My therapist was right

Options
2»

Replies

• TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    She said you know you're getting too fat you your underwear no longer fits. I had to buy a new bra today, my bra now has three hooks instead of two :(

This will be my new motivation when I wake up in the morning for the gym...".your bra has three hooks, get out of bed and go to the gym"!

I think the 3 hook thing has to do with how big your cup size is. I have been a 34DDD since I was 18 and I only weighed 135 at the time. So.....I dont really know what my point was anymore lol :) to hungry. Waiting for hubby to get home so we can eat dinner since the kids are with the grandparents tonight anyways..........
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    She didn't say it TO me, like telling me I was getting fat (or talking about MY undies per se)...we were talking about weight gain, it was more a general statement. And when you're comfortable with someone and you've been seeing the same one for years, you'd be surprised what comes up in conversation.
    Ummm... Years? Friend or therapist?
    It's pretty normal to have the same therapist for years, especially if you're trying to manage chronic depression or anxiety without drugs or are recovering from a disorder or a survivor of abuse. Frequency of appointments can vary, from several times a week to once a month just to check in. And once you find a good therapist that you get a comfortable vibe from -- which is NOT easy, especially if you're queer or trans* -- you want to hold on to them.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    your therapist said that??? I find that disturbing, to say the least.

She didn't say it TO me, like telling me I was getting fat (or talking about MY undies per se)...we were talking about weight gain, it was more a general statement. And when you're comfortable with someone and you've been seeing the same one for years, you'd be surprised what comes up in conversation.

Only you can be the judge of whether the comment was appropriate or not. Clearly you feel it was appropriate and said in a light-hearted manner not in specific regard to any one individual, just sort of as a mantra or joke. Don't allow anyone to shape your perception of your therapist. (Although I'm pretty sure you already do this and don't need this advice lol.)
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    your therapist said that??? I find that disturbing, to say the least.

Why does it matter to you? The thread is about bra hooks...
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal to have the same therapist for years, especially if you're trying to manage chronic depression or anxiety without drugs or are recovering from a disorder or a survivor of abuse. Frequency of appointments can vary, from several times a week to once a month just to check in. And once you find a good therapist that you get a comfortable vibe from -- which is NOT easy, especially if you're queer or trans* -- you want to hold on to them.

This! I suppose some people benefit from the initial "7 free sessions" that an insurance company might typically offer, but I don't understand the original comment that seemed judgmental about seeing a therapist for years. Sometimes one might need to go once a month (or more frequent) if dealing with something, but then you might not feel the need to go but twice a year....hence a several year relationship with a therapist. And once you find a therapist you like and click with it would make absolutely no sense to switch to a different one later.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

This! I suppose some people benefit from the initial "7 free sessions" that an insurance company might typically offer, but I don't understand the original comment that seemed judgmental about seeing a therapist for years. Sometimes one might need to go once a month (or more frequent) if dealing with something, but then you might not feel the need to go but twice a year....hence a several year relationship with a therapist. And once you find a therapist you like and click with it would make absolutely no sense to switch to a different one later.

I did not intended to judge, although I see now how it might seem that way. I once saw a counselor for a couple years. At that time, I started to feel like I was paying her bo be my friend. I think it's fair to hold a therapist to a professional standard. When talking to a client who wants to lose 60 pounds, a professional therapist shouldn't make comments like - you know you're fat when you need a three hook bra. Friends, however, do make exactly that kind of faux pas, and later need to return and apologize. Like I am about to do.

I do sincerely apologize if I have hurt your feelings and/or increased your woes.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    My therapist would totally say something like that. I really appreciate that my therapist is like a real person.

I've despised all the therapists in the past who have every hair in place, sit up straight and tall as a pin, would never say anything even remotely offensive ever...
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    She said you know you're getting too fat you your underwear no longer fits. I had to buy a new bra today, my bra now has three hooks instead of two :(

This will be my new motivation when I wake up in the morning for the gym...".your bra has three hooks, get out of bed and go to the gym"!

Hahaa too funny!:laugh:
  • sparkle126
    sparkle126 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    omg this post as got stupied... well done lass for having motivation to go to the gym. every1 as something to get there *kitten* in to gear even if it is bra hooks :tongue:
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i suppose to be a 36dd but i still feel comfortable n my 38dd and it is a double hook
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I did not intended to judge, although I see now how it might seem that way. I once saw a counselor for a couple years. At that time, I started to feel like I was paying her bo be my friend. I think it's fair to hold a therapist to a professional standard. When talking to a client who wants to lose 60 pounds, a professional therapist shouldn't make comments like - you know you're fat when you need a three hook bra. Friends, however, do make exactly that kind of faux pas, and later need to return and apologize. Like I am about to do.

I do sincerely apologize if I have hurt your feelings and/or increased your woes.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Not a problem, sometimes things just come out wrong. I really don't even remember how the "you know you've gained weight" comment even came up at all. But it was not directed at me at all and I took no offense to it whatsoever. I think actually think she was talking about herself.

It's funny because after so long she did begin to feel more like a friend than a therapist. But I was happy with it because it was her job to listen to me complain and she could offer me advice that a friend might be hesitant too. She also had training to help people with grieving which is why I was going at the time, whereas my friends were kind of powerless to help me as they didn't know what I was going through. You can only whine to your friends so many times before you know it's getting to be too much. So I actually prefer that she was starting to feel like a friend, I don't think I could have opened up as much with someone that remained too professional.

Also, I wasn't aware that some smaller bras had several hooks. Mine have always had only two, and I thought even smaller ones sometimes had one. So to ME, more hooks means I've gotten too fat for my bras....also since this bra I just bought is indeed a size bigger than my old one.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My bras typically have 2 hooks, rarely 1 (36C), but I have some with 5-10 and that's absolutely fine with me :tongue:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever owned a bra with less then 3 hooks... even at my smallest (160). Then again, even when wearing a size 6 jeans I was wearing a 34/36 D so that might have something to do with it. Some days I curse my hourglass shape and other days I want to flaunt it. *sigh* A mixed blessing and curse.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Mine has 3 or 4 hooks and I am 38 C.