Refrigerator Oatmeal/Overnight Oatmeal. I finally tried it.

Options

Replies

• pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Found this website with 6 recipes. I have tried the Banana-Cocoa and the Mango-Almond, both were great.

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!
  • farrahvasquez
    Options
    Did you add the chia seeds? is so where did you get them? BTW it looks dreamy!! :wink:
  • brogers916
    brogers916 Posts: 58
    Options
    bump
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Did you add the chia seeds? is so where did you get them? BTW it looks dreamy!! :wink:

Yes, added the chia seeds. I have a Sprout's Market nearby and can buy them bulk.
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OK....I have found one thing I will never add again. I use Bee Pollen in the morning. Normally I don't taste it in smoothies and protein shakes. It has a funky aftertaste in the refrigerator oatmeal. Just a warning to Bee Pollen users. :)
  • poppinjaye
    poppinjaye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For quite some time now, I've been making oatmeal in my crockpot overnight. I have one of the Hamilton Beach ones that came with 3 different size crocks, 2-4-6. I use the 2 quart to make my recipe, sometimes I double it with the 4 quart.

1 cup steel cut oats - available at an grocery store, but if you can find them bulk in a health food store like I did, soooo much cheaper
    4 cups of water
    1/2 t salt

I guess this saves the calories from the yogurt and almond milk (but doesn't get the nutrients); I have been eating the refrigerated stuff all week and enjoying it very much. It reminds me of muesli.

How long does cooked oatmeal stay good? It's just me, but I do have a crockpot.

-h
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OP, thank you so much for this post. I just finished eating my breakfast of fridge-oatmeal; I made it last night with milk, oats, chia seeds, greek yogurt, 1 tsp honey, 1 tb unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/2 fresh banana. Super super tasty! And I'm not a big hot oatmeal fan, but I loved this. I especially love that it took virtually no time to prepare and there was no "thinking" involved this morning (I am not a morning person, ugh). So thanks! This is about to become a household staple, I'm sure!
  • jamkat
    jamkat Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Just made mine for the first time with 1/2 tsp almond extract and 1/2 mango........can't wait to try it tomorrow!:happy:
  • DianeInWA
    DianeInWA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jewelsc1
    jewelsc1 Posts: 26
    Options
    bump
  • piper4596
    piper4596 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HGChao
    HGChao Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • amZhn
    amZhn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump. can you make the oatmeal with water? and what would be the ratio of oats:water? also: instead of using powdered pb, can you use regular and do you mix it in before you refridgerate it or after?
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I made my first one last night.........wish I could say I loved it..........in truth I much prefer my smoothies:ohwell: