Beware "natural flavors"

Options
13»

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You should Google and find out how many maggots are allowed in pizza sauce and how many rat hairs can be in a jar of pickles. Yep, the FDA allows this. Why? Impossible to get it all out. As a former rat owner I probably ate more than my share from them crawling on my clothes so no biggie. I consider the maggots extra protein. And the red beetle dye? Well I do like me some Mike & Ike occasionally.

I doubt any of the above or said Beaver's butt are the worse things I have ever eaten. And since raspberries taste better than brussel sprouts i will stick to beaver butt (not Bieber butt).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    raspberries taste like *kitten*
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You should lobby congress to add the words: "Product May Contain Beaver Butt" or "Product made in factory near Beaver Butt" to any and all applicable labels, like they did with wheat and diary products.

I agree, which is the part that I seem to have left off of my original post. Just allowing "natural flavors" to be added to the label is misleading to people who don't want to eat any part of an animal. Yes, I understand it is actually natural, just animal natural rather than vegetable(fruit)(flower)-natural.

I also believe that processed foods should not be allowed to add to their label "spices". I am unable to eat certain spices... and whatever "spices" means to one manufacturer may not be the same for all, so I just have to skip it entirely.

I did not see this on Dr. Oz because I don't watch that. The person who mentioned it may have seen that episode, maybe there is something else they can add?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    Options
    You should Google and find out how many maggots are allowed in pizza sauce and how many rat hairs can be in a jar of pickles. Yep, the FDA allows this. Why? Impossible to get it all out. As a former rat owner I probably ate more than my share from them crawling on my clothes so no biggie. I consider the maggots extra protein. And the red beetle dye? Well I do like me some Mike & Ike occasionally.

I doubt any of the above or said Beaver's butt are the worse things I have ever eaten. And since raspberries taste better than brussel sprouts i will stick to beaver butt (not Bieber butt).

I am already aware of the other things the FDA will allow. Not all of it I'm sure because I don't know everything... but I was aware of the type of things you mentioned above. I was NOT aware of this subject, as I stated in my OP. Thanks for paying attention though.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    Options
    How is this not natural? It's from a beaver. They live in nature.

Milk comes from a cow's tits. Does that make it gross too?

Yes, it's natural. And yes, milk is gross. Not because it comes from a cow but just because I don't like the taste of it... but milk packaging -- well, now, I don't know if it does or doesn't state that it comes from cows because I don't drink the stuff and don't use it for anything else either...

You're right, beavers live in nature, they are all natural. So is excrement but I don't want to eat it if I can avoid it. Our FDA says we CAN'T avoid it and allows quite a bit of it into our food... but to PURPOSEFULLY put it in my food, I say NO!

But request for honesty in ingredients on packaging is what I suppose I should have titled this post more than anything else.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Haha....you should see the specs on some of the stuff that's allowable in foods. :flowerforyou: I doubt you're going to see insect parts and the like on labels. :laugh:
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1. If you heard it on Dr. Oz, it's probably bull.
    2. The FDA will approve just about anything if you pay them enough. :wink:
    (and, I hate to say it, but it IS a natural source ;P)
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    *shrug*

People pay a ton of money for perfume made from the anal gland of a civet and sperm whale vomit

Personally from previous work at a vet clinic, you don't want your face anywhere near a dog's butt when expressing anal glands. Someone learned the hard way trying to get a good look while they did it