So, now I wonder, where do the truly "skinny" people shop?

Options
kluvit
kluvit Posts: 435 Member
I bought pants last week in the smallest size one of the stores carries, and I'm not even to my goal. When I reach my goal then kick up the strength training, I expect to lose yet another size, since my frame is so small.

So now I wonder, where do the truly "skinny" people shop? Even at my goal, I'll be 10 pounds above the minimum weight range on the BMI calc for my height, so there are plenty of people smaller. I know I'll be able to find work clothes at mall stores, but what about reasonably priced weekend clothes? I'm too curvy for juniors sizes. Any ideas?

Don't mistake my query for whining or complaining...this is the "problem" I've been dreaming of. :love:

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Most women's stores do start at 0.. so you can buy size zero womens clothes.

I wear a 4 and don't have a problem finding clothes.. the only problem I have is that I'm tall and can't find small clothes long enough to fit my body.
  • vsay215
    vsay215 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In the juniors section.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I bought pants last week in the smallest size one of the stores carries, and I'm not even to my goal. When I reach my goal then kick up the strength training, I expect to lose yet another size, since my frame is so small.

So now I wonder, where do the truly "skinny" people shop? Even at my goal, I'll be 10 pounds above the minimum weight range on the BMI calc for my height, so there are plenty of people smaller. I know I'll be able to find work clothes at mall stores, but what about reasonably priced weekend clothes? I'm too curvy for juniors sizes. Any ideas?

Don't mistake my query for whining or complaining...this is the "problem" I've been dreaming of. :love:

Have you tried juniors sizes? I've been an hourglass frame (big breasts, small waist, big hips) since I was about 10 years old and never had trouble finding clothing in junior sizes and stores.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    A lot of stores start at size 0 or 00, I don't know of a store that doesn't carry those sizes.

I wear a 3 or 4, depending on the brand, I have the opposite problem of @dad106 though...I'm short and it's hard to find pants that aren't either too long or too short. I'm just between a "short" and "regular"...too bad they don't make in betweens :sad:
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Limited Too.
  • coliema
    Options
    Limited Too.

I have not heard of that store in forever! I never have shopped there because I was always too old when it was around, and in the mall where I live it's been "Justice" for years.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm short and it's hard to find pants that aren't either too long or too short. I'm just between a "short" and "regular"...too bad they don't make in betweens :sad:

Me, too! I'm technically petite, but my legs are longer than petite sizes, but not long enough for regular. I used to have decent luck with length in jeans at NY&Co., but their clothes have gone seriously downhill the last few years. I usually buy regular and then wear shoes with a good platform.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i dont really understand american sizes. but yeah im skinny and i really do struggle to find clothes in the uk. holister size 0 are quite loose on me. so i tend to shop in the kids section. but even 10lbs heavier or 10lbs lighter i still take the same size clothing, its odd. but yeah im just very little in my frame.
  • kwilso34
    kwilso34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kohls, forever21, guess, pacsun, old navy, the limited
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I shop at the Limited for dress clothes-skirts and tops. Jeans I buy at The Buckle-Silver Brand. I am size 0-2
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, Limited Too. While I'm conflicted by the "truly skinny" thing, I'll comment anyway. I'm a 00-0, and I shop at Gap (though their sizes are a bit inflated now and a 0 is like a 2), Banana Republic, Express (their sizes don't seem to be inflated), and I'll get cheaper clothes in the Juniors section at Kohls or something. Most stores carry small sizes. Even when I get 0's, I still have to get pants altered/have to cuff them.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Don't assume you're too curvy for juniors sizes. Every brand and article of apparel will have a totally different fit. I have dresses by a company called Ya Los Angeles (from my last job) and one of them is a large that's tight while another is a small that's loose. I can wear anything from a 10 to a 16 in jeans right now, too, depending on the cut, material, etc.

Just about EVERYTHING, even boutique clothing, is vanity sized like WHOA these days so try some juniors stuff. They key might be to get separates in different sizes. Like a large top and a medium bottom. Or something along those lines. Hope that helps!

Have fun shopping!
  • coliema
    Options
    I'm short and it's hard to find pants that aren't either too long or too short. I'm just between a "short" and "regular"...too bad they don't make in betweens :sad:

Me, too! I'm technically petite, but my legs are longer than petite sizes, but not long enough for regular. I used to have decent luck with length in jeans at NY&Co., but their clothes have gone seriously downhill the last few years. I usually buy regular and then wear shoes with a good platform.

It's awful isn't it!? I find a pair of jeans that I LOVE the way they look, except they are always either a little too long or a little too short! Never perfect. Now I've come to accept the fact that I'm not too short but not tall either and I'll just deal with the regular jean length and try to shrink them i the wash!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Rue 21
  • McKayMachina
    Options

It's awful isn't it!? I find a pair of jeans that I LOVE the way they look, except they are always either a little too long or a little too short! Never perfect. Now I've come to accept the fact that I'm not too short but not tall either and I'll just deal with the regular jean length and try to shrink them i the wash!

Have you ladies heard of hemming? lol Silly billies. You can do it by hand or have it done for like $5/pair at most dry-cleaners/tailors/uniform shops.
  • rml_16
    Options

I would get them hemmed, but it costs almost as much as I would pay for the jeans to do that. We make do, though. lol
  • rml_16
    Options

Have you ladies heard of hemming? lol Silly billies. You can do it by hand or have it done for like $5/pair at most dry-cleaners/tailors/uniform shops.

I've yet to come across a place that would hem jeans for $5. And doing it myself is very much NOT an option. I have many talents. Sewing is not one of them. :-)
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I've yet to come across a place that would hem jeans for $5. And doing it myself is very much NOT an option. I have many talents. Sewing is not one of them. :-)

Just call around. It's more common than you might think. But even if it's like $8 or $10 it would be worth it, I think. Up to you. :)

The other option for hemming at home is getting one of those handheld sewing machines. I bought mine for like thirty bucks at Walmart. Anyway, sorry for the hemming tangent. ;)
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I am in between too and NY&Co short used to be perfect, but not a fan of the styles now. I have my work pants and jeans hemmed. Weekend pants I usually just save the $5 and wear them a little long. I had back surgery and can only wear tennis shoes now, so heels and platforms aren't an option (which is sad because I have a very extensive and expensive shoe collection wasting away in my closet). Sometimes the Target Petite pants are just the right length.