Low-Carb High-Fat thoughts & discussion

Options

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options

I am having a hard time keeping my daily carb intake below 150, eating flax bread, etc.. Maybe I shouldn't be eating it at all! Oh the humanity!

My flax bread has less than 1gr carbs per slice
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My flax bread has less than 1gr carbs per slice

The US includes fiber in "carbohydrates" whereas in the UK we don't. The equivalent is to subtract Fiber from Carbs on a US label to get "net carbs".

Thankfully, we just analyse them separately and our labels state them separately, unless a rogue US analysis sneaks through.

Flax is very low in carbohydrates - about 3% - but high in fibre - maybe 30% - so this is one product that makes transatlantic conversation difficult.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Iv'e been living low carb basically for 16 years. It's the only way I have been able to manage my weight. I bounce my macs around depending on what I'm doing at the time but....my carbs are never more than 40%. .... never less than 20%. As far as products go... yes I use SOME low fat products.... mayo, cheese, sour cream, milk. But most of the other products I use are regular full fat versions....just use them more sparingly.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That's the point - low carb is hard to do as a lifestyle. I know of all the lowcarb snack options etc. It eventually gets old.
    Its easier to portion control and eat foods you like.

Low carb is only hard to do as a lifestyle if you are lazy and uncommitted. I don't have any problems with it. You have to get a little creative now and then when you want to eat out but for those that say it's to hard to maintain, it's just an excuse.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    That's the point - low carb is hard to do as a lifestyle. I know of all the lowcarb snack options etc. It eventually gets old.

Low carb is only hard to do as a lifestyle if you are lazy and uncommitted. I don't have any problems with it. You have to get a little creative now and then when you want to eat out but for those that say it's to hard to maintain, it's just an excuse.

Agreed. You get out of it what you put into it, same as any other "diet" or "lifestyle change".

Personally, I like this better than when I ate the Standard American Diet - I eat real foods (REAL foods don't have ingredients!), and no addictive processed chemicals added to the foods I normally choose. And, I *do* like the foods I eat, or I wouldn't eat them!! I've also found it's a lot easier to pack a lunch/snacks (though I usually don't even need any snacks, just 2-3 meals a day) to bring to work, and doesn't get old to me.
  • RSM2012
    RSM2012 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been following a low carb high fat diet for a month now and I've lost a stone so it does work for losing weight, although I do understand why people disagree. I didn't gain my extra weight from eating carb foods it was from overeating the wrong foods and doing little exercise!! Fact!

I've used the low carb diet to try and control sugar cravings and basically cut out all the bad carbs which were the only kind of carbs i was having before. This has worked for me. All of my carbs now come from vegetables.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I like the low carb foods I'm eating. I have no hunger at all, which is another great benefit to me.

I doubt I could maintain my current calorie deficit on high carb stuff, like the folks in the study below I eat less of low carb foods
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/23/7/948.full.pdf+html

Me, too! I've tried the portion control, and the calorie counting, and working out in the gym excessively. But, I was always hungry. Always cheating. Always feeling guilt. With low carb, I like the foods, I like how I feel, and I'm never hungry. To each his own.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Low carb isn't always easy to do, but mostly because in Western cultures our food options are dominated by packaged, processed crap-in-a-box. You go to a grocery store in the US and 90% of the store is dedicated to processed foods, breads, pastas, rice and cereals. EVERYTHING seems to have wheat in it these days and it's hard as hell to avoid sugar and high-fructose corn syrup even in things that it has no business being in.

I also agree that it's the laziness factor that kills most people that think about switching. Do I have to cook A LOT more now? Yes. Is my food more nutritious and I'm getting more vegtables and other vital minerals and nutrients? You bet. But again I'm in this for the long haul. When it becomes common practice for you to cook and not be lazy, it's really not that big of a deal.

As far as health is concearned as well, I think we'll see a change in the medical advice in the coming years, the huge upswing in cancer, gluten intolerance or sensitivity, diabetes, gastro-intestinal issues and other diseases are not unrelated to our over processed eating habits. As another poster said "Real food doesn't have ingredients", and real food is needed to feed and sustain the human body.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Low carb isn't always easy to do, but mostly because in Western cultures our food options are dominated by packaged, processed crap-in-a-box. You go to a grocery store in the US and 90% of the store is dedicated to processed foods, breads, pastas, rice and cereals. EVERYTHING seems to have wheat in it these days and it's hard as hell to avoid sugar and high-fructose corn syrup even in things that it has no business being in.

No one says anyone has to shop the whole store, once people get used to eating real food and cooking and stop looking for the quick fix, then it's easy. I can find almost everything I need in the outer circle of the store. I rarely venture into the center of the store.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

No one says anyone has to shop the whole store, once people get used to eating real food and cooking and stop looking for the quick fix, then it's easy. I can find almost everything I need in the outer circle of the store. I rarely venture into the center of the store.

I think that you may have misinterpreted what I'm saying. I agree, the only "good" stuff is in the outter aisles, but most people don't realize that, and find it hard to find things to eat because they are not used to shopping for whole, natural, unprocessed foods.

Once you get used to it, it gets easier, but at first many people are overwhelmed and have no idea what they can or should be eating. I'm a lifelong low carber now, and think it's easy.
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    bump
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Its not laziness, or not being committed its just hard to do low carb as a lifestyle for a lot of folks. Glad it is working for those that are doing it.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I think that you may have misinterpreted what I'm saying. I agree, the only "good" stuff is in the outter aisles, but most people don't realize that, and find it hard to find things to eat because they are not used to shopping for whole, natural, unprocessed foods.

Once you get used to it, it gets easier, but at first many people are overwhelmed and have no idea what they can or should be eating. I'm a lifelong low carber now, and think it's easy.

I think you're both saying the same thing, and agreeing with each other. I also just shop the perimeter...that's where the fresh produce is, the meats, the cheeses. There's one aisle (the baking aisle) that I would be able to avoid altogether, except it's where I have to buy my flax, my Splenda, spices and extracts. Also, things like soy flour.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Low carb diets may have a negative impact on the thyroid so something to consider.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets may have a negative impact on the thyroid so something to consider.

Based on what research?

Can you provide a link please?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Low carb sounds very attractive because you are told that as long as you keep it low carb you can eat as much fat and meat as you like. Weight gain is not your fault its the carbs!! You don't own that you are overweight because YOU over-ate.

That isnt true.
    Having a Low-carb intake does not mean you can go gung-ho on anything.. that would be the first generation of Dr. Atkins...

A real low-carb intake would be all fresh foods - natural as possible. No canned, boxed, preprocessed, frozen, etc. No breads/rice/pasta/corn but replace it with healthy vegetables that contain the healthier variety of carbohydrates. And - this would still have a daily calorie minimum/maximum to meet.

I consume 1600cal/daily, no more than 100-120g of healthy carbs per day. I make sure I get a healthy balance without overeating while following a low-carb intake as prescribed by my doctor. And, I knew going into that visit, it did not mean pigging out....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Based on what research?

Sorry that is rediculous - Ive been following a low-carb intake now for almost a year and my thyroid has been tested three times - and each time it has been within normal limits...

Youre gonna need to put up a credible link to prove this because my Endocrinologist could prove you wrong with or without that link.
  • suziecue66
    Options

Based on what research?

Sorry that is rediculous - Ive been following a low-carb intake now for almost a year and my thyroid has been tested three times - and each time it has been within normal limits...

Youre gonna need to put up a credible link to prove this because my Endocrinologist could prove you wrong with or without that link.

Just do a search. There has been quite a lot of discussion in low carb community re this topic. Also I wrote - MAY have a negative impact - not definitive.
  • suziecue66
    Options

Based on what research?

Just do a search. There has been quite a lot of discussion in low carb community re this topic. Also I wrote - MAY have a negative impact - not definitive.

When they tested your thyroid did they look at T3 as well as reverse T3 levels?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Based on what research?

When they tested your thyroid did they look at T3 as well as reverse T3 levels?

http://www.ajcn.org/content/35/1/24.full.pdf

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/48/4/577.full.pdf+html