What to eat when I'm forced to have a late dinner??

Options
13»

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Since after work I go straight to the gym, by the time I get back home It's around 9pm at night and I haven't eaten dinner yet! Usually I just eat yogurt and call it a night but my stomach usually hurts while I fall asleep because of this. Any suggestions on what I should eat??

Some of these answers are silly-The Carb thing is not a myth and it does matter what you eat, here's why :)

Serotonin and GABA are two of your primary neuroreceptors in your brain that affect mood, sleepiness, awake-ness, etc. Serotonin can be elevated by eating carbohydrate (i.e. late at night). When you eat the carb, insulin pops out of your pancreas and cleans your blood of a bunch of amino acids except for the TURKEY amino! (j/k, I mean tryptophan). Tryptophan hits the brain, turns in to serotonin and you get calm, satisfied, etc. it's part of the reason some people drink milk pre-bed (tryptophan).

NOW. between 11 pm and 1 am, your body clicks in to (CAUTION, CLICHE TERM AHEAD!!) "detoxify" your body. Your parasympathetic nervous system (the one that controls your organs, heart, digestion, etc) kicks in to high gear and nutrients start moving where they should.

If you go home and eat cake, you will gain fat...the carb thing is not a myth :)

some protein and carb will refuel you and put you to sleep.

WHAT SHOULD YOU EAT

Eat some protein for aminos for your muscles and some carb within 1/2 hourish of being done with your workout. make your meal relatively small and have COMPLEX CARBS like long-grain brown rice or some veggies. Sip down some lemon or lime juice in water to slow the glycemic index and you'll be all set and even add a little growth-hormone boost :)

check this out if you need more!

wellfitlife.me
    The 11pm-1am thing happens even when I work overnights? Somehow I doubt that. It doesn't matter what you eat or what time you eat. Just make sure it fits into your calories and you're fine.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Since after work I go straight to the gym, by the time I get back home It's around 9pm at night and I haven't eaten dinner yet! Usually I just eat yogurt and call it a night but my stomach usually hurts while I fall asleep because of this. Any suggestions on what I should eat??

I am making dinner after 8pm and eating near 9pm on a regular basis, but I also don't normally go to bed until near midnight. A normal, balanced dinner that fits in my calorie plan is all I do, and it's working. I would guess your body is craving a bit more than some yogurt. Have a small dinner and see how you feel. No matter what anyone else says here, only you know your body. Keep listening to it and try different healthy options until your body is happy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You sure are stuck on that cake thing, huh? Maybe you better hop off the computer for a bit and make a quick trip to a grocery store ;-)

Went for a banana muffin. The neighbor made them. It would be rude not to eat them :)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Turducken. :tongue:

How about a loaded sandwich and raw fruit and veg sticks? Or do a crock pot stew or meatballs, and make a quick pot of rice to go with it when you get back. Or prep everything you need for chili, spaghetti and meat sauce, corn chowder, and just cook it through when you need it. Or make giant batches of three different meals, portion them out into individual glass storage containers, freeze them, and you can cycle through them so you're not eating the same dish five meals in a row.