Net intake!??

Options
I've been losing weight for months now but hit a snag i think but i have been working out hard (been running in sprints and haven't ran in a Long time) but haven't lost as much weight as I should have and am wondering if it's because I'm not NETING 1200 calories a day?

Replies

• ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't know your stats.... but you are a guy and no way should you ever net 1200 calories. You need to eat more food. At least 1600 calories, probably.
  • moea432
    moea432 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It says my max is 1500 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week but I work out at least 600 calories a day....so am I supposed to net at least 1500?
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Well if netting below 1500 hasnt worked for you then you should give it a go and see what happens.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Most people can't and shouldn't be encouraged to try to lose 2 lbs/week without sacrificing lean mass. Change your goal to 1 lb/week and see what happens.
  • moea432
    Options
    It has! I'm down 52lbs but I quit smoking a few months ago sO I started running more and started brining more calories and I haven't lost as much weight weekly as I was and I don't know if it's because I'm not eating enough? Or what
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well if netting below 1500 hasnt worked for you then you should give it a go and see what happens.
    This.
    Most people can't and shouldn't be encouraged to try to lose 2 lbs/week without sacrificing lean mass. Change your goal to 1 lb/week and see what happens.
    And this.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'5 female and I can't eat fewer than 1500 net calories a day if I want to lose.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It has! I'm down 52lbs but I quit smoking a few months ago sO I started running more and started brining more calories and I haven't lost as much weight weekly as I was and I don't know if it's because I'm not eating enough? Or what

Excellent work so far. Definitely should be NETTING your calorie target. And consider aiming for 1lb/week loss now that you're closer to the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • moea432
    Options

Excellent work so far. Definitely should be NETTING your calorie target. And consider aiming for 1lb/week loss now that you're closer to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok thank you!! I'll try for a few weeks i guess and see how it works!
  • moea432
    Options
    Also I know it says my goal weight is 200 but I feel like its got to be less than that but I guess well see
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    What does MFP list as your calorie goal before you log any exercise? That makes a huge difference if you want advice based on net calories, rather than total.
  • moea432
    Options
    1500 before workout....so I figure don't net anymore than 1500
    But no less than 1200
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat the suggested amount MFP has recommended, PLUS half to all of my work out calories.

Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group. They have a lot of very helpful information.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I am a female and when I plateaued for about 4 weeks I had to up my calories and those last stubborn pounds came off fast. I plateaued around the time my lifting became heavier and more rigorous and my body couldn't keep up with the lower cals. Try it for 2 weeks, it can't hurt to see.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am a female and when I plateaued for about 4 weeks I had to up my calories and those last stubborn pounds came off fast. I plateaued around the time my lifting became heavier and more rigorous and my body couldn't keep up with the lower cals. Try it for 2 weeks, it can't hurt to see.
    If I can ask: what are your stats? How much were you netting before, and how much after? Height/weight?
    Thanks!
  • moea432
    Options
    Well also i think I needed to change my activity level from sedimentary to at least light activity seeing I work out 5 times a week and don't sit all day! It added an extra 250 calories a day changing just that! Also I've noticed when lifting lately I can't lift as long....Maybe in just not eating enough and my body isn't losing because of slow metabolism
    ?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Well also i think I needed to change my activity level from sedimentary to at least light activity seeing I work out 5 times a week and don't sit all day! It added an extra 250 calories a day changing just that! Also I've noticed when lifting lately I can't lift as long....Maybe in just not eating enough and my body isn't losing because of slow metabolism
    ?

working out doesn't play into your lifestyle..if u are mostly sitting except when ur at the gym etc..ur sedentary..try switching the loss like others have suggested..

Also netting at least 1200 may work for you..depending on what you're burning on the workouts..also u can manually adjust your settings if u want..
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ?

Yes, your body needs fuel to make it go! If you aren't eating enough you will feel sluggish. I think you know what you need to do! I am glad you changed your activity level!
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    Slightly off-topic, but I'm kinda not understanding the whole net intake. Sort of. Mine is set for 1,400. When I burn X amount of calories, that gives me an extra X amount of calories/etc to consume. Very stupid question sorry, but am I supposed to consume those extras, if I already met all my intake # before working out, or just leave it? I hope that makes sense. I'm new on here, and am wanting to learn how to remain healthy and lose weight the proper way.
  • moea432
    Options
    I don't sit all
    Day I try and stay active either running errands or helping customers ( I leave my
    Shop a couple hours a day to work out) then come
    Back until Six to goHome And relax