running shoe advice?

Options
13»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    lol. I reckon the key message from all these conflicting opinions is ... go get fitted.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was given and did was go to a running store to get fitted.

THIS
    THIS +1 If you can, find one where they make you run and either watch you or film you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    if going to a store is out of the question--i recommend Asics but if you can get fitted then do that :)

Unless you have a wide foot or a high arch - asics run narrow.

I prefer Brooks.
    I prefer Brooks too. I have a narrow foot and a high arch. Assics are where my knee problems began. Because I DIDNT get fitted.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree on going to a running store. If you are running a lot, its worth the investment. I had shin splints a few years ago- the first day I wore my new shoes from a running store, my shin splints went away. Same thing for my husband. We were not wearing the right shoes.

Don't be scared of the price, either, because a good running store will only sell what is best for you. My husband tried on 5 pairs of shoes and the best pair was the $75 on sale pair. They didn't try to push the newer, more expensive shoes.
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    Brooks - their new lightweight tennis shoes are amazing. It is a minimalist racing shoe - i wear them for bootcamp too!
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    running store. Get evaluated. Get a recommendation and if you want to save a few $, make a note of their recommendations/what you like then go find it online. I did that with my first pair, then my 2nd pair I paid for my excellent service at the store. ;-)

btw I love my Brooks Adrenaline.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Check out Mizuno's running website. They have the most extensive self-diagnosing shoe setup I have found. I have been fitted by several running shoe stores -- and the website gave me the same results. Also, once you know your shoes type you can be a little more knowledgeable when shopping. also, I would go to a store like D!ick's where you can return them if they don't work. I used a pair of Asics for several runs and was still able to return them. As someone with 30 or so running shoes in my closet:blushing: that's what I have learned. Just my 2 cents:bigsmile:
  • Diesmia
    Diesmia Posts: 1
    Options
    Have to agree with a few posters: been a barefoot style runner for years and I can't say enough how much it has removed all of my leg pain.

if you've never tried it, do some research into it. It really does work and it really does save a lot of joint pain. In addition to the Virbram, Merill makes some great running shoes for this style (have worn out a couple of Vibrams and am now in Merrill). I trail run (USMC Mud Run, Warrior Dash, etc) and these shoes rock, if you're into that running style.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was given and did was go to a running store to get fitted.

^^ This, best thing I ever did, helped clear up many foot issues I was having. If you go to a good store, they will even put you on the treadmill and analyze your running to help fit you better.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Interesting Read: I just started running and I have flat feet; I'm looking for the best running shoe...

9821387.png
  • greytblackdog
    greytblackdog Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I 100th getting fitted. I cannot even stand to wear my Nikes to the mall that I ran in for four months before getting properly fitted. I'm a Brooks girl all the way. Getting the right shoes has reduced my knee issues and have made my long runs way more comfortable. It was a shock to my system to pay $100 for running shoes, but I realize I spend a lot of very important time in them weekly so they are well worth the expense.

Also, after you get fitted and you know what you like, check out e-bay. Last year's models can be found there for a lot less!
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I under pronate and have low arches which is very unusual anyone have any ideas about what shoes to get. I have problems with shin splints also.
  • hyerlevo
    hyerlevo Posts: 16
    Options
    My running shoes are done, and I am in desperate need of a new pair. I need something with good arch support, the arches of my feet have recently started hurting me, but this might be due to the fact that I have broken down my old pair of shoes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Also, feel free to add me, I need some supportive friends! Thanks :)

You sound j like me lol! My tennis have had it,, my arches are hurting and I keep procrastinating. I put some arch supports in them and it help for a while but it's time lol!

Good luck!
  • PickTara
    PickTara Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks everyone, You all will be happy to know I am going to go get fitted for running shoes at my local running store tomorrow, wish me luck :). Thanks for all the wonderful advice :)