Running and/or high intensity training lowers testosterone

Options

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I can see this as an excuse some guys would give.

"It's ok, baby... I don't need to wear a condom. I run, so my boys don't swim."

Don't give away my secrets!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I can see this as an excuse some guys would give.

"It's ok, baby... I don't need to wear a condom. I run, so my boys don't swim."

Lol awesome =)
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Probably the most ridiculous post I have ever read.

:noway:

Ridiculous? No. It's just science - reproduced my multiple studies.

Opposite what you hope to be true? Apparently, yes.

Besides... what do you mind about reduced fertility if you're endurance training all the time? :bigsmile:

Because you can find a negative for pretty much any activity you want.
    Not certain your motivation for even doing the research and posting this information in the first place.
    Running marathons or competing in any number of endurance events is a major accomplishment and a tribute to their physical fitness and dedication to what they do.

Your post is as ridiculous as other posts similarly knocking Body Building and its "negative side affects"
    Heart attacks at a young age
    Low Self esteem
    Kidney failure
    Liver disease
    Long term testicular failure
    Depression
    Huge suicide risk
    Life threatening infections
    Problems with aggression
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would have liked to have seen in these studies how running effects estrogen and testosterone production in both men and women.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Do we know how accomplished/trained/fit (for lack of a better word) the ET groups were?

Could body/dietary fat play a role as well or instead of the cardio training? We know fat levels can impact hormone production...

One of the studies stated that the men were "sedentary".

Right, 1 study says it took 40 sedentary people and had them pedal. That's not a study on endurance trained athletes, that's a study on cardio exercise. 3 looked specifically at endurance trained athletes, and at least one of them compared them to a sedentary group. I'm wondering what "endurance trained" means. Are they talking about elite level athletes (competitive ironmen, for example), or are they looking at more "regular" people (like me) who enjoy endurance activities in their spare time, around full time jobs, kids/families, etc.?
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    lol :)
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I would have liked to have seen in these studies how running effects estrogen and testosterone production in both men and women.

Couldn't find concrete info on how running or high endurance training affects women.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Wow, look at that ! One of the side affects is "Long Term Testicular failure !!
    OMG - you better quit now before your penis falls off.....

Get a life!

The hostility really isn't necessary is it. Scientific studies are meant to further our understanding. The OP didn't post this to tell people that running is wrong. He very clearly explained the body differences that result from two different types of training. The studies are too narrow to say for sure, but this type of study could create a natural way to treat hormonal imbalances. I found the study insightful, but I found your response to be immature.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Ridiculous? No. It's just science - reproduced my multiple studies.

Opposite what you hope to be true? Apparently, yes.

Besides... what do you mind about reduced fertility if you're endurance training all the time? :bigsmile:

Because you can find a negative for pretty much any activity you want.
    Not certain your motivation for even doing the research and posting this information in the first place.
    Running marathons or competing in any number of endurance events is a major accomplishment and a tribute to their physical fitness and dedication to what they do.

Your post is as ridiculous as other posts similarly knocking Body Building and its "negative side affects"
    Heart attacks at a young age
    Low Self esteem
    Kidney failure
    Liver disease
    Long term testicular failure
    Depression
    Huge suicide risk
    Life threatening infections
    Problems with aggression

Wow, look at that ! One of the side affects is "Long Term Testicular failure !!
    OMG - you better quit now before your penis falls off.....

Get a life!

*pats head* There there. No need to get upset. :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Interesting.

Do we know how accomplished/trained/fit (for lack of a better word) the ET groups were?

Could body/dietary fat play a role as well or instead of the cardio training? We know fat levels can impact hormone production...

Right, 1 study says it took 40 sedentary people and had them pedal. That's not a study on endurance trained athletes, that's a study on cardio exercise. 3 looked specifically at endurance trained athletes, and at least one of them compared them to a sedentary group. I'm wondering what "endurance trained" means. Are they talking about elite level athletes (competitive ironmen, for example), or are they looking at more "regular" people (like me) who enjoy endurance activities in their spare time, around full time jobs, kids/families, etc.?

I'm pretty sure it depends on your volume/frequency levels when it comes to your endurance training bro.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

He did cite some actual studies that back up his point of view......Do you have any that state increased or at least maintained levels of testosterone with large amounts of cardiovascular exercise?

It's not necessarily the studies, it's the conclusions and comments that represent such a narrow and biased point of view, they devolve into the "silly" category.

Beyond the data in the studies, there's a lot more that has to be explored before you can draw wide ranging "cause and effect" conclusions.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Good questions, all. However, there is only one study group that I'm really concerned with. Me. And I know that this study group is working just fine. ;)

I have no idea why the OP even felt the need post this unless he's just totally narcissistic. *shrug*
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Interesting.

Good questions, all. However, there is only one study group that I'm really concerned with. Me. And I know that this study group is working just fine. ;)

I have no idea why the OP even felt the need post this unless he's just totally narcissistic. *shrug*

You're taking it personal bud. It's not a bash against runners.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I just want to know why carbs are making me fat!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I just want to know why carbs are making me fat!

Because they love you!! :smooched:
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if the lowered testosterone is associated or confounded by the decreased body weight in endurance trained athletes. Typically endurance athletes (or at least endurance athletes that are professionally trained or are serious about speed) tend to be on the very lean side with little muscle mass. I would think that the difference in muscle mass between ET and SED men would seriously confound the relationship between testosterone and ET vs SED.

Maybe I missed it, but I'd also like to see studies for inbetween (not ET but not SED) to see if there is a dose response effect. I would still venture a guess that the lowered T has to do with less body weight and the leanness of the ET athletes.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It's sad that I have to do this first but,

Disclaimer: I am in no way taking personal shots and/or attacking runners or high endurance athletes.

Pretty sure the people who are getting butt hurt about this should re-read the original post by the OP.

Also- believe his post was just to give out information to others about something that he found interesting. No one is saying that endurance running is going to make your balls fall off. It is simply stating that it decreases the testosterone in men- which could effect some who are having difficulties in that area.

Read the articles, either accept the information or discard it, but don't get mad at the OP because he decided to put out information that you don't particularly like.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The first abstract cited said that the testosterone levels were lower but still within the normal clinical range.

I don't know why that would be so hard to believe.

I'm a long distance runner and I'm not losing any sleep over it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do find this topic VERY interesting, and yes, it is somewhat personal for me.

I suppose the only real way to know is to have tested hormone levels before the person started training and continued testing periodically as they were training over several years.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to be a serious hardcore runner to have it affect your tesosterone levels that much