NSV: Free Tummy Tuck

Options

Replies

• Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Couple of notes for this as I have been practicing this.

1. Make sure you can breath comfortly via diaphram. Sometimes you suck in air which is not the goal.

Two good drills:

Lie on the floor on your back. Place something small and dense on your belly button and try to suck it into your spine - really get an idea of how it should feel. I use two hocky pucks taped together. Small paper weight should work too.

Stand straight up. Raise a medicine ball over your head - arms extended over your head like you are doing the wave at a football game. You cannot help but keep your stomach sucked in - again the purpose is to discover the feeling.

Very important to keep this form when working out..whether its running..squats. Best part about doing this is you will end up having good posture and will look slimmer by default.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I did this all thru high school and beyond, until I got preggos at 20 and didn't care anymore. And it does work and help. I need to start doing it again now that I am losing. I am so scared I may need a 'real' tuck when I get down to goal (205 highest weight and 2 kids).
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Growing up my mother said that a woman is supposed to always have her stomach sucked in no matter what! So I have done this my whole life. I feel very weird if I let it out.

I'm the same, and my stomach is one of my least problematic areas. Now if I could just do a thunder thigh tuck..
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was at a seminar once where the speaker challenged us to hold in our stomachs for a full two minutes. He talked about how difficult it is and that it requires strength and determination we don't usually think about in every day life. He gave us a "go" cue, then went on to talk about other things. At the end of two minutes, he asked who was still holding in their stomachs. A good 2/3 of the audience raised their hands--they'd started but then forgot as they listened to the speaker. He used this as an analogy for how we let our attention drift based on what's going on around us and how it's important to be mindful of what we're doing if we want to get the most out of our fitness efforts. This was back in 1985 and I've remembered it on and off over the years. Thank you for reminding me again. Now...to be mindful about sucking it in. :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Couple of notes for this as I have been practicing this.

1. Make sure you can breath comfortly via diaphram. Sometimes you suck in air which is not the goal.

Two good drills:

Lie on the floor on your back. Place something small and dense on your belly button and try to suck it into your spine - really get an idea of how it should feel. I use two hocky pucks taped together. Small paper weight should work too.

Stand straight up. Raise a medicine ball over your head - arms extended over your head like you are doing the wave at a football game. You cannot help but keep your stomach sucked in - again the purpose is to discover the feeling.

Very important to keep this form when working out..whether its running..squats. Best part about doing this is you will end up having good posture and will look slimmer by default.

Excellent post and thanks so much...I'll try this!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have done this every day of my life, ok well as long as I can remember. I feel so uncomfortable if I let it hang loose and I've never been overweight. I think this also helps to prevent a major stomach distortion after pregnancy as well. I tightened my stomach all through my pregnancy as well and never ended up with a "pouch" that a lot of ladies do. Of course it could all be coincidental, but just in case, it's worth thinking about at least!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me this, every. single. day. growing up. Did I listen, NO, I was a teen and I knew it all! Of course, I should have listened to her then, but I find myself saying that a lot. Anyway, to your answer your question, for the last couple of weeks I have been trying to do this as well. I haven't lost much weight, yet, but I'm working on that, and I've been trying to remind myself all the time about sucking it in. Head up, Stomach in, and Shoulders Back. :)
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me this, every. single. day. growing up. Did I listen, NO, I was a teen and I knew it all! Of course, I should have listened to her then, but I find myself saying that a lot. Anyway, to your answer your question, for the last couple of weeks I have been trying to do this as well. I haven't lost much weight, yet, but I'm working on that, and I've been trying to remind myself all the time about sucking it in. Head up, Stomach in, and Shoulders Back. :)

Shoulders back! Exactly! Roll your shoulders back and turn your hands so your little fingers are at you side and then suck in your gut!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Shoulders back! Exactly! Roll your shoulders back and turn your hands so your little fingers are at you side and then suck in your gut!!

LOVE this! Shoulders back added in to this mix is fabulous! Heads up reminds me of my ole Mom. She used to make us walk around with several large books on our heads when we were young to help us with our posture. I haven't thought of this in many moons, but I also remember many many people constanting complimenting me on how fabulous I walked and my posture. THANKS for posting this--head and shoulders is a tremendous addition to my over-all transforming from a pig to a drop dead gorgeous chick:laugh:
  • fonitoni
    Options

LOVE this! Shoulders back added in to this mix is fabulous! Heads up reminds me of my ole Mom. She used to make us walk around with several large books on our heads when we were young to help us with our posture. I haven't thought of this in many moons, but I also remember many many people constanting complimenting me on how fabulous I walked and my posture. THANKS for posting this--head and shoulders is a tremendous addition to my over-all transforming from a pig to a drop dead gorgeous chick:laugh:

People will talk bout how willowy and lithe we look
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Growing up my mother said that a woman is supposed to always have her stomach sucked in no matter what! So I have done this my whole life. I feel very weird if I let it out.

I grew up this way too, mostly because a friend told me (back when I was really little and still had that 'little girl pouch') to suck in my stomach. So I've always had it sucked in, and it feels weird and not really comfortable to 'relax'. I just hope that I can smooth out the fat pouch that's slowly shrinking until when I stand naturally (with my stomach sucked in, which is natural for me now) that I have a flat stomach like I used to in HS.

Someday... *shakes fist*!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

LOVE LOVE LOVE these choice of words: Willowy and Lithe---:heart:

Once I reach my ultimate goal (Summer 2013) I say by faith, I'd like to change my user name (when I'll be in lifetime maintenance phase) to:

Willowy and Lithe:glasses:
  • fonitoni
    Options

Once I reach my ultimate goal (Summer 2013) I say by faith, I'd like to change my user name (when I'll be in lifetime maintenance phase) to:

And I hope you have to change it to Willowy and Lithe 2 !!!
  • Jennie24abc
    Options
    Thank you. My doctor suggested that I loose the stomache fat in order
    to have my hip surgery. I will definitely try this every day.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Interesting? I'll try this at work since I'm standing all day.
  • an2734
    an2734 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My stomach has also shrunk after 1 month of exercising, and I've also gotten into a new habit of pinching it daily.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

And I hope you have to change it to Willowy and Lithe 2 !!!

You ROCK! :heart:
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've done this all my adult life - and thought I was the only one! It totally works - now it is second nature, even if I'm lying on the sofa watching tv, I have to consciously try to let go - and when my attention slips, the tummy muscles get sucked in automatically.

I'm mid-forties, and my teenage daughter is slender - but still she is jealous of my abs!
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You are so right! Prior to having weight issues I think I held my tum in without ever thinking twice about it. But, since gaining weight it has become way more of an effort to hold it in. I have not been doing this and I definitley need to start. Thanks for the reminder, and grats to you!
    ditto...I did the same thing.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!