how much popcorn is too much?

Options

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-8 cups of popcorn almost every day. I :heart: POPCORN!! Enjoy! :drinker:
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It's a great snack and super low in calories, plus it has fiber! 4 cups of popcorn has about as many calories as four medium sized sugar cookies, which wouldn't even have half the nutritional benefit. Go for it, girl.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is never "too much" when it comes to popcorn! It's my favorite snack, especially when I'm hungry and out of calories for the day. I use an air popper and top with butter flavor popcorn seasoning or some 'I can't believe it's not butter!" olive oil spray. Gives it alittle butter taste since adding real butter would kill all the benefits. I admit, I would love to pour me some butter on it, however, I digress........
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    As long as it's within your calorie limit, go ahead and enjoy it!
    I saw on tv that you can just put the kernels in a paper bag, and put it in the microwave. Once popped, spray with oil spray (so the salt will stick), sprinkle salt and voila! This way, I save about 120 calories by not using a tbsp of oil.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat about 6 cups of the 94% fat free kind all the time...it's low calories...has lots of fiber and it's delicious!! :flowerforyou:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this but have yet to find somewhere in the Uk to get those paper bags, GRRRR.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 mini bags, only 200 calories...Yum
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    I got a hot air popcorn popper and I LOVE it! No oil or butter needed. I love popcorn and have it at least a couple times a week maybe more. As long as it fits within my cals. :)
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Unless you're talking about 4 cups of unpopped kernels!!! hahahaha!
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance - Smart & Healthy (low fat, low sodium), 1 bagged popped is 4 cups popped with 80 calories, 16g Protein, & 20g Fiber.

I love it and it has really helped me fight cravings at time without adding a lot of calories.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Is there any such thing?

Too much popcorn, bah humbug...
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have mine one of 3 ways, depending on what I'm in the mood for. Usually 3 cups air popped popcorn (I have a popper), and either one of these 3 tasty ways:

1. with 1tbsp butter/margarine and a dash of salt,

2. with 2tbsp honey and a few dashes of pepper (got that from Weight Watchers magazine), or

3. with 2tbsp parmesan cheese and 10 pecans, broken up (on the Fitbie website)

Each of these ways are great, and this way I never have to settle for just boring old popcorn if I don't want it!!! :happy:
  • ayoubm3949
    Options
    thanks for the advice every one :) it really helped!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I buy the orville kernels and pop them on my stove top.. I usually eat 4 cups of popcorn with only half a tbsp of olive oil. The olive oil adds no taste, its just mandatory when popping the kernels or else they'll burn and stick to the pan.

anyways, am i eating too much popcorn? I've been told it's healthy and I've become sort of attached to it lol

1 kernel is too much, corn is a grain and bad for you. We have not evolved to properly digest grains.

WOW....Grains are not bad for you - we are evolved enough and do not need to live like cavemen...Well, actually I thing they ate grains too....
    four cups are not bad, as long as it fits into your calories and macros - and it's better than four cups of chips!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    too much popcorn? never!!! LOL I am a popcorn lover as well, I started buying organic non gmo popcorn, and now pop in it a brown paper lunch bag with no oil in the micro...
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Orville Red. makes a Light Butter Popcorn (micro) and it makes 5.5 cups.. less than 100cals for the whole thing!
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    I buy the orville kernels and pop them on my stove top.. I usually eat 4 cups of popcorn with only half a tbsp of olive oil. The olive oil adds no taste, its just mandatory when popping the kernels or else they'll burn and stick to the pan.

anyways, am i eating too much popcorn? I've been told it's healthy and I've become sort of attached to it lol

1 kernel is too much, corn is a grain and bad for you. We have not evolved to properly digest grains.

Bahahahahahahaha! Apparently some people are not evolved enough!!!!!
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    3-4 cups of plain popcorn only has about 100 calories
    ooo now I want popcorn! Yeah so long as you don't add butter and salt I would think you could eat as much as you like. Its high in fibre. That much popcorn even plain would be quite a few calories though wouldn't it? I love popcorn but I air pop mine
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Get an air popper, then use a *little* popcorn seasoning if you need some extra flavor. Another; buy 100 calorie packs. Those are quick and easy and they come plain, butter, and kettle corn flavors.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My rule usually is: when I black out,
    I back it off by half a cup ;)

I would say as long as its not a significant part of your diet it would be ok.