Dating Advice??

Options
britzzie
britzzie Posts: 341 Member
With my recent weight loss, I have the confidence to date again. Restaurants, as we all know, pose a bit of a problem. Ordering modified dishes is how to address it, but when I do that, I feel like I will have to explain that I'm trying to lose weight. Which could lead to questions about how much I have lost and (god no) have to go. How should I address this? Help!

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Use those nigths as cheat nights or just try to order the best standard fair the place has. You're supposed to be having a good time.

You can burn the extra calories later. *wink**wink*
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    i order modified dishes and I don't feel the need to explain it.

just order as you would and ask if they can make certain adjustments.

Don't talk about the weight loss if you don't want to.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    With my recent weight loss, I have the confidence to date again. Restaurants, as we all know, pose a bit of a problem. Ordering modified dishes is how to address it, but when I do that, I feel like I will have to explain that I'm trying to lose weight. Which could lead to questions about how much I have lost and (god no) have to go. How should I address this? Help!

No need to explain. Just do, go and have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Yup I just ask for modified dishes and never get questions or explain xD
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much. Either order the modified dishes (most people if new to dating don't tend to ask really) OR just scout out the menu before you go, choose a healthier option and set aside half (since that's all you really need).
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I would just say "I try to watch my weight" and leave it at that! But don't be too annoying about your order because the guy might think you are too picky!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This is why it is important to plan ahead. Most chain restaurants have nutirition information online and you can do your scouting before hand and decide what you are going to eat. Restaurants that aren't chains at least post their menu online so you can still get a general idea by using the database. Log what you are going to eat before you go and STICK TO IT. Or at least have a general plan (ONE glass of wine, a seafood dish without breading, salad for a side, etc.)

And don't feel embarrassed about making changes to your order. Most restaurants are used to people making specific requests nowadays, especially for allergies and such. A a prior server, as long as you know exactly what modifications before ordering and don't hem and haw over them, then you won't be bothersome.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I just order how I order. I usually always customize a dish at a restaurant that coincides with my goals. If my "date" doesn't like it, then oh well. I don't try to change my routine for other people. I'm very goal oriented and either the person jumps onboard with it, or doesn't. It's as simple as that.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you guys start dating he'll find out the details down the line anyway. May as well do your thing and let the chips fall where they may.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    3 options for you:

1 - **** it and enjoy yourself. It's just one meal
    2 - workout earlier in the day
    3 - Eat in moderation - if you are like myself and dont believe in wasting food, ask for modified proportions, as previously suggested
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No need to explain your adjustments, you like your food the way you like it.

I've gotten used to being a complete pain at restaurants. The only benefit of my dairy allergy, it cuts all the fat out.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I would just say "I try to watch my weight" and leave it at that! But don't be too annoying about your order because the guy might think you are too picky!

I disagree. Be as annoying and picky as you want.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Just say you don't want to fill up now. You might want dessert later. Then wink:wink: ....... boom problem solved that'll be $19 95 I'm a beachbody coach pm me for more details:laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to talk about my weight on a first date either... I get that. But just order what you will, however you like it, and then look back to dude and "So, how about anal sex?"

or some other more appropriate date topic.... he won't be thinking about your food order anymore.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bumpppp
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Just say you don't want to fill up now. You might want dessert later. Then wink..... boom problem solved that'll be $19 95 I'm a bj coach pm me for more details:laugh:

Haha ok Mr. Miyagi =)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The way you order something specific to you doesn't need to be explained as a diet or a phase or a fad. Think of it like the movie When Harry Met Sally. Sally knew exactly how she wanted everything ordered when she'd eat at a restaurant, and Harry fell in love with her and was okay with the fact that everything was ordered "on the side". If you're confident in what you want for yourself, guys will see that confidence and love you for it. No need to be ashamed of where you're coming from, just be proud of where you're going. :)
  • WickedBoss
    Options

Just date a guys from MyFitnessPal ! ;)
  • momma2Lulu
    Options
    i always look up the menu online to make sure there is something i can eat that won't make me sick (i have Crohn's Disease) and order modified stuff if the group has picked a place i can't really eat at or i say hey i can't eat anything there and offer a similar place that has something i can eat but would still appeal to most everyone.

when i order modified food i do feel silly but i don't elaborate as to why unless specifically asked, which really doesn't happen that much unless someones kid is old enough to notice & wonder and young enough to not know better and asks. i calmly explain the w/o item makes me sick (that is all i say) so i can't eat it while the parent typically tells there kid that its not ok to ask those questions

my favorite modified food was the cajun chicken without cajun (basically grilled plain chicken) at chilis :) my weakness is a pasta dish as its typically a safe food that won't make me sick but it does have a lot of calories so i try to keep it balance now :)
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem myself and for a while I was only going on dates a couple of times a month so I just used them as a cheat day. It sometimes makes me feel high maintenance but you know what if it bothers him then there isn't much hope for a future anyways right. My last dinner date wanted to eat Italian, (I'm low carb) THAT was painful, I just gave in!