan.

anyways, am i eating too much popcorn? I've been told it's healthy and I've become sort of attached to it lol

1 kernel is too much, corn is a grain and bad for you. We have not evolved to properly digest grains.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

1 kernel is too much, corn is a grain and bad for you. We have not evolved to properly digest grains.

:noway:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    POPCORN! POPCORN! Who wants POPCORN? I do! I do! Too much is never enough:love:
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So long as it fits within your macros and calories you can go to town with it.
  • Antjebeth08
    Antjebeth08 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make mine in a pan on the stove too and just use a quick spray of olive oil. I haven't had any sticking/burning issues and it is delicious I don't think I could ever give it up.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn!! Never giving it up :tongue:
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think that's too much. It's pretty low in calorie (by itself) which is how I eat it. Call me strange, I like the natural taste without butter or seasoning. As long as it's not causing you to go over your allotment, have at it and some.
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    popcorn is low calorie and has some fiber. olive oil is a great fat for you if you dont go overboard 1tablespoon is the serving size but you can also pop the kernels in a brown paper bag in the microwave or you should in invest in an air popcorn machine. as long as you don't add high calorie toppings i would say 4 cups is fine but i think the serving when it is popped is 2 cups
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    4 cups seems totally reasonable. I used to eat literally 5 times that, with full butter and salt for an after dinner 'snack'.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I can eat my weight in popcorn in one sitting, if its available! lol The way you are eating it is great! Healthy and in moderation! I do it that way too sometimes, but other times, there is a stick of butter involved. OR a refillable tub at the movies. hehe
  • ayoubm3949
    Options
    okayyy thanks a lot :)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Here's my technique for getting the most out of popcorn.
    1. Weigh popcorn in grams. Weight is more accurate than volume and that's important for calorie dense foods like popcorn. It's the same weight uncooked as cooked, of course. It's easier to weigh uncooked but if you're sharing you'll probably want to weigh your own cooked portion.

2. Put the oil in the pan and add one single kernel.

3. Heat the oil until that kernel pops.

4. Remove the pan from heat and add the rest of the popcorn. Your pan should be large enough so each kernel touches the oil on the base of the pan. Move the pan around so the hot oil touches each kernel.

5. Return the pan to the heat. Wait until the popping ceases.

Done. I find that method is most efficient and heating the kernels evenly. So almost every one pops and there's rarely any burning.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ooooohhh popcorn! great idea! :love:
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    mmmm popcorn. i say eat as much as you want as long as it fits your goals. lots of fiber and low fat!

i have to make mine in the microwave in a paper bag because every time i try on the stove they just burn o_o
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I LOVE popcorn!! It is a great snack for such low calories you get a ton! Enjoy and don't go over board and you will be just fine, as with anything else :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Here's my technique for getting the most out of popcorn.
    1. Weigh popcorn in grams. Weight is more accurate than volume and that's important for calorie dense foods like popcorn. It's the same weight uncooked as cooked, of course. It's easier to weigh uncooked but if you're sharing you'll probably want to weigh your own cooked portion.

2. Put the oil in the pan and add one single kernel.

3. Heat the oil until that kernel pops.

4. Remove the pan from heat and add the rest of the popcorn. Your pan should be large enough so each kernel touches the oil on the base of the pan. Move the pan around so the hot oil touches each kernel.

5. Return the pan to the heat. Wait until the popping ceases.

Done. I find that method is most efficient and heating the kernels evenly. So almost every one pops and there's rarely any burning.

Good advice as mine often burns! X
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ooo now I want popcorn! Yeah so long as you don't add butter and salt I would think you could eat as much as you like. Its high in fibre. That much popcorn even plain would be quite a few calories though wouldn't it? I love popcorn but I air pop mine
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I eat a bag of popcorn a night almost.

It's the Walmart Brand, 240 calories and 9 grams of fat and 400 or so mg of sodium....it's delicious!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    You must not have seen the good news! popcorn is the new superfood, no i'm not kidding. Munch up! :drinker:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/26/antioxidants-in-popcorn-polyphenols_n_1380334.html
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into my day, I eat a large bag of low fat popcorn everyday. It's a whole grain and it helps with elimination. If you know what I mean. I love it.