Eating every 2-3 hours a MYTH!??? WTH!

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I eat two large meals a day, in an eight hour window.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    TinaLatina: do not read articles or take advice from noncredible sources. That article didn't even cite any research or analysis. It's just someone's personal opinion.

Ironic post is ironic.
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So maybe we're not "helpless morons" if what works for you doesn't work for us? Just sayin'.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    BMR and macronutrients are tailored to the individua (Duh)l. So my BMR and macros are different from the next. It's the science that remains the same not the nutrition plan.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm just not hungry every two or three hours. Thirsty, yes.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    It's not ironic, because I can back up what I say.

Jim Stoppani, PhD-Jim Stoppani received his doctorate in exercise physiology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Connecticut. Following graduation, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in the prestigious John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at Yale University School of Medicine, where he investigated the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.

Science proves that

1. Eat 6 smaller meals per day, not 2-3 feasts

This will ensure that you supply your body with the nutrients necessary to build muscle and burn fat.

Bonus: Your resting metabolic rate increases. It will also prevent your body from kicking into “starvation” mode, which can happen when too much time elapses between meals.

If this happens, your body will start burning muscle for energy and increasing your body fat stores, as well as slowing down your metabolism. This is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

Don’t be one of those people that complain about their situation but never does anything to improve it. Don’t become “happy” with the status quo of being miserable. Now take action on your knowledge!
    (Dr Jim Soppani)"
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat 6 small meals a day unless you like being hungry all the time. I did the 6 meal thing for years and it sucked, especially if you have a real job.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    I'm just not hungry every two or three hours. Thirsty, yes.

In my opinion, you might just have a slow metabolism. So eat every 2-3 hours and your body's metabolism will speed up, unless you have thyroid problems or other conditions with at would prevent this. Do your research.

If you are on my fitness pal the. It's safe to assume you are trying to eat better and lose weight? How long have you been doing it and what's your results?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat 6 small meals a day unless you like being hungry all the time. I did the 6 meal thing for years and it sucked, especially if you have a real job. And way to bump a year old thread lol
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. Eat enough to be satisfied. Stay at a caloric deficit to lose weight. It's not hard.
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Past week or so I've started eating little and often, every two to three hours ... I find it better as I constantly feel satisfied and don't feel hungry as I usually do at night times so don't binge, especially drinking water in between meals.i've also found I feel less bloated so this is what has started to suit me. I'll find out how it effects my weight loss next time I weigh in :)
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    You don't have to eat 6 small meals a day unless you like being hungry all the time. I did the 6 meal thing for years and it sucked, especially if you have a real job.

It's possible. My meals aren't super small, they are in line with my macros. My breakfast for the day is usually 400-500 calories, Lunch 300-400, dinner 300-500 and in between means/Whey protein is about 1,000 per day. I'm Active Duty Army (10 years), 5 kids, and 3/4 time college student. For me this is 500 calories under my maintenance so I can lose some fat.

You've got a great build.
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It doesn't f*cking matter. Your body will always obey the laws of physics (thermodynamics specifically) when it comes to calories.

QFT.

I normally eat a tiny breakfast (or no breakfast), a tiny lunch, and a GIANT dinner around 8pm. I like loading up a dinner plate and cleaning it, and eating lightly throughout the day affords me that luxury. If I ate every couple of hours I'd still want a big dinner, and end up consuming too many calories over the course of the day.

Eat less than you burn, and you'll lose weight. End of story. Time your meals however it works for your life.
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I usually will eat when i'm hungry. Sometimes I eat snacks, and sometimes I don't eat snacks.

I have been eating:

Breakfast
    Small snack
    Lunch
    Small snack
    Dinner

It usually makes me feel fuller by the end of the day if I do snack. But I just listen to what my stomach tells me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I time my meals the same way Homo erectus did. i.e. I eat when I'm hungry, and I eat a lot of protein after strenuous exercise.

I highly doubt Homo erectus ever attempted to measure time. Your body doesn't either. Yes there are circadian rhythms. I'm sure all the Homo erectuses slept when it got dark. But I highly doubt they cared how soon before sleeping they ate, or how many times in a day they ate. No idea if they could even count.

Obesity is caused by eating more than you burn off, because food is too easily available and people tend to be very sedentary nowadays. It's fixed by eating less than you burn off and a healthy weight is maintained by eating the same amount as you burn off. Get the nutrients your body needs for health, and exercise for health and fitness. Really that is all, no need to over-complicate everything with unnecessary rules. Use a site like this one to ensure that you really are eating less than you burn off. Time your meals according to what works for you with regard to fitting it into your daily schedule and hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets, because it really doesn't matter beyond that.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    Past week or so I've started eating little and often, every two to three hours ... I find it better as I constantly feel satisfied and don't feel hungry as I usually do at night times so don't binge, especially drinking water in between meals.i've also found I feel less bloated so this is what has started to suit me. I'll find out how it effects my weight loss next time I weigh in :)

Aim for a gallon of water a day. Ironically, drinking more water makes you retain less water, hince the reason you feel less bloated!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The idea that eating small meals every few hours "boosts your metabolism" is the part that's a myth. What isn't a myth is that it helps keep some people from feeling hungry because they always have at least some food in their bodies. For those people, it can keep portion sizes down just because they aren't as hungry.

If you find yourself starving between meals and ending up eating a lot more than your calorie allowance because you're just so hungry, try eating more frequently. It's not an inherently better or worse system, just one that works for some people.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    The idea that eating small meals every few hours "boosts your metabolism" is the part that's a myth. What isn't a myth is that it helps keep some people from feeling hungry because they always have at least some food in their bodies. For those people, it can keep portion sizes down just because they aren't as hungry.

If you find yourself starving between meals and ending up eating a lot more than your calorie allowance because you're just so hungry, try eating more frequently. It's not an inherently better or worse system, just one that works for some people.

Not a myth if there is evidence based research. Myths cannot be proven through research. Facts with visible results aren't myth!! Do your research!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Not a myth if there is evidence based research. Myths cannot be proven through research. Facts with visible results aren't myth!! Do your research!
    So it wasn't a myth that the sun revolved around the Earth? Because there was research for that, too: observation. You see the sun rise in the east and set in the west, but the Earth clearly wasn't moving. Science is a work in progress, we have to keep studying and finding new information.

Like these:
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/tandf/ssnu/2004/00000048/00000003/art00003
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=873508
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    6 small meals a day is bull****

I eat whenever I'm hungry, as long as im hitting calorie goals it does not matter.

I did intermittent fasting last year for 4 months, if anything i saw better results eating 2 large meals a day that equaled my daily calories, than spreading it all day and doing 6.