Any tricks for getting butt out of bed at 5:00 AM ?

Options

Replies

• C4r4W4de
    C4r4W4de Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is the 15 seconds it takes to actually get out of bed and walk to your running clothes. After that you're up and excited for the run. So, just do it! Also, it doesn't take long before you just automatically start waking up at that time. By then, even if you intend to take a day off, you feel like you might as well get up and run rather than lay there and feel guilty.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yes.

There is an alarm clock that connects via wifi to your bank account. Every time you hit snooze it donates money to a charity you hate.

I love it! Do you think I could get it to donate to the Democratic party?? Calm down people its just a joke...

LOL !
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes! Go to bed early enough the night before! :) MinMin
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I know that cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is best for fat burning, and it is the most convenient time for me.

But I CAN'T GET OUT OF BED !

There might not be any trick to it, but if somebody knows any, I'm a listenin.....

Don't do it because of any purported "fat burning" benefits--that's just broscience.

If it's the best thing for your schedule, then I think you have gotten some good ideas.

I work different shifts and varied hours, so I cannot stick to one routine. On the days when I need to work out early, I find that it's best to: A) have a plan for what to do for my workout and B) have all my workout clothes, HRM, iPod, shoes, all laid out and ready to go in the bedroom or bathroom.

That way I wake up with a sense of purpose and there are no logistical obstacles.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I find its easier to get up if you have your workout clothes, gym shoes and everything at the foot of your bed, in your bathroom (I always have to go when I get up in the am), or a chair near your bed. Therefore you donot have to search around and waste any time. Going to bed is much easier because you get up so early every day and have a full day. I really enjoyed getting up especially in the spring and summer at 4:45 and walking outside and watching the sun come up. This year the track has been killing my knees so I have been doing my treadmill. I have to let my dog out to go potty so when she goes out, I put my workout gear on and when she comes back in , then I begin my workout. Even those mornings I think differently when awakening, by the time I go down stairs and let the dog out , I just Do It!!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes off, sit up and put your feet on the floor. Don't eff around with the snooze button. Just...get up.

You could also get a dog. They like to get up at the same time every day. :)
    well said! i find that if you leave the room immediately after getting up, it helps. within in minutes, you'll be ready to go!
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I haven't been reading any replies but I will have to get up around 4:30 soon to start my insanity. I have 5 kids that are 6,5,3,2 and 8mths and that will be harder for me than the actual workout at first.

I do not get to sleep in or sleep through the night so i just have to try to get to bed by 8pm to make sure i can get enough sleep time. My 3 youngest though usually go to be between 8:30-9:30 so i will have to adjust when they go to bed as well.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When I really, realy want to do it, when all I can think about is getting another workout in, then I can wake up early. And of course you have to go to bed in enough time so you get 8 hours of sleep. That being said 5am is not right for everyone. Maybe you're not a morning person. Maybe you do better working out at night. Sure they might say ideally you should do it on am empty stomach first thing, but there are plenty of people who lose weight by working out after work as well. We all have to do what works for us individually. I like doing it in the morning because there is less chance that I will mess up or get caught up in something else and miss my workout entirely, but the other night I worked out after midnight because I had a sick kid. Just have to fit it in where we can and make it as pleasant and convenient as possible so we stick with it. That's my humble opinion.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have any goals that you can tie getting up so early to? Example: training for a race; being able to energize and clear your mind to start out your day; the way a good workout makes you feel strong and confident.

I'm doing the One America Mini this weekend, and have had to really drag my butt out of bed some mornings. But I feel so much better after I do!
  • dellamac
    dellamac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to get into a routine. I started going to bed a bit earlier and set my alarm about 15 minutes earlier every week until I got to the time I needed to be up to get in a good workout. The first few weeks are hard and my cardio was lacking but I still did something every morning I woke up.

Now I can't sleep past 6 even when I don't have to get up or its a rest day. Careful what you wish for. LOL

Also, I sleep in my running clothes, so I don't have an excuse to not to go.

Good luck!
  • kmastello
    kmastello Posts: 25
    Options
    If I can do it, you can! 3 days a week I go to the gym at 5:00 am which requires waking up at 4:15. I have a baby who DOESNT sleep for more than an hour at a time which means i am up nursing him back to sleep EVERY hour! Losing the weight is important enough to me that I am willing to do it... YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :)
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Lots of great ideas!
  • kbreens
    kbreens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have an alarm with a light that comes on gradually 30 minutes before I have to get up, then when the alarm goes off, I am already somewhat awake. It has a feature where you can add sound, like birds chirping, about 15 minutes before the alarm goes off.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning 6 days a week. After a couple of days it gets routine, but on the days where I'm tired and that voice in my head is telling me to sleep a little longer (jerk), I remind myself, "the most important step is the first step out of bed". I'm never disappointed once I get out of bed and get moving.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning 6 days a week. After a couple of days it gets routine, but on the days where I'm tired and that voice in my head is telling me to sleep a little longer (jerk), I remind myself, "the most important step is the first step out of bed". I'm never disappointed once I get out of bed and get moving.

I need to remind myself of that. Good quote to share. :)
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 4:30am and get up between 4:30am and 4:45am and as soon as the alarm goes off I have to have that little voice inside my head push me to get out and get ready for my workout.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    You know what I do?

I don't.

Mornings are just not my thing. I have tried so very many times to make them my thing and I just don't get the same quality work out as I do in the evenings. So, evenings it is! I actually envy people who can get up early and have a great workout at 5am...my mom does it all the time...no me gusta.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 4:30am and get up between 4:30am and 4:45am and as soon as the alarm goes off I have to have that little voice inside my head push me to get out and get ready for my workout.

My little voice says "Wtf are you doing? Go back to sleep, crazy."

Your little voice sounds a lot more productive than mine.
  • SuCcERBuNcH
    SuCcERBuNcH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you know i will try it :smokin:
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Glad I searched first, was going to post just this question - slightly different angle, because I find myself waiting for the alarm to go off, with increasing dread, far worse than any actual exercise. Such tricks as I have are

1) Prepare everthing the night before - pretty much covered in previous posts.
    2) Dont think. Dont visualise the big picture, just the the next two or three things in the sequence. Increasingly, I admire the maxim 'dont believe everything you think'.
    3) The post about the cats getting you up is so true.