What is the best tasting apple?

Options

Replies

• amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Definitely HoneyCrisp... but sadly the store I shop at does not sell them, so I dont get to eat them very often : (
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    granny smith, pink lady or apples that i grow in my garden, they are like a cross between the two, but not entirely sure what they are called, might be diva
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood. Today it's a Gala. Tomorrow it may be a nice, sharp Granny Smith.
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    Pink Lady or Fuji usually! They stay crunchy for longer! :happy:
    I really can't stand soft apples! :sick:
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love Gala apples and second would be a Pink Lady - My hubby loves Pink Ladies!!
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pink Lady or Red Delicious.
  • lizj1
    lizj1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh, there's nothing to touch a Macintosh red.... but I can hardly ever find them in the UK anymore - we used to get them every Autumn when I was a child. I try and try, but I just don't really like any other apples.

So, Macintosh lovers - what's the closest substitute you've ever tasted? I tried some Honeycrunch, and they were almost acceptable - any others I could try?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    LOVE Pink Ladies
  • sydney1984
    sydney1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Jazz or Honeycrisp!

EXACTLY what I was going to say!!!! Honeycrisp are BY FAR the best, but since we moved from WA state to VA state they arent as easy to find :( But I did find another one I love ALMOST as much which is the Jazz :) Both are always crisp and have a perfect balance of sweet and tart!!!!
  • sbarnes1963
    Options
    #1 - Honeycrisp
    #2 - Gala (when I can't get Honeycrisp or the price is too high)
  • mandmsavage
    Options
    The one I like is the Apple/Pear =)
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Jazz or Fuji :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith FTW!
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a honeycrisp before. My favourite has to be a nice crispy braeburn. Can't beat it!

Does anyone else like to keep their apples in the fridge to keep them cool and crisp (and refreshing!)? Everyone else I know likes to keep them at room temperature but I'm not keen on warm apples.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp, hands down. Just wish they weren't so expensive. :grumble:
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My favorite is an Empire apple. Sadly, I can't get them out here in Western Washington, but when I lived in NJ I had them all the time. My hands-down favorite.
  • ozwario
    Options
    HI EVERYONE! All of you that said HONEY CRISP are CORRECT! They are BY FAR the BEST apple ever. They are sweet, juisy and super CRISPY, expecally when you get them in their prime picking season. They are good for everything from eating right from the tree to baking pies, putting in salads and whatever else you would like to do with an apple. They are SUPURB
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp :)

QFT...AMG so QFT
  • ozwario
    Options
    I have to beleive that anyone on here that has tried a HONEYCRISP would say it is the best. If you havent tried one FIND ONE! They are not the easiest apples to get your hands on or the cheapest but if you find one that is fresh you would not disagree that they are fabulous. So if you are an apple lover and havent had a HONEYCRISP find one and eat it. But remember they are not the same if you dont get them in prime season. They are still very, very good but there are no words to discribe on that is fresh and prime for picking. I think in New York the prime HoneyCrisp season is Mid Sept. through October but dont quote me on that. They usually run about $4 a pound but last year I couldnt believe that I found them in Price Chopper first of all, as you usually can only find them in specialty stores or at a farmstand, but they were on sale for .99 cents a pound which is unheard of. Because of that I ate A LOT of HONEYCRISP apples last year. I hope you find one and love it as i do.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the dissenting voice. I do not like Honey Crisp apples. I don't typically care for sweet apples though. Give me something a bit more tart and crunchy any day. As someone who lives in NY's apple country, I'll take a McIntosh or a Jona-Mac. Jona-Macs are the BEST, but not always easy to find at grocery stores. Pays to get them fresh at the orchard. YUM.