I HATE DRINKING WATER. Help!

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just drink coffee, tea, diet coke and beer to stay hydrated.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Keep a bottle at your desk, I didn't used to drink water a lot until I did that. I suddenly started to just take sips and not realize that I'd finish a bottle (591 mL) within 1-3 hours. Then working out I drink nearly 6 cups of water if I am at it for more than an hour, so maybe try that and see if it works for you. Otherwise it really is about making it a habit or a ritual and not having to set an alarm. GL!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary to force ourselves to drink water? I just drink it when my body indicates I need it and that seems to work for me. I think I get a lot of water from the foods I eat as well.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use a water bottle with rubber bands on it. As I drink one the rubber band moves to the bottom. I add MIO in my water. It is calorie free and comes in several flavors. You can also use just a little or a lot.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a bottle that holds 33 oz. It has to have a straw, or I do not drink enough water during the day. I can sit at my desk and sip while working, and before I know it, its time to fill up the bottle, thats just about 4 cups down. You just have to find what works. I used to be an avid diet coke drinker....i could drink 4-5 a day.....but knowing what they do to you, i opted for a better choice. I occasionally add crytsal light to the water, but sometimes, the trick is to make sure its cold. Add ice if the temperature has warmed up. :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Here's what I found to be the most interesting paragraph in this article -

"In fact, Valtin found that the 8 x 8 guideline may have originated from a misunderstanding. In 1945 the Food and Nutrition Board, now part of the National Academy of Sciences's Institute of Medicine, suggested that a person consume one milliliter of water (about one fifth of a teaspoon) for each calorie of food. The math is pretty simple: A daily diet of around 1,900 calories would dictate the consumption of 1,900 milliliters of water, an amount remarkably close to 64 ounces. But many dieticians and other people failed to notice a critical point: namely, that much of the daily need for water could be met by the water content found in food."

And this from the Food and Nutrition Board in 2004 - "the vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide."
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was that way too but I purchased a pink water bottle that holds 32 ozs. I drink at least two if not three bottles from it a day. Why? It is prominent and well it is my favorite color. Heck my kids are into drinking from it now too. They take it all over the house and I have to CHASE my water bottle down from them. LMAO!!! But it has ALL of us drinking water. Now if only I could get my hubby into drinking water regularly.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Required ounces or cups of water mean nothing and are arbitrary. It is all about your hydration level, which will differ by person, by activity and by day. Go by pee color and stop the "X cups a day" myth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857659-the-definitive-how-much-water-do-i-really-need-thread?hl=definitive+water#posts-12889951
  • mndtowka
    Options
    If I have to drink out a a bottle or a cup, I don't drink 8 cups. BUT if I add a straw, I mindlessly sip all day long. Today I had 9 cups of water before lunch!

I do this too. I have to drink water with a straw that way it can pass by with out tasting it.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I dont' have a 33.8 oz bottle handy........I'm cheap and keep refilling the same one for a while... oh and yes, I wash it~~~:tongue:
    then I have a 16 oz plastic cup with a straw....just keep filling it.
    straws are the quickest way to get me to drink.... especially alcohol!! LOL :laugh: Thankfully, thats one of the things I have cut out for a while. :bigsmile:
  • jenno3869
    Options
    Question......Iwas alwys told that I have to drink plain water. Does other liquids like coffee anddiet soda count towards my 8 glasses?
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I almost NEVER drink plain water. I usually drink 1/2 strength Crystal Light or store brand "lite" drink mixes, so it adds 20 or so calories to my day, but I enjoy it more.
  • Ginger1436
    Options
    I hate drinking water as well. I do find drinking fresh water out of a glass glass helps me.
  • newmeme2013
    Options
    the flavored water is really good a lil more expensive but the lemon is great tasting
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I know you said you dont really drink juice or much of anything else besides coffee, but you might want to give Lipton iced green tea to go sticks a try. The Mandarin and Mango flavor is really nice and there are no calories!

There are several varieties you could try, and they may make it easier to take the water?

You might also want to try icing your water, I know a woman I work with finds it much easier to drink water (she hates water too) if it is super cold, and through a straw?

Good luck!

18895238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Required ounces or cups of water mean nothing and are arbitrary. It is all about your hydration level, which will differ by person, by activity and by day. Go by pee color and stop the "X cups a day" myth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857659-the-definitive-how-much-water-do-i-really-need-thread?hl=definitive+water#posts-12889951

Thanks for this! My personal test is whether I'm headache-free. As soon as I feel a headache coming on I know I need water! Interestingly, my pee is always the "optimal" color on that chart, even on days where I don't drink any water at all. I think I consume enough coffee, tea, fruits, and vegetables that I'm hydrated enough without deliberate water drinking.
  • JayHult
    Options
    I know that feeling. Often times I don't drink anything throughout the whole day. I know that's bad for me but I just can't get myself to drink water. I dislike the "taste" or non taste and it actually makes me sick, in addition to that I never ever feel thirsty. Without ever being thirsty I don't have anything to remind me that I have to drink something so often times i just forget. I've started setting alarms a couple of times a day and then I try to force down half a glass of water, it's so hard and nasty and makes me feel really full. I hate drinking water so incredibly much. I don't find drinking gatorade so hard and it does hydrate me quite well, usually when I get banging headaches I down a bottle of gatorade and feel better almost right away, but still, gatorade has way too many calories to drink alot of it every day. I think I'm gonna invent a device that u can carry around and that hydrates you intravenously :P a bit like those u get in a hospital just much smaller ^^
  • rizzod206
    rizzod206 Posts: 18
    Options
    As an atheist I can tell you drinking water works without the god part too. Good thing we have science to help us out with medical issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I keep a 24 oz water bottle on me pretty much at all times...