What would a jog be on the treadmill?

Options
I have recently started couch to 5K training and am determined to become a runner. You know how you're supposed to jog 60 and walk 90 in week one... What would be a good mph at 0% incline?

Yesterday I did 3.5-4 mph walking and 6.0 for the 60 sec jog.

Any input?

Replies

• mandyibiza
    Options
    Try this website its free http://www.activetrainer.com/ ive just started using it, its good to track your fitness activities and has lots of free training programmes..
    I would up your speed a bit, until you feel like your slightly pushing yourself but so your still comfortable with the pace, maybe try 7 then you can keep moving up to 8 etc as you get training more.
    Good luck, you will be doing half marathons soon :0)
    A year ago I could not run , I have since done half marathon and run about 3 or 4 10k runs a week in under 50 mins, so keep with it, my first 10k run was about 1hr 15
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Preface: I bike rather than run so this is not something I focus on, however I have a little bit of training because I am an Elementary school teacher. We do have training to teach PE at the kid level. So, here's my best guess.

Given the differences in bodies (length of leg, fitness level, etc.) I would think that jogging has more to do with the motion that you're going into rather than MPH. If you're doing that push off motion that gets you into a jog rather than a walk, then you're jogging. When I have jogged around the field with my students I do notice that some of them can "power walk" and keep up with my jog. As you get healthier and stronger you will be able to maintain that jog longer and at a higher speed.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I have recently started couch to 5K training and am determined to become a runner. You know how you're supposed to jog 60 and walk 90 in week one... What would be a good mph at 0% incline?

Yesterday I did 3.5-4 mph walking and 6.0 for the 60 sec jog.

Any input?

Keppic is right,
    it all depends on how tall you are and your stride length. I am 5.5' and have average legs, I do anywhere from a 5.5-6.5 as a jog. 5.5 i can maintain for a longer period, 3 miles so far..... and at 6.5 I;m jogging pretty fast and can only go about 1 mile.
    so just test it out,. start out slower and work your way up. try out every level and find what works for you.
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks! I am also 5'5 so I will stick to my 6 and maybe even go down to 5.8 because the last 15 seconds of the 60 seconds of jogging KILL me!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    The idea of couch to 5k is to turn you into a runner and after the initial weeks are over then you can go back and start at week one and increase your speed or distance.

Besides that, what is a good runner is different for each runner and you should be proud of yourself for starting something new. You will get better, faster and stronger as time goes on! :drinker:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Try this website its free http://www.activetrainer.com/ ive just started using it, its good to track your fitness activities and has lots of free training programmes..
    I would up your speed a bit, until you feel like your slightly pushing yourself but so your still comfortable with the pace, maybe try 7 then you can keep moving up to 8 etc as you get training more.
    A year ago I could not run , I have since done half marathon and run about 3 or 4 10k runs a week in under 50 mins, so keep with it, my first 10k run was about 1hr 15

WOWZERS! lol I walk at 3-3.5 and do run at 5 (the 90 second ones but 4.0 for my 3 minute ones). I have tried going up to 6 and I can only do that for 90 seconds TOPS! If I go any higher than 6, I about fall off the back. :laugh: I am guessing that it depends on your height too. I am 5'3 so maybe that is why I go slower. When I started though I was only doing it jogging part at 3.5-3.7 so I am getting faster. :-D I would say what you are doing is wonderful! Keep up the awesome work!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    6.0 is a sprint for me! It depends on your ability. You should be able to increase over time your speed and run faster.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Technically, there is no such thing as "jogging"--you are either "running" or "walking"--"jogging" is easy paced running. I say that not to be pedantic, but to ensure clarity.

The difference between running and walking is foot contact. If you have one foot on the ground at all times during the stride (not the same foot, obviously), you are walking. If both feet leave the ground, you are running.

Speed is more individual. For using it's VO2 estimating equations, the ACSM defines walking as a speed of 4.2 mph and below, and running as 5.0 mph and above--but only because there are too many varied walking styles at speeds above 4.2 mph to develop consistent prediction equations.

Any time you are starting a program, you should always start at a speed that allows you to complete the interval (or intervals) comfortably--feeling effort, but not strain. There is no set number that you have to hit--your relative feeling of effort (along w/feedback from a HRM if you have one) should be your guide.

Starting off slowly almost NEVER hurts you--You can always go faster next time.

Keep up the good work!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

WOWZERS! lol I walk at 3-3.5 and do run at 5 (the 90 second ones but 4.0 for my 3 minute ones). I have tried going up to 6 and I can only do that for 90 seconds TOPS! If I go any higher than 6, I about fall off the back. :laugh: I am guessing that it depends on your height too. I am 5'3 so maybe that is why I go slower. When I started though I was only doing it jogging part at 3.5-3.7 so I am getting faster. :-D I would say what you are doing is wonderful! Keep up the awesome work!

It's more aerobic ability than height. There are world champion marathoners shorter than you who can run 11 mph for over two hours, so height is not really a factor.

Whatever speed is comfortable and gets your heart rate up is the right speed!