Replies

• blueberry67
    blueberry67 Posts: 44
    Options
    bump
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My kids beg me to make spaghetti squash. They absolutely love it. So, if kids love it, you know it's yummy!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I love spagetti squash

IMG_1614-1.jpg

It is really versatile too....I cut one on half and tossed it on the grill...Served it with some butter and garlic...it was amazing.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm I LOVE spaghetti squash.......I am DEFINITELY growing a bunch in my garden this year.

I have heard others say they've also shredded other squashes ( summer, zucchini) and used it
    as substitutes as well

I have yet to try that, but I will this year.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for later, thanks all
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    We are big spaghetti squash fans in our house, so I concur with all of the above positive comments. You have to make sure you don't over- or under-cook it, though. It's been hit or miss for us. Sometimes it comes out perfect, most times just a little off texture-wise, but it's always tasty and good with marinara sauce. Try it, you'll like it.
  • ckclontz
    ckclontz Posts: 68
    Options
    not my favorite, you so need to try the shirataki noodles, I HATED them at first...someone posted on here about washing them, drying them real good and then dry frying them really good

There is nothing on this earth that makes shirataki noodles edible, no matter how hard I've tried. <blech>

As far as spaghetti squash goes? Adore it! I agree with other posts in that it definitely isn't the pasta you're used to, but give it a try, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. One tip: do not boil it! It will waterlog easily. I slice mine in half and either grill it or nuke it.

If you're looking for some additional pasta options, you can slice up zucchini and/or yellow squash into ribbons (use a mandolin to make it easier) and either sauté or nuke to doneness. I like to mix the three - I take my zucchini and squash and only use the very outside of it, peeling it off with my mandolin on a very thin setting, then saving the rest to throw into soup or stew or whatever. Nuke it on a plate covered with cling wrap until it's the texture you prefer for your pasta (you have to play with it, because it doesn't take long at ALL to soften up, so check after the first minute and then every 30 seconds from there out). I pretty much stick to 60-90 seconds for all of the outside strips from two whole zucchini and two whole squash.

It adds color, flavor, and lots of nutrients to go with the already nutrient-rich spaghetti squash (I must admit I'm sometimes guilty of just using the zucchini/yellow squash without the spaghetti squash), and the skins will give you some of the bite you'd ordinarily get when chewing on pasta. I like my pasta a firm al dente, so I don't cook them nearly as long as hubby does.

I hope you give it all a try. Yumminess will ensue!!!!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love Spaghetti Squash, the only thing I found when I make it and just top it with red sauce, it seems more watery than pasta noodles. But It is delicious! One time though I way way overcooked it and it was no longer noodles, it came out in noodle mash. So I just ate that plain with no sauce and that was delicious also!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's okay. It is not pasta so it won't fool you. I eat it quite a bit now so have gotten used to it. If you want "pasta" look for Al Dente brand and the low carb one is called Carba Nada. It is still the same calories as pasta but high in fiber so the carbs are lower. I really like it. And it is real pasta so yummy.
  • Lorlei25
    Lorlei25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i made this recipe for spaghetti squash and veggie gratin with some grilled chicken last week and it was amazing!
    Here is the link!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-and-vegetable-gratin-10000000520075/
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I prefer it to pasta. I especially like it roasted and then tossed with sauteed basil, garlic, diced tomato and a bit of shredded parmesan cheese on top.
  • poohbear1971
    Options
    bump
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I love:

Spaghetti Squash & Spinach
    2.5 cups cooked spaghetti squash strands (removed with fork; from 1.5lb squash)
    2tsp olive oil
    ½ cup Ricotta cheese
    ½ cup cottage cheese
    10oz spinach
    2Tbsp pine nuts
    Sautee spaghetti squash strands in 2tsp olive oil
    Mix in Ricotta and cottage cheese and 10oz spinach
    Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp pine nuts
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Ok someone asked that I come back and let everyone know what we thought.

First off was cost, at $7.46 for one good sized squash we were a little taken back but did it anyways. This was Cub foods in MN. We will look for another store that has them cheaper in the future.

HOLY TOLEDO! Man, I'm planting a whole field and taking my crop to MN- I could make a small fortune.
    They sell for $2 when they're in season around here.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    never tried it...bump
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is like spaghetti..the pasta at all. It is a veggie and I make it with garlic.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi, Face up or face down on the grill. Wrapped in tin foil? What temp... How long. I am very new using the grill and I am making chicken later on the grill so I would like to do both....

thank you so much!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I love:

Spaghetti Squash & Spinach
    2.5 cups cooked spaghetti squash strands (removed with fork; from 1.5lb squash)
    2tsp olive oil
    ½ cup Ricotta cheese
    ½ cup cottage cheese
    10oz spinach
    2Tbsp pine nuts
    Sautee spaghetti squash strands in 2tsp olive oil
    Mix in Ricotta and cottage cheese and 10oz spinach
    Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp pine nuts
    This sounds great!

We love spaghetti squash. It isn't pasta, so I wouldn't compare it to pasta. It's awesome in its own right though. I'm not crazy about it with marinara sauce - as someone else said, it tends to be more watery that way. I do love it with a little butter, salt & pepper. It's also good with a Laughing Cow Cheese wedge or two stirred in. A new favorite in our house is this recipe:

greenlitebites.com/2012/07/30/spaghetti-squash-tomato-bake/

FYI: The best way we've found to cook it is to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and roast in the oven at 350 for about an hour, cut side up. We've tried it in the microwave and didn't care for the texture. I am intrigued by the posters on this thread that mentioned grilling it. We'll have to try that!
  • katrinesorokin
    Options
    Yes it is! It looks like a big yellow-ish oval