Is one cheat meal going to mess up your diet?

Options
Tomorrow is my husband's birthday and we are taking him to Melting Pot which is a fondue restaurant. It is a 4 course meal that includes a cheese fondue, a chocolate fondue, a salad, and chicken,shrimp, and sirloin. We haven't been there in a long time so we are surprising him. The thing is, the place prices by couples so for my husband and I it is $100. Therefore, I feel like it would be a waste of money if I just had a salad. If I have a little bit of everything, will it completely ruin my diet? I mean, it is only one day. Not sure what to do....

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to go there lol big piping pots of melted cheese yummay!

It won't ruin your diet. I would expect to see the scale go up for a few days (if you're a daily weigher) due to the sodium. I would just eat very light all day leading up to the meal out and take it easy there.

Have fun :)
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Chelsea_Marinos Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As long as its just for the day I don't think it will ruin you diet.. I have the issue where if I do a full on meal like that I just go on an all out food binge for a few days after so it's not good for me but if you can do it for just the day and thats it I think you will be fine :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    One day wont ruin anything. Go, enjoy a wonderful dinner, and just get back on track in the morning. Have fun!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    One meal isnt going to hurt anything. Just eat well the rest of the day. DH's 30th birthday is a week from today and we are going out to dinner, having cake and going out for drinks. I'm a bit nervous about it but i know one day isnt going to ruin everything. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Nope.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Yes, like Jumanji, you'll need to start everything, like not any of your efforts existed
    enjoy ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you think if a fat person had one healthy meal it would mess up their fatness?
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes enjoy your lovely dinner and get your money's worth for sure. For myself if I'm going out - that is my day to have and enjoy. Then after that I have 6 days to pay for my enjoyment lol that is with extra exercise. I don't like food or money going to waste.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat really light earlier in the day, that's what I do if I know I'm going out big in the evening.
  • Ittybitty22
    Ittybitty22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    have fun workout the nxt day or workout before u go
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Leave your diet and any guilt at the restaurant door before you go in and enjoy your meal! Once in a while definitely wont hurt and I would bet that after that meal you wont feel like going off your program for a long time.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Having one cheat meal a week is great for your diet. It helps you stick to the rest of the week knowing that you will have freedom once a week. It takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound and that much to lose one. If you enjoy one meal a week, you can still hit a 3500 deficit. We need to enjoy life. Good food is part of that.
  • nikki_marie05
    nikki_marie05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No, once it actually helped me by resetting my metabolism. I was only losing about 1 - 1.5 #s a week when I usually lose 2-3 and for a couple of days my boyfriend and I didn't diet and the next week I lost 3.5 #s. If it doesn't happen all the time, it won't affect all the progress you've made. I say go for it! It's his big day, just get back on track the next day :)
  • nikki_marie05
    nikki_marie05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you think if a fat person had one healthy meal it would mess up their fatness?

Lol. Good point.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't worry that much. It is just one day, and you can make up for it later. Just don't go on the scale for a couple of days, and you will be just fine
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, for me, it almost did. But here's why, when I started this journey it was hard to learn how to say no to bigger portions or even cravings. So I finally got on the wagon, ate within my calorie goal, still had what I liked as long as I could, and learned how to eat healthier, and portion control. But then one day, I felt man I worked so hard let me just go all out and eat my fav, annd since then I have to learn everything I learned all over again!! I'm not saying eat a salad, do portion control at the least, so you don't have to do it all over again. Now I do agree that it doesn't really ruin anything, you might weigh a little more than what you expect. But you can fix that. Just the next day, go back to this. Have fun, and be wise!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I allow myself special occasions. If you did this every week then I'd say yes. Just expect the scale to show the indulgence you had. And don't beat yourself up over it to much the next couple days. Drink lots of water before and after if you can. Remember they salt things like mad when you eat out so a lot maybe water gain as well.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find having 1 cheat day every week or two actually helps me stay on track. I had a seven mile hilly run this morning and I've had a blast eating whatever the heck I want today!
    special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries) shouldn't be worried about. Planned, yes, but don't stress it. They come up infrequently.
    Just make sure you are dedicated and have the discipline to get right back on the horse immediately.

P.S. my cheat foot today really isn't that awful, lol. I'm not inhaling candy bars or anything. Cheats for me today include ice cream, and rice pudding. My diary is public if you want to check it out.
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I won't ruin anything :). I just celebrated my 4 year anniversary with my boyfriend a few days ago and I pretty much went red on everything. I've been doing just fine since then. Out of curiosity I weighed myself yesterday and today. The scale didn't move yesterday but I went back to losing today.
  • Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No. Life is to be lived and enjoyed. If you can't have a "cheat meal" every now and then, then shame on you.

Get back on your plan the next day.