AM Workout “VS” PM Workouts

Options

Replies

• tomakehermine
    Options
    depends on the day - tues thursdays are night time spin classes - sunday is am spin class. the rest of the days it all depends on if my roommate and i want to go to the gym together or do our own thang.
  • bigdogc23
    bigdogc23 Posts: 66
    Options
    I prefer the evening workout. I'm not a morning person what so ever. I read recently that people generaly perform better in the evening. something about blood sugar levels.
  • Jennalynna777
    Options
    I prefer AM workouts as it gives me more energy through out the day. I do extreme cardio in the morning for 45 to 75 minutes, but I just can't stop when I get home, I also walk 3 miles every evening, so I work out both AM and PM. I seem to be getting better results that way.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I like to workout in the PM but I have for some reason been awake and gone to the gym in the AM. I have to be at the gym by 4:45am though to get a workout in and get home and shower and kids on bus and go off to work....

I find though that after my PM workouts, I come home and eat and then go to bed a couple hrs later..... when I workout in the mornings I drag my butt all day at work, but, the positive thing is at least my workout is done already for the day....
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have done both AM and Pm workout. I love the mornings because I know that once Im done thats all I have to do for the day and i can relax. But evening workouts I tend to go harder. Even though Im more exhausted I just let all my stress go in that work, and then I think about all the food that I ate :grumble: whether it was healthy or not...I know that in this evening workout, Im about to burn it all off and sleep great:happy:
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    mid-day and pm.

Im a stay at home mom.. my kids are both up at the crack of dawn. I do 30 day shred while they nap. and then after they go to bed and my fiance is home, I go to the gym in our apartment and do another 30 minutes of cardio.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I prefer the morning. It's the only time of the day that I consistently have me time. I'm usually too beat to work out at the end of the day.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Both! In the morning I work out at Curves 3 - 5 times a week & in the evenings I'm doing couch to 5k which is only 3 days a week.
  • KNSmith984
    KNSmith984 Posts: 2
    Options
    i love my AM workouts ... cardio energizes me & after the strength training portion i want to be done for the day, shower & do what i got to do .... my PM workout is zumba twice a week so its always fun but i find it hard to fall asleep later on in the night ... its always a personal prefrence & what fits best into your scedule but i like to wake up & get it out of the way....
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    All depends. I work at the gym I go to so I make myself do ten minutes of cardio for every hour that I work. If my lazy butt finds the energy today I'm going to try to squeeze in a workout during my shift because I have the doctor's at 2 and could be there awhile .. so I'll either go back after my appointment or later in the evening. Generally I prefer morning where I can fit it in, I don't drive otherwise I'd be up super early to come here BEFORE work and then go home to shower so I don't look like a slob. That's the only reason I don't come in and work out before my shift is there is no shower at my gym.
  • quinny929
    quinny929 Posts: 6
    Options
    I prefer to go in the evenings, but when it is still bright out. I'm well-fueled so I push myself farther, but I also kind of zone out. I've found it helps me let go of any work stress before I settle in for the evening.

With that being said, there is nothing I love more than waking up on a weekend morning, heading to the gym, and running while watching episodes of Yard Crashers. nerdy, but true.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    AM because I'm a morning person it gives me a lot of energy during the day it also helps me to make better choices during the day. It makes me feel awesome!! Then maybe just maybe I like to do a pm wo and that'll be extra.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I love how I feel w/ AM workouts for the rest of the day but it's not practical every day so I fit it in when I can. The problem w/ PM workouts at times is that it takes a while for me to wind down to go to sleep at a decent time. Other than that you can achieve your goals w/ AM/midday/PM workouts . . . . as long as you make the time.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Mornings! I wake up with a big surge of energy so find I can go really hard in the AM. Having said that, I can only do dvds in the evening once the kids are in bed so am having to change to get used to PM workouts also. Now I do cardio at the gym in the AM then Shred in the PM. xx
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I make more progress in PM workouts.

AM workouts make me feel better.

I've noticed this too. I'm a morning person so I prefer to just get it over with, but when I am forced to work out in the PM I do tend to push myself a bit more. Wonder why that is?

This is me. I work out longer in the PM and my mind is more clear. Brain is too busy in the AM.
  • Jennas2012
    Jennas2012 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am definitely a pm without! I love my sleep and I'm not trading it for anything since I get so little now. I an not usually in bed till 1130 or so. But I also like that while I do watch my intake during the day if I go slightly over my calorie limit I know I have to burn that off so I work harder or longer to get back under goal. It's working so far I'm down 15 lbs and I gave toned up alot
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    I LUV MY AM WORKOUTS. I JUS STARTED DOIN AM WORKOUTS YESTERDAY. I WZ WRKG OUT @ 10:30 PM. ITZ BETTER 2 ME 2 WRKOUT N THE AM BCZ IM FINISHED WIT DAT FA DA DAY & I CAN JUS FOCUS ON EATIN ALL MY CALS FA DA DAY. IT ALSO IZ NT N MY MIND DAT I HAVE 2 WRK OUT LATER N DA DAY & IT GIVES ME A LOTTA ENERGY

I WZ GOIN 2 BED AROUND 3 OR 4 N DA MRNG JUS A FEW DAYZ AGO & HAD BEEN DOIN IT FOR QUITE SUM TIME @ LEAST 2 TO 3 YRS. SO I DECIDED 2 MAKE A SMALL CHANGE ..... U KNOW JUS BABY STEPS & NOW I GO 2 BED AROUND 1 N DA MRNG. I KNOW ITZ STILL LATE BT GOTTA START SOMEWHERE.

I WZ GETTIN UP @ 12PM & NOW I GET UP @ 9:20 AM EAT HALF A BANANA AROUND 9:40AM & START MY INSANITY WRKOUT @ 10:15 - 10:20AM. I FEEL MUCH BETTER ABT IT MENTALLY PLUS MY BODY FEELS BETTER
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I prefer AM workouts because I'm set for the day, and haven't got to think when I finish work I've got to exercise.

But sometimes the morning can be a struggle especially when we have our friend round usually on a Monday night because he doesn't understand that I have a job to go to and I need to get up and exercise he won't leave until late unless I get really angry because I know i need to go to bed so I tell him to sod off.

So if this happens and I struggle the next day to get up I have to push my self to do it in the evening.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Afternoon for a couple of reasons:

1. I get up at 6AM for work and I can barely do that. No way am I forcing myself to get up earlier..
    2. I can't work out on an empty stomach, which means I would have to get up even earlier in order to eat and let my stomach settle before starting.
    3. Even if I were willing to get up earlier, I live in a second floor apartment and work out at home. I don't think my neighbors would like me much if I were Turbo Fire'ing over their heads at 5AM.

I workout in the afternoon about an hour after I get home. I consider 5-6:30 PM my exercise block (workout start to shower's end) and I don't skip it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I LUV MY AM WORKOUTS. I JUS STARTED DOIN AM WORKOUTS YESTERDAY. I WZ WRKG OUT @ 10:30 PM. ITZ BETTER 2 ME 2 WRKOUT N THE AM BCZ IM FINISHED WIT DAT FA DA DAY & I CAN JUS FOCUS ON EATIN ALL MY CALS FA DA DAY. IT ALSO IZ NT N MY MIND DAT I HAVE 2 WRK OUT LATER N DA DAY & IT GIVES ME A LOTTA ENERGY

I WZ GOIN 2 BED AROUND 3 OR 4 N DA MRNG JUS A FEW DAYZ AGO & HAD BEEN DOIN IT FOR QUITE SUM TIME @ LEAST 2 TO 3 YRS. SO I DECIDED 2 MAKE A SMALL CHANGE ..... U KNOW JUS BABY STEPS & NOW I GO 2 BED AROUND 1 N DA MRNG. I KNOW ITZ STILL LATE BT GOTTA START SOMEWHERE.

I WZ GETTIN UP @ 12PM & NOW I GET UP @ 9:20 AM EAT HALF A BANANA AROUND 9:40AM & START MY INSANITY WRKOUT @ 10:15 - 10:20AM. I FEEL MUCH BETTER ABT IT MENTALLY PLUS MY BODY FEELS BETTER
    Ouch. I have to say: I find your posts very hard to read. I'll likely skip them from now on. You probably don't mind that, but I thought I'd let you know that the text message like style you type in is tough to read. Thanks.