Best vacation you ever had?

Options

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The best vacation is a beach vacation. I'm not a tourist. I don't want to sight see. I want to lay on the beach and get drunk. Maybe do a little shopping.

Outside of the U.S., I've been to:

Aruba
    Curacao
    Hawaii (Kauai, Oahu, Maui, the island of HI)
    St. Maarten
    St. Thomas (favorite beach ever = Magen's Bay)
    Puerto Rico
    Jamaica
    Bahamas
    Cayman Islands
    Haiti
    Dominican Republic
    Mexico (a lot)

Edited to add Canada

I've been to Mexico and I'm going back in 9 days. I've also done the Disney thing 2x , Vegas 2x, CA, NC, MA, CO.

How in the world do you all afford to travel to all of these great places? I would think going to Haiti, DR, Cayman Islands, etc is pretty expensive. What would you say is the average cost of these trips?
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just got back from Costa Rica and had an amazing time! So, that one ranks right up there... Others that we've loved are:

Turks & Caicos
    Cancun & Riviera Maya
    Aruba
    Niagara Falls (both Canadian and US)

In the states we've enjoyed:

Gatlinburg, TN
    Disney World, FL
    St. George Island, FL
    Las Vegas, NV
    Colorado (all over)

We are going to be heading to Nevis Island and St. Kitts next April and I'm REALLY wanting to go see Ireland, Australia, etc. I'm not keen on seeing France but most other European countries seem interesting too!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    The best vacations are always in my daydreams.

But the best one that took place in reality was probably bouncing around Europe about a decade ago. Doing the same last year was fun too.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you big travelers. Do you go through an agent for your trips or do you book online through expedia or other sites like that? I know Mexico and the states are pretty simple to book but the other places seem like there is more to it and I'd be nervous that I wouldn't get it booked correctly.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Italy From Venice to Rome and Back
    Costa Rica Twice
    St. Maarten several times
    St KItts
    Barbados
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    St. Thomas
    Antigua
    Tortola
    Virgin Gorda
    Belize
    Cozumel
    Grand Cayman
    Roatan Honduras

Dying to go back to
    Belize, LOVED IT. Food, culture, nature. Plenty to explore and the people are so nice.
    Barbados for the people and food.
    Antigua to buy more Absinthe really cheap, otherwise, It didn't smell very nice, even in the countryside and not as welcoming.
    Costa Rica to Explore more, there is so much there. IF you run out of street signs and seem lost....you are on a volcano..9 times out of 10.
    Italy because well, it's italy!
    Virgin Gorda to explore and relax.
    All in all, I just want to go somewhere, anywhere different.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Belize. So much to do there. I think I could live there!

^^^THIS!!!! I love BELIZE!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you big travelers. Do you go through an agent for your trips or do you book online through expedia or other sites like that? I know Mexico and the states are pretty simple to book but the other places seem like there is more to it and I'd be nervous that I wouldn't get it booked correctly.

Whenever possible I always book independently through the airline, hotel and and car rental websites. Though when I travel on business (which is most of the time now) I usually have to go through an agency but I still tell them exactly what I want. They just make me pay $44 to o something I used to do in 5 minutes.

Although hotels I sometimes don't even book, just find something when I get there.
  • mashallej
    mashallej Posts: 39
    Options
    I think the best vacation I ever had was the 10 year anniversary trip to Italy ( Rome, Florence, Venice) with my husband. He saved for 9 years beginning within 6 months of getting married without telling me and then surprised me with it.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Out of the states I've been to: Jamacia, Mexico, Germany, London, Luxenburg, Netherlands and Belgium

In the states: Minnesota, South Dakota, Florida, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Illinois, All over Wisconsin, Vegas, Arizona, California, Virginia, Ohio.

Where I most want to go.....Hawaii then Italy

Favorite trip, I can't say, they all were good in a different way but I really loved Europe. I want so badly to go back and see/do so much more.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Mexico!

Runner up is Puerto Rico
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I think the best vacation I ever had was the 10 year anniversary trip to Italy ( Rome, Florence, Venice) with my husband. He saved for 9 years beginning within 6 months of getting married without telling me and then surprised me with it.

What a sweet hubby you've got there! :flowerforyou:
  • vanderandkarl
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^aww thats wonderful and romantic x

i have only ever been to ireland or wales so will have to say they are both fantastic places to go.

went to dublin in ireland and had a fantastic girly weekend was wonderful (would go back tomorrow if i could)

and then there is tenby in wales its truely beauiful and i love it go every year and have done since i was 5 (now 33)

i now go with my family and i discover something new every time i go there i just love the beaches x

dont always have to go far to discover pure beauty x
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    although i have been around the world- japan, hong kong, australia, new zealand, hawaii and many other sates, amsterdam, france, italy, israel, greece, and turkey.
    those were all before i was of legal age or before i met my husband. so my best vacation so far would be my 2 week long vacation/honeymoon in guam (where i am from). we were at the beach everyday and got to spend the nights with great friends. it was the best time of my life! i miss my home- i haven't been back in over 3 years! of the places i have been- israel, new zealand, hawaii and greece were the most awesome!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Personally- I love to cruise. Seeing so many beautiful places in one trip- while never having to worry about how you're getting there, where you're going to stay, or re-packing. Plus- the food!!!

Been on cruises through Central America (including Panama Canal)
    Caribbean
    West Caribbean
    Virgin Islands

All were great- and wouldn't have changed a thing.

South America is lovely, too: been to Bolivia twice (I love Santa Cruz!) and did a road trip through Paraguay. Awesome!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Las Vegas. I had a cabana at the pool, a spa day with my mom, a fancy dinner with my husband where we had 4 waiters and the head guy was fluent in 4 languages....and oh yeah...I sat down within 10 minutes of arriving and won 650 bucks!
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I haven't traveled to many places but I love Negril, Jamaica. My husband & I stayed at Couples Swept Away for our honeymoon & it was amazing!!!

This!! Except we love Couples Negril instead of Swept Away.
  • azbutterfly1324
    azbutterfly1324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Cayman Islands has been my all-time favorite. I've been to Jamaica, Cozumel, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Hawaii several times. The place we always return to though is Maui -- mostly because it's a more convenient flight for us!

I want to visit Alaska.....and Europe....and Tahiti!
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    6 weeks in Sri Lanka, travelling round the island... All before we had the children... Absolutely amazing experience :bigsmile:
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Boracay Island, Phillippines - for my brother's wedding, stunning place, great people and food.

Live in MA - vacationed in:
    Alaska
    Orlando, FL
    Hershey, PA
    Bermuda,
    Aruba,
    St. Thomas
    Bahamas
    Tulum, Mexico
    La Romana, DR
    Punta Cana, DR
    Maine, southern seacoast
    Hawaii
    San Francisco
    Jamaica

Coming up:
    St. Maarten
    St. Thomas
    Myrtle Beach
  • November_92
    November_92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I aabsolutely love going to northern Italy...I just feel so alive there. It's always a camping trip and it's great...really looking forward to my next visit...4 weeks *__*