Low-Carb High-Fat thoughts & discussion

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FSeSTq-N4U4

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Anyone else watch this? A real eye-opener for me!

I've been watching my calories, watching carbs, fat, sugar, all those things... Keeping them as low as possible...

Silly me, I've been buying the Kellogg's low or no-fat bars, snacks, activia yoghurt, all sorts of "diet foods"...

I am starting to see the trend, that these so called 'Diet Foods' have ENORMOUS amounts of carbs for the amount of actual food.. same with cereal, almost any non-natural processed food is LOADED with carbs!

I am having a hard time keeping my daily carb intake below 150, eating flax bread, etc.. Maybe I shouldn't be eating it at all! Oh the humanity!

But it seems that is what we ( *I*, anyway) have grown up accustomed to.. high carb diets... grown up thinking that fat is bad, leads us to eat more carbs...

Anyone else watch the video? (Not sure how to embed, or even link on here, so you'll have to copy & paste)

Replies

• zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    if you keep away from refined anything, you're carbs will be lower. Low-carb/high(er) fat is also called a ketosis diet, and works from some with a carb reload day mixed in every 4-7 days.

If you’re eating real food, and being somewhat mindful of what fruits/veggies you’re eating (pineapples, carrots, oranges, etc in moderation/at all) you’ll go low-carb by default.

On top of that, there are different types of sugar and then you get into the sugar make-up of foods (fructose, sucrose, Glucose or the biggiest to watch) then you can really get dizzy on what is best even with the carbs you are getting.

Eating is a science, but once you figure it out, it gets easier.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and high fat. I am for 50% fat/ 30% protein/ 20% carbs. I actually like to be lower on carbs and higher in fat but now that I am working out, I have upped the carbs just a bit. It's not for everyone but my body responds very well to it.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    The mentality that eating fat makes you fat is false. Don't buy diet foods, just buy normal foods and eat them in smaller quantities.

I know from personal experience that eating too little fat and replacing your fat deficit with carbs is terrible for your body. My hair thinned out and my nails grew in weird because I genuinely thought things like peanut butter, olive oil, real butter, etc, would "ruin my diet" when in REALITY you need to eat them!

Now I measure out 1 tbsp or two (to make it easier use an 1/8 cup) of full fat peanut butter and eat it almost every day. Reduced fat products are a waste, they're full of fillers and chemicals. Get the real thing, eat a balanced diet, and your body will thank you.
  • Ljordan_fitflow
    Ljordan_fitflow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    im watching it now. yea its shocking. even so called "diet" food isnt good for you. i haven't had fast food in a year unless you consider mcdonalds oatmeal fast food.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the obesity epidemic is a good indication that the high carb / low fat eating approach isn't delivering the intended outcome I feel.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what we've all be told we should be eating. Low fat this, no fat that, etc. Looking at foods in their natural form we see that there is plenty of fat, and all for a good reason.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

A chicken breast smothered with butter and sauce has 1/4 the carbs of a Kellogg's Special K 23g Cereal Bar. 18g of carbs in a 23g Cereal Bar...

Cereal & Bread so far are my two biggest carb contributors...
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am loving my low carb lifestyle since I started it a week ago. I cut out all processed food and am eating all natural meats and vegetables. I feel great!!!
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I used to eat diet this and low fat that. Now that I mostly eat regular versions of everything, I'm better off. I only end up eating diet foods when I buy them by mistake.

I was actually able to wean myself off of soda by switching to regular. Now, I drink it only on rare occasions. Similar thing happened when I switched from margerine to regular unsalted butter.

That diet stuff if strangely addictive...
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Interesting comparison, look at how well our pets do on a fresh meat diet compared to the dried kibble they normally eat! WAY healthier!

Same goes for us!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The mentality that eating fat makes you fat is false. Don't buy diet foods, just buy normal foods and eat them in smaller quantities.

I know from personal experience that eating too little fat and replacing your fat deficit with carbs is terrible for your body. My hair thinned out and my nails grew in weird because I genuinely thought things like peanut butter, olive oil, real butter, etc, would "ruin my diet" when in REALITY you need to eat them!

Now I measure out 1 tbsp or two (to make it easier use an 1/8 cup) of full fat peanut butter and eat it almost every day. Reduced fat products are a waste, they're full of fillers and chemicals. Get the real thing, eat a balanced diet, and your body will thank you.

:heart:
  • slainnz
    slainnz Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, the website is great!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch the videos later.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense but if you can't make it a lifestyle you will just gain the weight back. Just take a look at some of the low carb proponents that are still overweight after years of low carbing.
    Its okay to cut out the refined carbs and lower carbs if it allows you to comply with diet and get to goal. But the more I read threads on MFP I realise that those that portion control and allow foods that they like in diet the greater likelihood that they maintain their weight loss.

Low carb sounds very attractive because you are told that as long as you keep it low carb you can eat as much fat and meat as you like. Weight gain is not your fault its the carbs!! You don't own that you are overweight because YOU over-ate.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    the obesity epidemic is a good indication that the high carb / low fat eating approach isn't delivering the intended outcome I feel.

I remember believing that line. Weight gain isn't caused by eating low fat, high carb foods. It is from over-eating.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense but if you can't make it a lifestyle you will just gain the weight back. Just take a look at some of the low carb proponents that are still overweight after years of low carbing.
    Its okay to cut out the refined carbs and lower carbs if it allows you to comply with diet and get to goal. But the more I read threads on MFP I realise that those that portion control and allow foods that they like in diet the greater likelihood that they maintain their weight loss.

Low carb sounds very attractive because you are told that as long as you keep it low carb you can eat as much fat and meat as you like. Weight gain is not your fault its the carbs!! You don't own that you are overweight because YOU over-ate.

Of course it's a lifestyle change. If you quit any diet, and go back to your old eating habits, you're going to gain the weight back. Obviously. I think the biggest obstacle for any low-carber, is to find ways to have variation in their meals, and to find substitutes for the things that used to be comfort foods for them. For me, it's chocolate anything and salty/crunchy stuff. I've solved the problem of the sweets--lots of options. And for the salty, I've discovered cocoa-coated almonds and pork rinds.

If you don't experiment and find lots of different, easy meals, I think you'll get bored and quit. I've been going strong for over a year now at about 20 net carbs a day.

And, as to your last thought, you don't TEND to over-eat on a low carb diet, because protein and fat satiate you.
  • suziecue66
    Options

Of course it's a lifestyle change. If you quit any diet, and go back to your old eating habits, you're going to gain the weight back. Obviously. I think the biggest obstacle for any low-carber, is to find ways to have variation in their meals, and to find substitutes for the things that used to be comfort foods for them. For me, it's chocolate anything and salty/crunchy stuff. I've solved the problem of the sweets--lots of options. And for the salty, I've discovered cocoa-coated almonds and pork rinds.

If you don't experiment and find lots of different, easy meals, I think you'll get bored and quit. I've been going strong for over a year now at about 20 net carbs a day.

And, as to your last thought, you don't TEND to over-eat on a low carb diet, because protein and fat satiate you.

That's the point - low carb is hard to do as a lifestyle. I know of all the lowcarb snack options etc. It eventually gets old.
    Its easier to portion control and eat foods you like.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Weight gain isn't caused by eating low fat, high carb foods. It is from over-eating.

It is, and low fat high carb diet advice is not working in the population at large.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Its easier to portion control and eat foods you like.

I like the low carb foods I'm eating. I have no hunger at all, which is another great benefit to me.

I doubt I could maintain my current calorie deficit on high carb stuff, like the folks in the study below I eat less of low carb foods
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/23/7/948.full.pdf+html
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options