Burning lots of calories & cant eat them back!

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You can exercise less, as others have mentioned.

Also, if you are eating nonfat/reduced fat foods you can switch to full fat for the calories.

That's all I've got lol. Good luck!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    How the hell do you have six hours spare to exercise? (and that's cardio only)

Honestly exercising that much is not healthy. Professional athletes don't exercise that much. Because their bodies are their income and they treat them with care. I don't know how long you've been doing this but when you crash it will be hard. You're also going to have a horrific time maintaining weight when you stop exercising like that.

If you NEED to exercise six hours a day to relieve stress then I suggest seeing a psychologist. That's ED territory right there.

If you look at her exercise diary - a lot of the long days of 'working out' she's logging 100+ minutes of cleaning (not just exercising)
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    I would suggest scaling back. Its the only reasonable thing I can think of. I do about 3 hours, and I find that its alot. (the last hr is strength stuff). If you need to be active, maybe you can take up a hobby?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Where did someone get 6 hours? I see around 3 a day in her exercise plan, which is my goal (hard to reach though, I have a job, kid, friends, etc).

I think your estimated calorie burn is WAY too high. In 3 hours or less, that would be ridiculously high intensity to get to 3,000+ calories burned. I ran a 10K in under an hour with my HR between 180-190 most of the time, and I only burned 800 calories. If some of what you are doing is walking/stretching/elliptical, no way is your HR that high. I rode my bike from Houston to Austin the weekend before last for a charity ride, and the first day in 8 hours (with hills, plus into 15-20 mph headwinds, I still burned less than 4,000 calories, and I was working hard the whole time. If you are not hungry, I think that is another good sign your calories burned estimate is too high.

I checked your blog, that sounds like a huge one month commitment. Congrats on wanting to do it, don't let missing some things by a little mess you up. I am going to add you as a friend so I can see your progress, hopefully you will add back. I will be supportive and encouraging and I want to help you if you get discouraged.

If you are not hungry and are eating lots of healthy foods and getting all of the macros that your body needs, why eat more?

Good luck!!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder (I use chocolate) with skim milk will help you get some calories & will of course give you great numbers for protein...You can add anything you like in it as well to add calories like peanut butter....HTH! :)

But - don't MAKE yourself eat if you are not hungry....Just eat every 3 hours or so to keep your metabolism at full speed & that should help you as well....I wish I had the energy that you have - I would love it.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Honestly exercising that much is not healthy. Professional athletes don't exercise that much. Because their bodies are their income and they treat them with care. I don't know how long you've been doing this but when you crash it will be hard. You're also going to have a horrific time maintaining weight when you stop exercising like that.

If you NEED to exercise six hours a day to relieve stress then I suggest seeing a psychologist. That's ED territory right there.

Where does it say she works out six hours in a day? I missed that part
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

If you look at her exercise diary - a lot of the long days of 'working out' she's logging 100+ minutes of cleaning (not just exercising)

yea...that's what I saw..I don't know how they read 6 hours? I read that she even have 30 minutes of her time streteching and doing thing like yoga...Nothing in her workout regimen seems too much to me...if she has the time, energy, and proper diet...I think she is fine.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I looked at your blog - 3 hours in the gym! How do you have time for that. Fair play. I'm lucky to get 30mins in front of my tv with Jillian Michaels :)
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In terms of eating back the calories, you don't need to eat back all of the calories; however, there should definitely be some "eating back." A very simple starting point for you would be making sure that:

1. Calories in are less than calories out ... which is what you are doing and
    2. Consume at least your BMR

A lot of folks talk about the 1,200-calorie threshold, but the more I've been looking into this, the more I've been finding that the 1,200-calorie number misses several things like body size, age, current weight, etc. The BMR, tends to be more tied to the individual, to a greater degree, so it's probably going to be more applicable to any given individual than the 1,200-calorie number that folks toss out there.

I'm one of those folks that eats back almost all of my calories; however, last month, due to surgery issues, I was fairly restricted in my exercise. While I managed to eat below the MFP-recommended calories to lose a pound a week, when I reviewed my diary, I realized that I was consistently also eating below my BMR. In the four previous months, I'd lost 10 lbs. a month or more eating back my calories, but in April when I was eating just under BMR, I only lost 3 lbs. Could be completely coincidental, but I will end up testing the theory in May.

BTW, if you are looking to consume calories without eating a lot, nuts are the way to go. Plenty of protein, plenty of good fats, mono- and poly-, and about 170 calories in just an ounce of things like almonds.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Wow that is quite the impressive calorie burn?!??! How are you doing that? How many hours are you putting in at the gym? what types of cardio exercises are you doing? are you a marathon runner? I'm curious to see your work out routine detailed out....I'll do a 60 minute cardio session and walk for 45 minutes on my lunch and I don't come close to those types of numbers!!!!!

Anywho - if you feel that number accurately reflects your daily exercise - to up your calories for starters I noticed in your diary you are eating a lot of 'fat free', 'lite', 'skinny', low fat foods. I would ditch that and go with full fat, full calorie. Also try to simply increase your portions too. Add Olive oil, nuts and avocados to your diet as well they are packed with calories.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. On the weekends. I can burn 2000 - 5000 calories. I find what works for me is to spread the calories through the week. so somedays I'm eating over my calorie goal and other days I'm under. For example, my BMR is 1596. I try to eat 2100 calories per day regardless of my workout. Then I add snacks like oatmeal and veggies snadwiches only if I'm really hungry. I just listen to my body.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Wow that is quite the impressive calorie burn?!??! How are you doing that? How many hours are you putting in at the gym? what types of cardio exercises are you doing? are you a marathon runner? I'm curious to see your work out routine detailed out....I'll do a 60 minute cardio session and walk for 45 minutes on my lunch and I don't come close to those types of numbers!!!!!

Anywho - if you feel that number accurately reflects your daily exercise - to up your calories for starters I noticed in your diary you are eating a lot of 'fat free', 'lite', 'skinny', low fat foods. I would ditch that and go with full fat, full calorie. Also try to simply increase your portions too. Add Olive oil, nuts and avocados to your diet as well they are packed with calories.

ahhh...did go to OPs blog to see her exercise routine. that's just whack.....2+ hours of what appears to be extreme cardio a day is just plain too much.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    All of this aside what does it matter how she finds the time or if she works or not. She's trying to do the right thing and eat back her calories properly and see to it she does this as healthy as possible. Shes in the gym three hours a day per her diary. Shes trying to eat her exercise calories back so why comment on if she has a life or a job or if shes a full time student. Let's try offering her healthy suggestions on what to eat.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I sometimes burn about 3500 calories a week as well, which does give me some high allowed eating calories. However, I usually keep myself under 2000 (sometimes higher on leg day). Because I have so much fat to burn, I try to keep the deficient where I can without starving either.

When I feel I have not had enough calories, I usually turn to another protein shake or something high in protein like chicken. I sometimes boil a whole bag of chicken (3 pounds) and keep it cold in the fridge for snacking.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with eating less calories if you truly feel fine and energetic. I usually eat mostly organic and I have most of my life, but when it comes to the right amount of calories for either losing fat or remaining fit none of that matters, all that matters is the amount of calories. Weight loss or weight maintenance is all about calories. The rest is a mind game and listing any foods as good, bad, or unclean sets people up for diet failures. Too many calories make you fat. Too little calories hurt you if your body doesn't have fat reserves. Our bodies are designed to fast if we have fat reserves and humans have fasted since the beginning of time. All the estimates are just estimates, you have to fine tune the estimates for you. I don't ever eat back exercise calories, but since I'm maintaining now I will eat a 100-200 more calories on occasion if I'm feeling a little extra hungry. If I don't feel like eating as much another day I don't. It hasn't hurt me yet and I have the energy to workout like an animal so who is to say I'm wrong (for me).
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Three hours at the gym and two hours doing exercise outside the gym is still not healthy. (that's from Tuesday)

I know a lot of people here work out for hours here. It's not needed to lose weight. It's almost counter productive.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I typically do about 2-3 hours of cardio on the days I don't lift, and about an hour or so of cardio on my lift days. I also log my cleaning calories at work (I'm set to sedentary) and walking while I'm there, also. I work full time in a high stress job, and go to school as well. I don't think you looked at my diary and the fact that I do log about 2 hours of cleaning most days. And I log my weight training. The issue for me is having more energy, that I am trying to burn. Hence longer workouts. I don't feel it is a psychological issue.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Three hours at the gym and two hours doing exercise outside the gym is still not healthy. (that's from Tuesday)

I know a lot of people here work out for hours here. It's not needed to lose weight. It's almost counter productive.

Can I ask how? It's not necessarily to lose weight. It's simply because I enjoy it.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    How do you find the time to workout so much?! Especially since you work and go to school too? And clean? I have two kids, stay home and don't work, workout about an hor a day, and I STILL feel like there is not enough time in the day. I want your efficiency and time management. I like working out too now that i started and I would love to do it more and longer.

I wish I had advice for you but I bed you are okay on what you are eating. I am sure you would feel it if you needed more. You simply are an active person, like a person who plays a professional sport. You are not starving yourself. I think you're okay. If you have to add calories maybe protein shakes?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your exercise/cleaning/etc. sounds too extreme. You simply do not need to be burning that many calories, it really isn't good for your body. You're overworking yourself. I would find a hobby if I were you.