Running and/or high intensity training lowers testosterone

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to be a serious hardcore runner to have it affect your tesosterone levels that much

It's not even just about running bud.

Do a workout log to test it.

On the day you do a big compound movement like Squats and/or Bench Press, one day don't do any cardio before you strength train, then the next time you do the SAME type of exercise (squats or bench), do some moderate to high intensity cardio directly BEFORE you train. I will guarantee you that the results will be different.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You're taking it personal bud. It's not a bash against runners.

No, not at all. Here is what I take issue with. With this statement, it's clear that you don't particularly care for endurance type of training. If you did, you wouldn't have stated "This is to show you why doing TOO MUCH...", which is clearly directed at those people who do endurance train. Then you go on to make a dismissive statement about how people are training for races. Read that sentence again and tell me how it doesn't sound dismissive. Lastly, you state that "There's a difference between practicing or training for a race, and running your *kitten* off 6-7 days a week." yet offer no explanation about what this difference is, in your opinion.

The entire tone of your post reads like "endurance training is dangerous and your might not be able to get it up if you don't stop".
    This is to show you why doing TOO MUCH running, high intensity/volume cardio, and/or high intensity/volume endurance training isn't necessarily a good thing. All the time I see people on MFP talking about how they train 6 or 7 days a week running 20 miles and/or 2 hours a day getting ready for their next 5k, 10k or whatever. There's a difference between practicing or training for a race, and running your *kitten* off 6-7 days a week.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to be a serious hardcore runner to have it affect your tesosterone levels that much

On the day you do a big compound movement like Squats and/or Bench Press, one day don't do any cardio before you strength train, then the next time you do the SAME type of exercise (squats or bench), do some moderate to high intensity cardio directly BEFORE you train. I will guarantee you that the results will be different.

Can't that just be fatigue? I've tried to lift after playing basketball (once, didn't go well), but the energy I normally put into lifting was spent playing basketball, so I nothing for the workout. That's not a testosterone thing.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sorry, way too many big words to read & I couldn't get past the ET men. It made me want to reeses pieces & phone home.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Can't that just be fatigue? I've tried to lift after playing basketball (once, didn't go well), but the energy I normally put into lifting was spent playing basketball, so I nothing for the workout. That's not a testosterone thing.

I think he is trying to make a correlation between fatigue and testosterone production.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Everyone's version of fit is different. For some they want the bobybuilder look and have no neck, some view fit as their ability to perform a given activity (running, biking, soccer, hockey etc). There is no wrong, just what you prefer.

I don't think it's rocket science to anyone on here that endurance athletes are on the smaller side and don't have bulky muscles. This is due to how they train and the activity they participate in. If a runner was the size of Lou Ferrigno he would be a highly inefficient runner. Conversely, if you are a body builder having a lean frame will not get you any first place ribbons.

To each their own. There is no wrong. If you love lifting weights and the look it gives you continue. If you enjoy pushing your body to it's limits and the amazing feeling of finishing a endurance event then don't stop.

This study only proves the value of testosterone in muscle building. Testosterone, protein, and strength training is required to put on bulk. This is why women don't need to worrry about lifting weights and bulking up (missing 1/3 of the formula) and why men who are edurance athletes have small and lean frames.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

I could suggest lifting before you go lifiting and your numbers would plummet.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This study only proves the value of testosterone in muscle building. Testosterone, protein, and strength training is required to put on bulk. This is why women don't need to worrry about lifting weights and bulking up (missing 1/3 of the formula) and why men who are edurance athletes have small and lean frames.

This statement was the OP's point in the first place.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Take a 5-10 min break before lifting. ;-)
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

No, not at all. Here is what I take issue with. With this statement, it's clear that you don't particularly care for endurance type of training. If you did, you wouldn't have stated "This is to show you why doing TOO MUCH...", which is clearly directed at those people who do endurance train. Then you go on to make a dismissive statement about how people are training for races. Read that sentence again and tell me how it doesn't sound dismissive. Lastly, you state that "There's a difference between practicing or training for a race, and running your *kitten* off 6-7 days a week." yet offer no explanation about what this difference is, in your opinion.

The entire tone of your post reads like "endurance training is dangerous and your might not be able to get it up if you don't stop".
    This is to show you why doing TOO MUCH running, high intensity/volume cardio, and/or high intensity/volume endurance training isn't necessarily a good thing. All the time I see people on MFP talking about how they train 6 or 7 days a week running 20 miles and/or 2 hours a day getting ready for their next 5k, 10k or whatever. There's a difference between practicing or training for a race, and running your *kitten* off 6-7 days a week.

THIS
    :drinker:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Good thing I don't have a penis....or run...

or want to become bulky

Misinformation

2qksaz7.jpg
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between practicing or training for a race, and running your *kitten* off 6-7 days a week.
    There is no difference if you want to win.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    How bout this...If you run alot see your doctor to see if you can get some Testosterone therapy. Then start lifting weights
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I wonder if it's more the stress levels from training that hard
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

THIS

Even so, he has an opinion and then went and found well established published scientific studies to assist him in explaining why he has that opinion. One of his main points not being that if you run a lot you may have ED but that if you run a lot you may never get the look of the British runner on page 1 of this thread (showing the difference in structure of a sprinter vs a long distance runner) because that musculature requires testosterone that may be depleated with long distance runners. There is nothing wrong with disputing his point and asking great questions, but having studies on the other side of the argument goes a lot further than simply saying "you hate long distance running so your biased so I'm not listening." *plugs ears and hums.*
  • runningxlove
    Options
    Testosterone lowering or not....

To me, in regards to sexiness:

Runners' bodies > bodybuilders' bodies

::drool::

I may be biased though, since I am in fact a runnin' fool.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if the lowered testosterone is associated or confounded by the decreased body weight in endurance trained athletes. Typically endurance athletes (or at least endurance athletes that are professionally trained or are serious about speed) tend to be on the very lean side with little muscle mass. I would think that the difference in muscle mass between ET and SED men would seriously confound the relationship between testosterone and ET vs SED.

Maybe I missed it, but I'd also like to see studies for inbetween (not ET but not SED) to see if there is a dose response effect. I would still venture a guess that the lowered T has to do with less body weight and the leanness of the ET athletes.

Look! An informed response with no bashing the OP. Who knew that could happen. But anyways, yeah this would be something to check out too. Is it the actual running that causes less testosterone or the lower body weight and muscle mass.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

THIS

Even so, he has an opinion and then went and found well established published scientific studies to assist him in explaining why he has that opinion. One of his main points not being that if you run a lot you may have ED but that if you run a lot you may never get the look of the British runner on page 1 of this thread (showing the difference in structure of a sprinter vs a long distance runner) because that musculature requires testosterone that may be depleated with long distance runners. There is nothing wrong with disputing his point and asking great questions, but having studies on the other side of the argument goes a lot further than simply saying "you hate long distance running so your biased so I'm not listening." *plugs ears and hums.*

I never disputed his point, I take exception with his delivery and the condescending undertones. I've never seen a world class distance runner look like a sprinter and I fully expect that I never will. I also take no exception with someones choice to pursue a more chiseled, defined body type. To each, his own. For me, I want to run fast. To do that, I have to accept that this physique is what is going to be required to do so, and I am at peace with that.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    The other thing is most runners competing an a very high level probably were fairly thin to begin with. They most likely could not change their phsique greatly in either way.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I just wanted to add one thing... The OP mentioned running 2 hours a day to train for a 5k or 10k....He knows nothing about running but he does know other stuff. OP if you run 2 hours a day then your likely training for a much longer race.