The two month six pack

Options
124»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So this brings up the questino about cardio. I am trying to loose about 2 lbs a week while I buid muscle.

Can't be done.

^ Agreed,

Having 1000 cal/day deficit and trying to build muscle, will not happen. If you are new to strength training or returning from a long lay off you may have some initial gains that will be lost over time if the deficit stays at that level.

If you want to gain lean mass and lose body fat you are going to have to try "body re-composition" which is done mainly through diet and lifting. And yes I think that is too much cardio even with a smaller deficit, as you are using energy that should go to muscle building and repairing for cardio.

Check out this site about body recomp, it talks about a 500 cal/day deficit on non-lifting days and a caloric surplus on lifting days, but for the week has you in a deficit.
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/988_body-recomposition.html
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options

So this brings up the questino about cardio. I am trying to loose about 2 lbs a week while I buid muscle.

Can't be done.

^ Agreed,

Having 1000 cal/day deficit and trying to build muscle, will not happen. If you are new to strength training or returning from a long lay off you may have some initial gains that will be lost over time if the deficit stays at that level.

If you want to gain lean mass and lose body fat you are going to have to try "body re-composition" which is done mainly through diet and lifting. And yes I think that is too much cardio even with a smaller deficit, as you are using energy that should go to muscle building and repairing for cardio.

Check out this site about body recomp, it talks about a 500 cal/day deficit on non-lifting days and a caloric surplus on lifting days, but for the week has you in a deficit.
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/988_body-recomposition.html

Thanks for the article. I appreciate the help. It sounds like I need to concentrate on dropping the weight / body fat before I can really concentrate on gaining lean mass. I know the article says I can do both, but dropping the weight is a little more important at the moment.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    in 2 months i would say this is possible.

but it will involve a strict diet and exercise. No cheat foods/alcohol and some form of cardio everyday, even if its a 20 min walk.

Sorry no Alcohol? I want a six pack, but not that much lol

As for cardio, no problem there, 8 to 10k runs, 3 or four times a week, spinning and cross trainers. other days.

TBH it doesn't sound like you want a six pack much mate LOL :laugh:
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. I'm just creepin this thread because of all the bare chested men's pics. :blushing:

:laugh: :love:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    There can legs too if you like LOL
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You mean your body won't use body fat for energy? I mean, from what I've read that's the definition of fat. Back up energy to use when carbs are unavailable. (I'm being genuine, not sarcastic)

It will use it for survival energy to run day to day life sustaining and other activities (breathing, digestion, hair growth, etc) building lean muscle is not one of them. Usually during a cut you lose muscle, as muscle burns more cals, if your body is in a deficit it will shed muscle to lower its metabolic rate so your deficit will be smaller.

energy from body fat will not be used for muscle growth, the body just doesn't work that way.

But if you continue working out using the same weights, why would your body break down the muscle? My understanding for a cutting phase is you continue doing the same workout, and induce a deficit (either through cardio or through eating). You will lose *some* muscle, but you'll be losing more body fat. If you don't lift the same weights, then you'll lose more muscle than necessary.

Actually pushing yourself by trying to lift heavier if you can, this is quite difficult to increase weights in a deficit due to lower energy available, tells your body it needs the extra muscle you already have.

When cutting it is very important to get enough protein and to lift heavy, and overloading your muscles is telling your body that that muscle is needed and it will be less likely to shed it as the body thinks it will need the muscle. If you are not continually pushing yourself the body will think there is no need for the excess muscle mass.
    No its not difficult to increase weights while eating at a deficit unless you're cutting too fast which is the wrong thing to do. But I do agree, the OP. eat atleast 1 gram of protein for every lb. of bodywieght.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    There can legs too if you like LOL

I like man legs... just sayin'...
  • FlyeredUp
    Options
    Ab's are built in the kitchen. What is your example daily diet?

Hit and miss at the moment. Obviously having a body fat of around 26%(it was near 28/29 4 weeks ago) I am pretty new to this.

Learning slowly about the correct diet as I go. From talking with friends(who are built similar to yourself) they are pointing out what I need to improve on. T

I ain;t a fan of lifting heavy weights, I tend to bulk up very quickly

If you are in a calorie deficit, how do you plan building muscle?
    Newbies can gain muscle while on a defict. But without lifting heavy and cutting as fast as the OP plans on doing he is prety much screwed.
  • FlyeredUp
    Options
    in 2 months i would say this is possible.

but it will involve a strict diet and exercise. No cheat foods/alcohol and some form of cardio everyday, even if its a 20 min walk.

Sorry no Alcohol? I want a six pack, but not that much lol

As for cardio, no problem there, 8 to 10k runs, 3 or four times a week, spinning and cross trainers. other days.

TBH it doesn't sound like you want a six pack much mate LOL :laugh:
    :bigsmile:
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

He has enough body fat right now to compensate for the deficit.

Really?

Carry on, my time is wasted here.
    Agreed, 26% BF or less isnt going to be much help
  • OH_matt
    OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Who needs two months??? I know how to get you a six-pack in 2 seconds :bigsmile:

abhancer.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You mean your body won't use body fat for energy? I mean, from what I've read that's the definition of fat. Back up energy to use when carbs are unavailable. (I'm being genuine, not sarcastic)

It will use it for survival energy to run day to day life sustaining and other activities (breathing, digestion, hair growth, etc) building lean muscle is not one of them. Usually during a cut you lose muscle, as muscle burns more cals, if your body is in a deficit it will shed muscle to lower its metabolic rate so your deficit will be smaller.

energy from body fat will not be used for muscle growth, the body just doesn't work that way.

But if you continue working out using the same weights, why would your body break down the muscle? My understanding for a cutting phase is you continue doing the same workout, and induce a deficit (either through cardio or through eating). You will lose *some* muscle, but you'll be losing more body fat. If you don't lift the same weights, then you'll lose more muscle than necessary.

Actually pushing yourself by trying to lift heavier if you can, this is quite difficult to increase weights in a deficit due to lower energy available, tells your body it needs the extra muscle you already have.

When cutting it is very important to get enough protein and to lift heavy, and overloading your muscles is telling your body that that muscle is needed and it will be less likely to shed it as the body thinks it will need the muscle. If you are not continually pushing yourself the body will think there is no need for the excess muscle mass.
    No its not difficult to increase weights while eating at a deficit unless you're cutting too fast which is the wrong thing to do. But I do agree, the OP. eat atleast 1 gram of protein for every lb. of bodywieght.

It is difficult if you have been working out for years, when you are just starting out or coming back after a layoff you can easily increase the weight in a deficit. But if you are use to lifting, then increase in weight being pushed is very difficult in a deficit.
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

It is difficult if you have been working out for years, when you are just starting out or coming back after a layoff you can easily increase the weight in a deficit. But if you are use to lifting, then increase in weight being pushed is very difficult in a deficit.
    Ok, sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about newbies since the OP is one and you were replying to his post.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. I'm just creepin this thread because of all the bare chested men's pics. :blushing:

I'd post mine, but mine probably aren't the moobs you're looking for. :laugh:
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I havent noticed my stomach go down fast until I changed my diet and made sure I got lots of protein and started doing deadlifts and barbell squats
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Definitely possible - especially for a dude! You have to be commited to cleaning up your diet and staying consistent with your routine, though!
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    15%-abs is extremely hard in 2-3months... 20%+ to abs in 2months.. unrealistic.. sorry man..
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, still learned loads, I'll keep working on it.

Opened my diary for the day so if any of you experts want to give me one or two pointers(I know muffins and wine aren't the way forward).

Exercise wise feel free to ask or advise
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    open now
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Who needs two months??? I know how to get you a six-pack in 2 seconds :bigsmile:

abhancer.jpg

wow, i am so buying this NOW.