TODAY I HIT GOAL doing this... (5'7 sedentary female)

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
I haven't had a single one of these since I started losing weight. I told myself and others that once I reached goal, I'd eat a pack of them lol:

13599033_8358.jpg

In anticipation for sunday (weigh in) I picked up a pack. Today, I woke up to this:
13599033_4342.jpg

GW: 120! I skipped it :D The rest of my stats are in my profile. There are photos below. I included some oreo pictures for luls. Some of the success stories have awesome shots, but sorry, these are no model shots, just poorly lit Galaxy Nexus phone pics lol.

Before the oreos were opened lol
qozodi.jpg

Nerdy @ symbol belly button ring ftw. I plan to use the Iron Gym more (the thing behind me) from now on.
2afx0ud.jpg

Front
23tfp86.jpg

Side me, emerging from Oreos lol.
2ch1edf.jpg

If you start getting lost anywhere, there's links provided in the next few posts for information.

When we come here many seem to suddenly think 2000 is a gargantuan amount of food, when most nutritional values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. I eventually decided I didn't want to be that person, as I never was before. So, I ignored MFP calculations as I felt I could speed things up if I did some research/math on my own. I reached goal eating above/below the NET of my estimated TDEE. I trying to always NET above BMR. The calculations were underestimated for me, so eating at this so far has enabled me to lose a pound a week for months. This essentially worked out to be "maintenance" with no expected weekly exercise according to the MFP calculations.

Food

Well, I was never afraid to go over my calories as long as I was under for the week (sometimes I wasn't). I got a digital food scale and measuring cup to try and weigh food accurately. Make sure the values you use for your food is actually the real nutritional value. Many of the values can be off. Especially if you don't realize there's say, Canadian and US products with the same name but different ingredients.

Exercise

HRM: good for cardio things like running and cycling. When you get into weight training and other things this tends to be less accurate.

Sparks People talk about HRM: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

MFP: I have a HRM but since it's not continuous, this is what I use. Those I've asked say the MFP values can be nearly double the amount on their HRM. I'm guessing it'll depend on your size. I usually ate at least half of my exercise calories anyway.

Steppers: If you wave or it's windy or if you get in a car these things will increment. They have no way to determine if you're exerting yourself, if you're moving your limbs with all your might, if you're walking quickly or jogging slowly. Keep that in mind when using these values.

Activity Level

I was in a motorcycle accident, left dance, was in school, worked, and did open source projects on the side. For most of my journey walking from my car to class to my car when I bothered to go to class was my exercise. I ate at my sedentary TDEE at first, so I made sure I logged all/every activity I did and ate my exercise calories back. Remember, if you're on your feet all day, you're not sedentary. Starting the end of April I'm eating at a higher activity TDEE now, but I still have things set up the same, I just have more exercise calories to eat now. I could just as easily set it up to my new activity level and not log exercise and it works out to be about the same.

Weighing, %BF, measuring tapes

Stats on my profile.

Weight, body fat, and measuring tapes can be misleading sometimes. I realize that I'm a female, and with that, comes trouble with this topic. Females weight fluctuate a lot, and peoples weight fluctuate for a lot of different reasons not necessarily related to consistently gaining weight. All the calibers and bio-electrical impedance machines and weight scales in the world are going to give me a realistic value unless I look over all the values over an extended period of time and notice all the different variables at play (which is almost impossible). Especially if I want to compare myself to someone else. I can bring my weight scale to a different part of the world, and depending on the latitude, longitude, and height, it will tell me I'm a different weight. If I eat different things, different amounts, move different amounts, get my body fat taken different ways or at different times between food, activity, and cycle, the numbers will be different if I compare myself to last week. For those reasons, I didn't mind weighing myself several times a day. I did several experiments with it. Just because weight goes up, it doesn't necessarily mean evil is happening.

With that being said, I'm going to start exercising and lifting weights (at least my own weight) and I expect the scale to go up, and I expect to look better. Hopefully both of us will stick around long enough to see the differences I'll hopefully post later :flowerforyou:

Thank you everyone, especially all the MFP friends I've made along the way :smile:

Replies

• CoderGal
    Options
    TDEE

Figure out your total daily energy expenditure by applying the Harris Benedict Principle. This is the number you should be able to eat without gaining or losing a pound. Remember these are estimates (I find that they're under estimated). To calculate, read the links below.

TDEE Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation
    Calc: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

BMR

BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. It estimates what your vital organs (heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, etc) would use if you were unconscious and not moving a limb or eyeball. Figure out your BMR by using the BMR estimation formulas. The Harris Benedict equation and Katch-McArdle Formula are available. Personally, I use the Harris Benedict equation. Be careful with the others, there are many different ways to calculate your body fat and it tends to give a large range of values. However, this can be a good thing if you expect you have either a very low or higher then average amount of fat. To calculate both equations, read the links below.

BMR/Equation Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    Harris Benedict Equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation
    Calc (both equations): http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

RMR

I haven't been able to get a clear cut for sure definition on the differences between RMR and BMR. But there's another formula used for your resting metabolic rate called the Cunningham formula. To find out about this formula see the BMR link above. for the sake of MFP, when someone says always net above your BMR, they also usually mean always net above your RMR.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Yeay, well done - enjoy your Oreos. :drinker:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Very well done. I, for one, can certainly appreciate a nerd's few of fitness, haha.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    <double>
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Great post. Great success! Congratulations! Now give me one of those oreos!
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I can't wait for my belly to get that flat!
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I can't wait for my belly to get that flat!

^^ me too.

Congrats CG.. you're an inspiration to us all :happy:
    Now go finish those remaining oreos lol
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Great post. Great success! Congratulations! Now give me one of those oreos!

Sorry, I just ate all 30 lol (seriously) :noway:
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    well done!
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo!!! Go you! So glad you got your oreos!
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is so awesome!
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Good job and enjoy those glorious Oreos. You deserved them! :drinker:
  • Miss_E_
    Miss_E_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Well done, that's great :)
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS GIRL!!! You look great :) Lifting will def show well on you since you have so little fat!
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You rock!! Way to go! I hope the Oreo's were delicious :smile:
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! I love what you've written, and hope others can look at it and find encouragement from it.

It looks like we both have the same goal in mind: weight training with the expectation of added weight and better looks! :)

I'm realizing that I never did to my celebratory eating that I had planned when I reached my goal: A Carl's Jr. Double Western Beacon Cheese Burger.
  • court617
    court617 Posts: 65
    Options
    What an inspiration! Congratulations on an amazing job!!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Forgot one, Quidi Vidi's "Gut", Newfoundland, Canada.
    j0y1dz.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - good luck on the next part of the journey
    :drinker:

Do you think a 1lb box of chocolates is a bit much for for my goal weight celebration? :bigsmile:
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    nice job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!