Spagetti Squash?

Options
Ok I dont want to hijack the other thread concerning noodles so I started my own. My wife and me have both had the craving for good ole spagetti with marinara sauce. BUt we have both been sticking to our MFP calories and doing very good. We all know how many colories the pastas have so we need another option. Looked at the noodle pages with low cals and most likly will try them, But another poster mentioned the spagetti squash as a substitute.

SO let me have it, I searched and it seams its easy enough to make, But how is the texture compared to regular spagetti? LOL Could you suck it like a noodle (not saying we would) twist it on a fork etc etc?

Replies

• 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would say yes to both. I started making Spaghetti Squash Primavera once every 1 1/2 weeks b/c we like it so much (and I don';t cook much). My Hubby didn't realize it wasn't pasta until I told him and he commented on how much he liked it. Everyone that I've made it for really liked it too - the best part is it is so easy to make!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My 6'6" 300lb neanderthal truck-driving-grease-monkey husband fell to his knees when I served spaghetti squash... Ive used it in place of pasta, for side dishes, in soups, etc...

I still give him regular pasta when he wants it, but I cannot eat pasta so spaghetti squash is my best friend!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. It really is a great substitute for pasta. One of my favourites is chicken cacciatore and spaghetti squash , yummy!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Yes to both, I think. It is very good and you can definitely twist it on a fork. Didn't try to suck it up like a noodle though.
  • cnnguyen2
    cnnguyen2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Spaghetti Squash until a couple weeks ago. Is it generally available in any grocery store?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash... I really really do. I eat it many different ways, but I would never say that it actually made me think I was eating spaghetti... nope.

It is sweet and not starchy so you don't have that "stickiness" that pasta can get if it sits on top of itself for a few minutes.

I do love it with other veggies mixed in. I also like it fried after it has been cooked in the oven, mixed with mustard and turkey sausage & onions & peppers.

I'm sure I would love it served with tomato sauce as well... I just don't believe I'd be fooled.

Definitely try it!

I have a patch of them growing in my garden right now!!!! Too bad it will be a few weeks yet (many weeks) before they're ready... In the grocery store they are $1.29/pound... which gets pretty pricey. At the farmer's market I can usually get them for $1.50 / each and they're about the same size as the grocery store. Of course, mostly free, from my garden is best (I did have to buy the seeds and do the work.)
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    love it.. just don't overcook it into mush!
    i eat it everyweek.
    if it is my tiny grocery store.. should be in everyone elses!
  • silmeria2
    silmeria2 Posts: 13
    Options
    LOVE it!!! I usually have it with garlic, oven roasted tomatoes, and a little olive oil. Or with apple cheddar meat balls. Sometimes in the grocery store it is called winter squash instead of spaghetti squash.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well, I love spaghetti squash from Ruby Tuesday's. I would love to learn how to make my own. I guess I run it through my pasta maker?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The texture of spaghetti squash isn't just like pasta, but its pleasant and tasty and very good with sauces. Try it! I bet you'll like it much as we do!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I actually just made it the other night and mine was very soft... had no "chew" to it.. but I may have roasted it too long. As far as the swirling on the fork, yeah that's not problem.. but you wouldn't mistake it for real pasta, was good though.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have one sitting on my counter, it's just been waiting for me to pop in the oven...guess I will try it tomorrow!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It is Crazy Delicious, and Too Easy to cook, even for me!! I have even had it just lightly sprayed with Olive Oil and sprinkled with Italian Spice.
    :heart: OP, Please come back and tell us what you think of it!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I've never heard of Spaghetti Squash until a couple weeks ago. Is it generally available in any grocery store?

Yep. And it looks sort of like a bright yellow football.
    Like this:

baked-spaghetti-squash-garlic-butter-4564.jpg

http://steamykitchen.com/11285-baked-spaghetti-squash-with-garlic-and-butter.html

There's more recipes at the bottom of the page.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've never tried spaghetti squash but I love Carba-Nada Fettucini and it's only 140 calories for a very large portion. It's less calories than regular pasta because it has less than half the carbs (nutrition info says half the carbs, but you get a bigger portion with these noodles than regular noodles). It's also high in fiber and protein.

It only comes in Fettucini shaped noodles, but still so good served with spaghetti sauce. I love it! You can get it at The Fresh Market or I'm sure other places. I bought mine online at netrition.com
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    mmmmm....and adding this (and a can of crushed tomatoes to make the skinny taste homemade marinara) to my grocery list :)
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash!! Not the same as pasta--but, it is chewier and it tastes yum good with a low cal sauce. It is a little pricey tho.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had it for dinner tonight! It can be twisted around a fork. It's less starchy like someone mentioned, and has more of a fibrous texture, but if cooked right it's not mushy and goes great with sauces. It's super filling and around 50 cals a cup. My bf is very picky and I was surprised that he liked it.
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love it! But like others have said, it's not like pasta at all. It's just a great substitute you can twirl around the fork! It's much stringier, but really, really great! I cook the squash whole in the oven for an hour (for a big one) or you can easily poke it with a fork to see if it's done. Just cut it in half and use a fork to kind of scrape it out. I like to eat it with just a bit of salt, or marinara. Good luck!
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    I use zucchini peels as my spaghetti substitute. But I'll give squash a go next time :D Do you need to cook the squash or anything? I like zucchini coz i dont need to blanch them. Just peel and put hot sauce on top.