So, now I wonder, where do the truly "skinny" people shop?

Options

Replies

• kh0215
    kh0215 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Buckle will hem for free.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, Limited Too. While I'm conflicted by the "truly skinny" thing, I'll comment anyway. I'm a 00-0, and I shop at Gap (though their sizes are a bit inflated now and a 0 is like a 2), Banana Republic, Express (their sizes don't seem to be inflated), and I'll get cheaper clothes in the Juniors section at Kohls or something. Most stores carry small sizes. Even when I get 0's, I still have to get pants altered/have to cuff them.

I have to respectfully disagree - I buy 00s at Express, and they are still huge! I have a big problem finding pants that fit. I shop in the kids' section in places but you can't really find professional kids' clothing. LOL

It sucks because I LOVE Victoria's Secret clothing, but their size 0 is REALLY big on me.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I'm short and it's hard to find pants that aren't either too long or too short. I'm just between a "short" and "regular"...too bad they don't make in betweens :sad:

Me, too! I'm technically petite, but my legs are longer than petite sizes, but not long enough for regular. I used to have decent luck with length in jeans at NY&Co., but their clothes have gone seriously downhill the last few years. I usually buy regular and then wear shoes with a good platform.

It's awful isn't it!? I find a pair of jeans that I LOVE the way they look, except they are always either a little too long or a little too short! Never perfect. Now I've come to accept the fact that I'm not too short but not tall either and I'll just deal with the regular jean length and try to shrink them i the wash!

I would get them hemmed, but it costs almost as much as I would pay for the jeans to do that. We make do, though. lol

If you buy jeans from The Buckle, they do alterations for free, I believe.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    I'm short and it's hard to find pants that aren't either too long or too short. I'm just between a "short" and "regular"...too bad they don't make in betweens :sad:

Me, too! I'm technically petite, but my legs are longer than petite sizes, but not long enough for regular. I used to have decent luck with length in jeans at NY&Co., but their clothes have gone seriously downhill the last few years. I usually buy regular and then wear shoes with a good platform.

It's awful isn't it!? I find a pair of jeans that I LOVE the way they look, except they are always either a little too long or a little too short! Never perfect. Now I've come to accept the fact that I'm not too short but not tall either and I'll just deal with the regular jean length and try to shrink them i the wash!

Have you ladies heard of hemming? lol Silly billies. You can do it by hand or have it done for like $5/pair at most dry-cleaners/tailors/uniform shops.

I don't care about length, even though I'm short and often fold up the bottoms, staple them, safety pin them or hem them LOL. What I have the hardest time is finding pants that fit everywhere else - hips, butt, thighs...and THAT is expensive to alter.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I would get them hemmed, but it costs almost as much as I would pay for the jeans to do that. We make do, though. lol

If you buy jeans from The Buckle, they do alterations for free, I believe.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Right now I'm hating my body so much I'm on a shopping hiatus. Plus it's the verge of summer in Florida, so I won't need jeans again until probably October at the earliest!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Idk...I wear double zeros at women's stores like gap...zeros and twos at jr -ish stores like abercrombie...etc...I have 21 1/2 inch (sometimes less)thighs....and know that's not "skinny" I have often wondered the same thing!!
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Come to Europe, especially Italy/France - everything is tiny! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to have the same problem. I'm cheap and broke. I don't want to spend a lot on jeans or shorts. I'm typically in a 2 or 4, and shopping at Kohl's yesterday and couldn't find anything smaller than a 6 in the brands and price range I wanted.

I can sometimes get away with junior's jeans, but not shorts. I have big thighs and a small waist. Shorts that fit my legs are huge in the waist.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

In the juniors section.

Not always true. Juniors clothes are cut for a more straight up and down figure when the sizes get smaller. If you're a smaller size with a shapley figure the pants dont fit well. I usually wear a size 2 or small (I'm pretty short too) but I shop in the womens sections.

I shop in boutiques in the city too. One thing I did notice though is stores like target wont carry small sizes. The lable will say otherwise, but the clothes are huge. I used to like their tshirts okay lol
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question a while ago to my co workers. I ordered scrubs in size small and I am by no means a "small" Im still size 8-10. Where the heck to actually small people get scrubs?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I had to go designer to get a good suit. There is a Banana Republic Factory store near by and the clothes they make are very high quality. I had to get a 2 because the 4's at JCP were too big. I also shop at Maurices and The Limited.
  • rml_16
    Options

In the juniors section.

Not always true. Juniors clothes are cut for a more straight up and down figure when the sizes get smaller. If you're a smaller size with a shapley figure the pants dont fit well. I usually wear a size 2 or small (I'm pretty short too) but I shop in the womens sections.

I shop in boutiques in the city too. One thing I did notice though is stores like target wont carry small sizes. The lable will say otherwise, but the clothes are huge. I used to like their tshirts okay lol

And, again, when I WAS a junior (and a very tiny one, at that), I was VERY CURVY and found clothes in the junior section that fit fine. I was a size 3 back when size 3 was size 3.

She needs to really look, but I bet she'll have success there.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm a 0 in Gap, Old Navy, and Victorias Secret. I wear 0's and 2's in AE, it depends on what kind of cut, and I wear 2's in Abercrombie, & Hollister. I've learned that I absolutely MUST try jeans on before buying them. If I know somewhere is having a huge sale, I'll go and try on a bunch of different styles to see what fits and looks good, and then stock up, but then again, I'll only buy jeans if they're on sale.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    It's in France ! Clothes are incredibly small-fitting there! Heh.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Okay...no one's helping me! LOL

Where can I find nice work pants that fit, when a double 0 in Express is too big and a 0 in Victoria's Secret is too big? There are no dress slacks in children's sections.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

In the juniors section.

And, again, when I WAS a junior (and a very tiny one, at that), I was VERY CURVY and found clothes in the junior section that fit fine. I was a size 3 back when size 3 was size 3.

I didnt try to hard really. I can fit into the clothes, like size 3s, but they're huge in the waist. theres only a 10 inch difference between my hips and waist too so I figured its just juniors clothes as I have better luck in the womens sections. I have a huge butt for my size too so it just looks weird on me lol
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup I totally understand this. I buy 00 at american eagle and they are too big by the end of the day. If the stretch wasnt put in the jeans then they would fit great! I have been wearing a lot of leggings lol =) I did buy some clothes in the girls section the other day lol. Hey they are cheaper too ;)
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My goal size is a 6 but I currently shop at JCrew and Loft. Both are my favs and they have longs and small sizes. Both have great online stores with great selection!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But the other problem with shopping the juniors department is that a lot of the jeans are very trendy, either super skinny or flare or distressed or whiskered or with rhinestones or exaggerated stitching on the pockets.... A basic dark wash straight leg or boot cut is harder to find.

I generally have pretty good luck with Arizona jeans at JCP, but I was much happier shopping there when they had coupons. Granted, about $18 for a pair of jeans is still a good price, but it was a better price when those same jeans were $18 and I had a $10 off a $25 purchase, so I could get two pairs of jeans for $26. Like I said before... I'm really cheap.
  • rml_16
    Options

In the juniors section.

I didnt try to hard really. I can fit into the clothes, like size 3s, but they're huge in the waist. theres only a 10 inch difference between my hips and waist too so I figured its just juniors clothes as I have better luck in the womens sections. I have a huge butt for my size too so it just looks weird on me lol

You need a mid-rise or a low-rise. They sit on the hips so you don't have to worry about the waste.

Lorina -- I have a 17-year-old daughter, so I spend a lot of time in the juniors section of stores. While there certainly are a lot of trendy jeans, they also carry the kind you described. It probably depends on the store, though.