When escaping from a Zombie horde, what to wear?

Options
13»

Replies

• couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    It was such fun! The people who were playing zombies looked amazing. My son was a zombie, and we got there two hours before his shift so he could get "zombie training" and professional makeup. The zombies looked really fabulous, straight off a movie set. The promos from the website look just like all the people really were made up to look like.

In addition to makeup, a lot of the people had costumes on. Nuns, brides, sports figures, etc. If money is an issue, and you want to do this race, register as a zombie. You do a three hour shift, and then you get to race after for only $25, rather than the $80+ it typically costs.

Huge party all day long, live bands, tons of food, etc.

Safety was paramount, they had about 100 Marines in uniform stationed throughout the course, as well as available at each obstacle in case someone needed help. (Of course the military is called in during the Zombie Apocalypse!) There were also police and firefighters/EMT there in case of emergency. I'm friends with a few of the firefighters on duty yesterday, and there were very few injuries, which is great, considering about 7000 people raced yesterday.

The obstacles on this particular race weren't tough, IMO. And I've done a few of these types of races now. The mud, which was knee high in many places, was the toughest. If I signed up again, I'd aim for an earlier wave time to get the best conditions. The zombie "gauntlet" was tough. Zombies stationed zig zag every few feet, and you had to dodge them.

I kept my flags until mile three, but did succumb to a zombie nun.

My only gripe was with one of the obstacles. Racers had to go up over and A-frame structure, then slide down into a pool of slime. It was only minutes from the finish line. The slide broke at one point, and there ended up being a bottleneck of racers. I stood there for a good 20 minutes before I could go up and over. If you skip an obstacle, you don't finish, so I wanted to do it.

I was never going to win overall, but I'm always racing against myself. And having done that course before on a different race, I had a time I wanted to beat. I would have, if I didn't get stuck.

But even with that 20 delay, I still came in the top 3rd overall, and had a damn good time. Next time I'm going to be a zombie and racer, get to experience both!

That sounds like such a blast!!!! Thanks for sharing...makes me want to get in shape to do one...almost! (never been much of a runner :laugh: )
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Oh, and keep your back/butt down on the final obstacle. That fence over the belly crawl is electrified, and packs a wallop, especially because you're sopping wet at that point!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    That sounds like such a blast!!!! Thanks for sharing...makes me want to get in shape to do one...almost! (never been much of a runner :laugh: )

I really think just about anyone could do this. There were finish times ranging from sub-30 minutes right on up to two and a half hours. You go at your own pace, and the obstacles weren't that hard. Some of the other races I've done have had much harder obstacles.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    your GRE score....
  • gilgongo
    Options
    SO glad I found this thread! I'm running next month in SoCal and I'm kind of terrified. Not of the zombies (although, come to think of it...) but it's my first 5K and I've never run before. Like, barely at all. I started training a little over a week ago, and I've been running/training every day. Thank GOD it takes some people 2+ hours!

I was also wondering what to wear. I just invested in a pair of $100+ running shoes that I was planning to wear. But are they going to be destroyed?! Should I wear a cheaper pair of shoes? I kind of wanted to wear a costume (maybe dress like Alice), but then I was thinking that, for my first race, I should be as comfortable as possible, and just wear my usual running capris & tank top.

Maybe there's another thread on this, and I'll look, but any tips on how else I should train for this thing? I've never done anything like it. Should I be working out with weights and strengthening my upper body too?
  • JulieDillon83
    JulieDillon83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Main rule is to watch out for grabbers as Max Brooks would say. If they can grab onto your clothes you're done for. So my advice...wear tight clothing.
  • JulieDillon83
    JulieDillon83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just jump in a lake, zombies cant swim. They sink.

World War Z zombies can swim and eat people in the water!

What? No... some are bloated and float; and some bodies of water are shallow enough for them to reach up and grab. None of them swim. That's the whole point of the underwater tracking/killing teams towards the end of the book.

Second that. That's what the underwater teams were for.
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    SO glad I found this thread! I'm running next month in SoCal and I'm kind of terrified. Not of the zombies (although, come to think of it...) but it's my first 5K and I've never run before. Like, barely at all. I started training a little over a week ago, and I've been running/training every day. Thank GOD it takes some people 2+ hours!

I was also wondering what to wear. I just invested in a pair of $100+ running shoes that I was planning to wear. But are they going to be destroyed?! Should I wear a cheaper pair of shoes? I kind of wanted to wear a costume (maybe dress like Alice), but then I was thinking that, for my first race, I should be as comfortable as possible, and just wear my usual running capris & tank top.

Maybe there's another thread on this, and I'll look, but any tips on how else I should train for this thing? I've never done anything like it. Should I be working out with weights and strengthening my upper body too?

I'll be there in October as well - I don't know that there's any specific training. I run all the time, but generally running on the street or on a treadmill doesn't involve obstacles or zombies chasing after me. Hmmm.

I'm going with old shoes. Not even remotely considering my good running shoes. We haven't discussed costumes, but I do have the "This is my Zombie Killing T Shirt" from Hot Topic. Yes, I'm 46 years old and shopped for myself there. My kids laughed at that one. ;)
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh fun in a bun!!! I say you dress like a hooker, cuz when the *kitten* hits the fan, hookers gotta survive too.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh fun in a bun!!! I say you dress like a hooker, cuz when the *kitten* hits the fan, hookers gotta survive too.

No, don't do that. Hookers and black people are the first to go.. dress as the smart, pretty (but doesn't know she's pretty) girl next door and you will be the last one standing!
  • gilgongo
    Options

I'll be there in October as well - I don't know that there's any specific training. I run all the time, but generally running on the street or on a treadmill doesn't involve obstacles or zombies chasing after me. Hmmm.

I'm going with old shoes. Not even remotely considering my good running shoes. We haven't discussed costumes, but I do have the "This is my Zombie Killing T Shirt" from Hot Topic. Yes, I'm 46 years old and shopped for myself there. My kids laughed at that one. ;)

My husband is 45 and buys all his jeans from Hot Topic, so I see no problem there :)

I was thinking about making a tank top that has a picture of Muno from Yo Gabba Gabba (my daughter's favorite) that says "Don't bite your friends!" and wearing that.

As I'm a beginning runner/exerciser I don't HAVE old shoes! I have two pairs and I love both of them :(

I'm thinking about taking my daughter to the park and "training" there, like, on the climbing wall and net ladders.
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    Less is better. my shirt gets caught on door knobs cause I am short.