Burning lots of calories & cant eat them back!

Options
Hey all... so, first things first... most days I honestly will burn anywhere from 400 calories on a "rest day" (usually I take a nice walk those days), to 3,000... probably around 2,000 calories on average. And before you suggest it, NO working out less is not an option. This is a HUGE stress reliever for me and honestly, I still have TONS of energy to burn after these workouts. Crazy, huh? For more info on these workouts and my current diet per se, check out my latest blog...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lovemissheather/view/30-day-push-my-plan-to-build-a-better-me-251800

Now, I know, I know... "food is fuel". My issue doesn't stem from not wanting to eat... it stems from not having the ABILITY to, as I am full beyond my means after eating about 2,000-2,400 calories of clean foods. I do try to meet (or come close to meeting) my protein goal, as well as my fats and carbs.

I typically eat things such as whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, tuna, salmon, peanut-butter sandwiches, homemade vegetarian "taco salads", triscuits, fruits, veggies, what have you.

the point is, for me to reach eating over 3,000 calories would KILL ME!!!!!

So... question A... how terrible is it (really..) to not get all of these calories in if my body is not craving them?

question B... does any one have any suggestions as to higher calorie foods that are still clean and healthy that I can add into my diet to make this more healthy? I did well for a week or so last week, but I was also eating loads of junk food such as pizza, potato chips, etc. etc. I started a 30 Day Push challenge where I am working out HARD 5-6 days a week, and will continue to do so... I just want to eat CLEAN and HEALTHY at the same time, without "starving" myself... even though I honestly don't feel starving at all... :X

Yeah.. any advice...
It'd be awesome right about now.. :)

Replies

• herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your burn? Do you use a HRM?
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your burn? Do you use a HRM?

I have a Polar chest strap that syncs for my cardio with all of the machines I use, so that is with that. I do have a HRM but it's a POS and is inaccurate. I am saving up to get a polar. The strength training/walking outdoors is through MFP calculations.
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is way way way out. It sometimes gives me double/triple estimates of the treadmill and when I was using a HRM even up to three times of that. So be really cautious of how accurate your burns are.

I think that eating healthily and until you are satisfied is fine.

If you are doing such huge burns (congrats to you for managing it!) make sure you feel well and healthy before every exercise - always rest and make sure you get plenty of sleep!!

Do what feels right for your body - avoid trying to under eat by massive amounts but if YOU feel like you're healthy and your still losing weight at a sensible pace (2 lb a week) then you should be fine.

I wouldn't say eating unhealthy foods is the best way to go forward - a treat is a great thing. Everything in moderation. Eat 'good' carbs, try snack frequently on high calorie foods - nuts, dried fruits etcetc.

:)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calories are being eaten in reasonable proportions (fats, carbs, and proteins) - in other words if you are meeting your carb allotment every day and really short on proteins or fats, focus on foods that provide those. For example, if you're eating half your calories, make sure at least you are eating approximately half your carbs, half your fats, and most importantly half your proteins.

Are you drinking lots of water?

If your diet is in balance and you're hydrated, your body will be more able to tell you what it needs. Then, hunger indicates the actual need for food, and not (for example) a craving for quick pick-me-up sugars because you don't have solid complex carbs, fats, and proteins supporting you, or thirst.

Here are the important factors to determine if you are eating properly, though.

1. Are you losing weight at a reasonable pace (1-2 pounds a week)? If it's a lot faster and sustained over a period of time, it may be unhealthy in the long term. Given that you've lost 21 pounds in somewhere between 2-3 months according to your ticker and sign-up date, I'm thinking you're sustaining a pretty healthy weight loss pace.

2. Are you energetic and do you find that each workout is a slight incremental improvement over the last one? You should be building stamina in cardio workouts, and if you find that you're getting more tired at the end of them, you may either be overdoing it or underfeeding your body. Based on your comments, I don't think you have a problem there. If you can sustain heavy workouts and feel good after them, it's unlikely you are starving yourself.

EDIT: It also could be that MFP and/or the machines you are on are grossly overestimating your calorie burn. In which case, if what you are doing right now is working for you, KEEP DOING IT! It sounds to me, from what little I can determine, that you are doing a great job with energetic workouts and losing weight at a healthy pace. THAT is your guide.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is way way way out. It sometimes gives me double/triple estimates of the treadmill and when I was using a HRM even up to three times of that. So be really cautious of how accurate your burns are.

I've found it to be largely pretty accurate, maybe even under sometimes, but then again I'm 6' 3", 220 pounds, and in my 40s. Hauling this massive carcass around burns a LOT of fuel. I also use the elliptical, for example, specifically as a device to get my heart rate to the very tip-top of the cardio range and keep it there for 45 minutes. So my body is at "max burn" when I'm on the elliptical and I burn a lot at "max burn". MFP frequently underestimates my caloric burn when compared to the machine's calculations and several heart-rate-based calculators I've used online. But for someone who weighs half what I do and/or doesn't use the machine at "max burn" all the time, I could see where it would be WWWWWAAAAYYYY off.

That's the big problem with MFP's calculations of calories - they are based on a specific activity and a time - not taking into account how intensely you are working out, your age, your weight, etc. It's all an estimate anyway, but a heart rate monitor is really the way to go (I'm too cheap for that, and I'm losing weight at a reasonable pace so I figure the calculations are "close enough" for now).
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I usually have this for my mid-morning snack:

2 scoops whey protein powder
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    8 oz 2% milk
    5 ice cubes
    1/2 medium banana

Easily, 600 calories :drinker:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options

I've found it to be largely pretty accurate, maybe even under sometimes, but then again I'm 6' 3", 220 pounds, and in my 40s. Hauling this massive carcass around burns a LOT of fuel. I also use the elliptical, for example, specifically as a device to get my heart rate to the very tip-top of the cardio range and keep it there for 45 minutes. So my body is at "max burn" when I'm on the elliptical and I burn a lot at "max burn". MFP frequently underestimates my caloric burn when compared to the machine's calculations and several heart-rate-based calculators I've used online. But for someone who weighs half what I do and/or doesn't use the machine at "max burn" all the time, I could see where it would be WWWWWAAAAYYYY off.

That's the big problem with MFP's calculations of calories - they are based on a specific activity and a time - not taking into account how intensely you are working out, your age, your weight, etc. It's all an estimate anyway, but a heart rate monitor is really the way to go (I'm too cheap for that, and I'm losing weight at a reasonable pace so I figure the calculations are "close enough" for now).

I have also found MFP to often be low for my cal burn. If I'm sustaining an average of 160 bpm and use an online heart rate calculator it says I'm burning quite a bit more. I think MFP does account for weight. I am in a 30DS group and my burn is significantly lower than others even though many of us are using the same entry from the database in our exercise logs.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    As others have said - nuts are great for high calorie, small package foods. Peanut butter, almond butter, coconut butter, etc are also good (smoothies, etc). Cheese is something else I really like and 1 oz is usually 90-120 calories so you can eat quite a bit if you want to make up a lot of calories. Bananas are high in calories as well and make great smoothie foods.

If you are looking for sweet stuff, chocolatecoveredkatie.com has a lot of good recipes that aren't all low in calories. Dates are another sweet treat but are high in calories.

Finally, as mentioned, if you aren't hungry, and you aren't loosing too much weight, then just eat what you want.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How the hell do you have six hours spare to exercise? (and that's cardio only)

Honestly exercising that much is not healthy. Professional athletes don't exercise that much. Because their bodies are their income and they treat them with care. I don't know how long you've been doing this but when you crash it will be hard. You're also going to have a horrific time maintaining weight when you stop exercising like that.

If you NEED to exercise six hours a day to relieve stress then I suggest seeing a psychologist. That's ED territory right there.
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I wish i had that much time to work out...
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options

That was my thought - do you not work?
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    Basically I'm just going to reiterate what a couple of other posters have said:

Find some calorie dense foods like nut butters or nuts
    Maybe try to add another stress relieving activity to mix in with the exercise because, sure exercise is great for you, but overtraining is not.
    You could definitely hit a wall (speaking from experience)

My story: I skate about 12 hours a week, do intervals on the treadmill 2 days, and lift 3 days. For a while I was eating around 1400 calories and then after a while I had trouble eating 1000 calories. Basically I've learned that when I stop being hungry and food actually seems disgusting to me, I've shut down my metabolism. I now eat 2700 calories (I don't worry about exercise calories now) and I'm losing and I have energy for all of my activity.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

That was my thought - do you not work?

That is nuts! Speaking of nuts, eat more of them.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    But the post to the link to her fitness routine shows she works out at 3 hours, maximum. And at least half an hour of that is stretching. So 2 and a half hours of exercise per day is not a bad thing. Many people on here do that. One and a half hours in the AM and one hour at night. That isnt as bad as you all are making it seem to be.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Honestly exercising that much is not healthy. Professional athletes don't exercise that much. Because their bodies are their income and they treat them with care. I don't know how long you've been doing this but when you crash it will be hard. You're also going to have a horrific time maintaining weight when you stop exercising like that.

If you NEED to exercise six hours a day to relieve stress then I suggest seeing a psychologist. That's ED territory right there.

I agree! You're abusing your body.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You could just try to burn less. :flowerforyou:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, working out less is an option, you just choose to not make it one. Too much exercise can be counter productive and bad for your body, it can also become an addiction.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter. Or butter made from any nut. Almond butter is my favorite. 1 tbs = 100 calories of fat/protein.

Before I go to bed I do a calorie count and see if i'm under. If it's only a couple hundred calories then I'll simply eat a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter.

If I'm 3,000 under...well...I'd make up those too, but over the course of the week.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, working out less is an option, you just choose to not make it one. Too much exercise can be counter productive and bad for your body, it can also become an addiction.

I can't help but agree with this.