One week on this site and I think MFP is so....

Options
....addictive.

Hey, what’s good FitnessPals…..

This is officially my 7th day on MFP, and I have to say it is the best thing since Arnold’s Double Protein Slice Bread! My best friend texted me last Monday while I was at work and told me to check it out. I created an account and begin moving around within the diary/tools/blogs the best I could.

So let me introduce myself. I grew up a skinny kid, and was never really an athlete by any means…In fact I played percussion in marching band in High school. I always wore bagging clothes. I would say I was trying to embrace the hip-hop dress code, but I was really hiding my body. I didn’t like the way I looked. I didn’t really love myself. After college I realized I was gaining weight, but I still looked skinny…I was about 40 lbs overweight…....I called my self skinnyfat….it’s where I had noodle arms, bird chest, and a beer gut….So at age 29…I set out to change the way I look and the way I felt about myself. I started to first accept who I was and love who I was, but improve myself in all aspects. I read every men’s fitness/health fitness magazine available, asked questions to whoever I saw going hard in the gym. I was/am a sponge to learn and do what I could to improve who I am/was. I hit a lot of walls, and had MANY setbacks, even injuries…I still have a ways to go. In my change/transition, people started to challenge me and ask questions like “why you are not eating cake at the office party, why won’t you come with us to McDonald’s, why are you always dissing us for happy hour and going to the gym”. I told them to leave me alone, I wanted to have Usher abs, They would laugh or say IMPOSSIBLE.. Never let anyone put you down or tell you that you can’t do something. I bought a shmedium shirt and said “No more bagging Clothes, I will work out and change myself to fill out this shirt” I literally tried that shirt on every Friday until my arms could fit in there snugged…so yea…a freaking red shmedium shirt was part my motivation… lol

A quick overview of my nutrition and workouts. Mid Oct through Mid April I average roughly 2400 Calories per day, and Mid April to Mid Oct I average about 3000 cals per day. This is because I do more two a days during the Apr-Oct time frame than I do during the Oct – Apr timeframe. I am not a professional fitness person AT ALL…but I do call my 2400 cal my offseason(maintaining). I do not bulk during winter like a lot of lifters do. I have three workouts I like to do(which I rotate either weekly or every 3 months)….I basically do Heavy Cardio in the Mornings, and Heavy Lift with a light cardio in the evenings. I work abs 4 days a week.

So that pretty much sums me up….Feel free to add me to your list or send me message to give me advice or ask questions. I learn from everyone (no matter what level you are at, if you are a man or woman, old or young.) Just in these 7 days I have been on here I have learned a lot of new things to eat, workouts to do, and great people who are so compassionate and commited. Keep em coming …and keep me motivated I will do the same.

Mercenary

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It is great! x
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    really only 2400 for maintenance? what's your training like with that regimen?
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    3 - 5 days of 20 min lifting. I do not really break a sweat... I would do some light cardio. Nothing real hard. Which is why I like this site, because I finally can pay attention to my calories. I do admit I feel tired sometimes during the winter because of that...I will work up the calories next winter to see how it goes.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you and welcome!

As for me, I've always considered myself as the ugly duckling in the family. I'm the oldest and the shortest LOL. I have a sister who is dead georgeous and a model. My other sister is beautiful and tall. Me i'm 5'2". My profile says it all. After having surgery on my ankle and fighting breast cancer I decided that it was time for me to get my *kitten* going and so I started to lose all the weight I had gain from being out for so long after surgery. Just like you I had ppl say...eh you look fine, but I was 160 lbs and was miserable. I hated having my pictures taken etc. I started to work out with a wonderful trainer who taught me how to use the kettlebells and was REALLY hard on me. We had a love hate relationship. I always gave him a hard time during work outs (just to mess with him) and he in turn pushed me harder. I'm know 136 lbs and 1 lb away from my goal. I've also gone from 30% body fat to 25%. We have set a goal of 20% body fat by Labor day. Once I reach that 135lbs the scale will just be that...a scale. I will not weight myself every week, probably every 2 weeks, but focus on toning and eating my 1200 calories for the day. I've started to see some great definitions already and once I started to see that. I become an addict lol I want to see more!!!!!

Looking forward for us to motivate each other and best of luck in your journey!

Sheila
    :drinker:
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site .Glad you are enjoying it .I am sure you will get plenty help and support ,seems you are doing fab :)
  • kimmers1027
    kimmers1027 Posts: 122
    Options
    Welcome.. This side is very addictive. Im on here everyday, several times a day. Feel free to add me if you need some additional support !! :))
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I have been here for 15 days. Addicted also and love the community! I am on MFP more than facebook now. Talk about a healthier way to spend your time! LOL!
  • debra4647
    debra4647 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 2 months now and I have lost 27 lbs. I'm really a couch potato so I have been trying a little exercise here and there. I have been walking and I tried sit- ups but that didn't work. Can't even do it. So I found this piece of equipment my dad bought years ago, where you put your feet in the stirups and hold on to the spring thing. Ive been doing crunches that way. I don't know if its helping but I have aches were I didn't before lol. So maybe... Feel free to add me if you'd like Deb Am on everyday.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I have been here for 15 days. Addicted also and love the community! I am on MFP more than facebook now. Talk about a healthier way to spend your time! LOL!

Yea...I agree...I am only on FB during football season...lol..but yea...what's great about this website is that we all PRETTY MUCH have a common goal in improving our health.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 2 months now and I have lost 27 lbs. I'm really a couch potato so I have been trying a little exercise here and there. I have been walking and I tried sit- ups but that didn't work. Can't even do it. So I found this piece of equipment my dad bought years ago, where you put your feet in the stirups and hold on to the spring thing. Ive been doing crunches that way. I don't know if its helping but I have aches were I didn't before lol. So maybe... Feel free to add me if you'd like Deb Am on everyday.

I couldn't do a single sit up when I joined the Army at 18 years old. I wasn't in bad shape, just hadn't ever made a habit of doing them and didn't even know how to use my stomach muscles. I trained myself to do them by practicing sitting up in my bunk at night and doing crunches in bed. The soft surface made it easier. By the end of Basic Training, I was doing about 50 sit ups in 2 minutes. Crunches are a great way to start training those muscles, you'll get there...our bodies are amazing learners!

Mercenary1914: I'm so happy I bumped into you on here and sent you a friend request. You have a great sense of humor and are a great motivator.
  • UpdatedMike
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I started about 51 days ago :-) and use the app every day, too. It IS addicting but a good addiction. I love seeing my progress (about 35 pounds from my heaviest, less of that while here) but you can see from my recent and old pic yourself. I still want to lose 15 more pounds and then would like to add 10 back on in muscle, maybe more - we shall see. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to gaining weight (muscle!, not weight) so I may heed some of your advice when that time comes.
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    Welcome.. This site is very addictive. Im on here everyday, several times a day. Feel free to add me if you need some additional support !! :))

Ditto! :)
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Mercenary1914: I'm so happy I bumped into you on here and sent you a friend request. You have a great sense of humor and are a great motivator.

Awe..Thank you!
  • Twidget12
    Twidget12 Posts: 71
    Options

Ditto!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Great! introduction. Welcome. I find the site addicting too. And your story sorta sounds like mine (the part about hiding yourself in your clothing because you don't like what your body looks like. Since starting school I've gained a little over 30 lbs so since last december I've been working on exercising and getting healthier, not just for looks sake but for overall health sake...I got tired of taking the stairs and getting out of breath, or not being able to run around and feeling tired in a few seconds. I'd like add you as a friend as I see you as someone who can give a ton of inspiration.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been log in for 780 days now. so I say this site is addicting! Welcome aboard!
  • alaskagrly
    Options
    You are right! It is great to connect with other people who have similar interests and goals! I am learning so much reading threads and seeing what everyone has to say. Awesome!
  • smifford
    smifford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey mercenary,

Welcome! I have to admit, "I am an addict (but so proud of it!)" I started off at 176 lbs last year and currently weigh in at 138 lbs. I was a former calorie counter app member but quit it because MFP offers so much more. So feel free to add me as your friend!!
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Facebook lost the battle long time ago. I'm on here every day and usually several times a day. It is awesome! Good luck!