Did anyone else feel stupid?

Options
JOGGING IN PUBLIC?
I'm pretty bad at jogging as I've just started, and I was just wondering if anyone felt embarrassed/stupid when they first started?! I'm a very self conscious person and I felt silly huffing along the road, especially as I could only manage just under 15 minutes :( and my local off road Pathway is pretty flooded so I can't use that ATM so I'm stuck on the roads.

Replies

• larissamilanofitness
    larissamilanofitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to feel self conscious out running too when I very first started. Just remember there are a lot of people out there sitting on the couch while you are out there getting healthy!! Try to focus on the fact that this is for you and no one else!! This beginning phase doesn't last forever and pretty soon you will be flying down those streets!! Good luck with your running :)
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I haven't started yet ... in part because I am embarrased. I (We) have got to overcome this though. I was embarrased when I wanted to join a gym and start exercising last November. I quickly overcame that though and love going to the gym. Nobody pays that much attention to what anyone else is doing. I pay more attention to people's shoes than how they look. :) I know if I start jogging (walk/jog) I will do fine. And yes, I know .... SPANX. :D
  • candyastra
    candyastra Posts: 42
    Options
    I do couch to 5k on my iphone and it's jogging/walking intervals. I live at the edge of town so I just walk outta town instead of in, see wayyy less people that way, lol. But remember, no matter how slowly you go or how stupid you look, you're still lapping every body on the couch! :)
  • SVallatini
    SVallatini Posts: 49
    Options
    Didn't feel stupid until I hit a rough spot on the sidewalk and busted my knees. Thankfully it was early in the morning and no one saw what happened. Now I do all my running on a tread mill!

You should feel proud that you ran for that long. Before too long that time will be easy breasy for you.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere, and yes they all have a struggle at the beginning...also, no one knows that you've only gone 15 minutes except you. 15 minutes is great, don't knock it...Don't worry so much about what others are thinking, they're more than likely all wrapped up in themselves! Keep up the good work and you'll get there.
  • mollymasm
    mollymasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I have a lot of very serious joggers in my area and they made me feel a bit slow haha, but hopefully I will be like them soon! I think it's just because obviously I am not happy with the way I look and I hate the idea of people I know seeing me panting along! I bought a running cd to put on my iPod which seems to help distract me, though.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    work in to it girl..... walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute.... and there is nothing to feel stupid about, you are off your butt doing something for you!
  • JanetRussek
    Options
    Oh ya! And, I couldn't manage to jog enough to really make a difference. I'd heard that power walking was actually better and I tried it. WOW, it works! I cover twice the ground, at least, and get great results. Actually works great at the mall, tee hee.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I haven't started jogging yet. I lost the first 100 pounds going to the gym at 4:30 in the morning though so only a few people could see me wallow on the cardio.
    I imagine that when my knees feels like jogging, I will probably start waking up at 4 again.
  • iuali81
    iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did for a second, and then I got over it. The way I look at it is, at least I'm out trying to do something about my weight/health. I think most people look kind of silly running, so I don't sweat it too much. I bet I really look stupid sometimes b/c if a really good song comes on, I tend to half run/half dance. I can't help it!
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Absolutely, I can just imagine what other people say and think!

Really does not matter though, when all is said and done you are doing this for yourself, not for them! :bigsmile: Besides, imagine what you will look like next year this time, so worth it!

Good luck, carry on with your head held high! :flowerforyou:
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You know what, I still feel self conscious when I go out jogging, BUT I enjoy doing it and I'm more worried about how I feel rather than what others might think... Generally, I feel that other joggers and runners probably have respect for you getting out and doing something, and the peopel that are more likely to judge are the ones who don't do anything!
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I did at first. I felt like eeryone was going tolook at my butt and see it jiggling :embarassed: but I just kept going b/c I'm doing it to be healthy not for anyone to look at me.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    In my experience, only other runners notice runners, and that's just to say a breezy "Hi!" If ever I feel uncomfortable, I'll look at my watch, nod to myself, and use that as a signal to the world that I MEANT to slow down or walk for a bit :tongue:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I look like a *kitten*, but it's for my health so anyone hating on me is a real jerkface. I do get a little creeped out at the guys staring at my bouncy fun bags.

(Edited to note that as you can probably tell from my profile pic, looking like a *kitten* doesn't bother me all that much.)
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and I are occasional runners and when ever we are in the car and she sees someone running she asks me the same question " Do I run like that or do I run as fast as them?" To which I say the same thing... Who cares! What matters is that you are out trying to make yourself better! Anyone who may judge you... I can guarantee you that is the person who sits on the couch!!
  • percycat1
    percycat1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I too am a new jogger. I enjoy running with my training class at a park and don't feel self consious because I am with a group of people. So far, however, my personal running sessions have been either at a park with a trail that doesn't have a lot of visitors or school tracks at night. I think I am getting close to feeling comfortable running around my neighborhood. I know this inhibition is silly, but it is real -- and I totally understand.

Congratulations on running 15 minutes and making postive steps to becoming more fit!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Um...

I run late, late at night. it's dark. People drive by... slow down, turn, drive by again. If I pass someone who's walking they make comments and stare. Apparently NOBODY in my town runs.

And I SUCK at running. I'm going snails pace. Like a crawl with a hop. It's pathetic.

I'm SO embarrassed and I feel like an idiot. So I wear hats to somewhat hide my face and try to stay on streets that are mostly isolated.

But I'm not going to stop just because I feel like an idiot.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You need to cultivate your sense of superiority -- look how great I am - I'm actually exercising. You know, stuff like that!:)
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes wasn't helped when a car full of guys drove past tooting and shouting out of the window at me! But don't let that put you off! Its stupid as there are millions of people who run near me but i always feel embarrassed running the streets. Also if i'm on the treadmill and i know someone has got on a machine behind me i don't like it lol! I saw a mana running last night who looked like his arms were too long for his body.. Just a running stle i guess.. but was a bit funny!