Any tricks for getting butt out of bed at 5:00 AM ?

Options
joeq722
joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
I know that cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is best for fat burning, and it is the most convenient time for me.

But I CAN'T GET OUT OF BED !

There might not be any trick to it, but if somebody knows any, I'm a listenin.....

Replies

• sarahaynes83
    Options
    you can borrow my 7 week old baby!! wakes me up at 5am and i cant get back to sleep. i keep telling myself 30 mins exercise is better than lying waiting for the alarm to go off!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30 am and start my w/o at about 5-5:30 after my cup of coffee. I find that I have to get to bed early
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm not sure there are any tricks. Getting to bed early seems to be the key factor for me.
    I have to shut off all electronics and actually start the process for getting ready for bed about an hour before I intend for my head to hit the pillow.

Also, might not hurt to ease into it. First, commit to only getting up that early three times during the week.

Lastly, as long as you're working out, the time isn't so much a factor. Do it when it works for you. I just happen to love the feeling of being done with my workout for the day before most have had their coffee. I love having the evenings "off" to do whatever I'd like (except eat cake, of course).

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Going to bed earlier helps at first. After it becomes a habit you will find yourself waking up automatically at that time every day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes off, sit up and put your feet on the floor. Don't eff around with the snooze button. Just...get up.

You could also get a dog. They like to get up at the same time every day. :)
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to put the alarm clock on the other side of the room. Forced me to get up to shut it off.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm on the other end of the room and put the worst ringtone possible. That way, you'll have no choice but to get up to stop it.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It will be hard at first! What I did was make sure everything I needed was ready and packed in the car (besides my food) the night before. This way I didn't have to waste time doing that and could get straight to business once out of bed. Then I set my alarm to 4:30 to give me at least an half hour to gradually wake up. Once up, its cake from there. It took me about 2-3 weeks of doing this for my body to adjust. Now, I wake up on my own at that time everyday.

Another tip is to set an alarm not close to your bed so you will have to get up to turn it off.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes off, sit up and put your feet on the floor. Don't eff around with the snooze button. Just...get up.

My dog looks at me like I'm an idiot in the morning, no matter what time it is.

Going to sleep earlier is a big key, along with the adaptation. More power to you. I'm definitely not a morning person. (And neither is my dog.)
  • kristibag81
    kristibag81 Posts: 61
    Options
    Put your alarm on the other end of the room and put the worst ringtone possible. That way, you'll have no choice but to get up to stop it.

AGREE 100%!!!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I found that if you want to get up early for exercise and you have a choice to do it later keep with the later time. I tried getting up early but I already have to be at work by 6:45 and that is early enough for me.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Yep. Go to bed by 9pm. the night before. :)
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options

^^^^^ This exactly. both points. The snooze button is the devil. And my dog is usually standing at the side of my bed when my alarm goes off . . . ready to pounce on me if I don't get up immediately.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I know that cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is best for fat burning...

I've heard that too, though I have seen nothing to back that up.

I run at night instead, and sleep really well..
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yes to going to bed early. I have to be in bed before 10:30pm to be up between 5 and 6. And when I'd rather roll back over, I usually just remind myself that I'm much more likely to have a crappy day if I skip my AM workout. Does the trick.

And when you first change your schedule, don't scrap it if you're running late. Even if you only have time to work out for 20 mins-- go. And it will get easier each day.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time as well.... I have noticed that it is getting easier.... I get up at 4am. I set the alarm for 345, then snooze a few times!! :yawn:

but it DOES feel great when by 530am .... DVD's have been worked out, 3 miles have been run, and some yoga has been done..... then you can move on with tons of energy and the feeling of accomplishment!!! Good luck!
  • aprileigh27
    aprileigh27 Posts: 37
    Options
    hahaha...go to bed early :)

set you alarm clock for 4:45 so you can hit your snooze button once or twice haha
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 or 4:45 am for my workouts. My secret is to go to bed early and make sure I get my 8 hours of sleep. Also keep in mind that it is hard at first, but the longer you do it the easier it will be. I tend to wake up at 5 am on the weekends, even though I could sleep in.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    hey,
    get a dog, my dog gets me up at 5am, i walk him then go gym, he's turned me into an early bird...love the mornings, best time of day. :-)...plus go to bed early
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking a bunch of water before bed, but that might just as well get you up at 3 a.m. as 5 a.m. My dog would let me stay in bed all day, but cats make great alarm clocks. My parents' cat bellows in my mother's face every morning at 5 a.m. because that is when she is used to being fed.