Did anyone else feel stupid?

Options

Replies

• g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This really does work:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I picked up cycling a year ago and yeah it stunk get passed by people on mountain bikes, but now I do 17-20 MPH on my way to work in the morning for 30 minutes...good stuff!

Stick with it and just do it. Everyone has to start somewhere, you might even pick up a running partner.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I feel ridiculous. I have always run flat footed and slow. My aunt used to make fun of me by calling me Fred Flintstone when I run. But this is for me (and my dog) so who cares.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Nah, not with my headphones music and sunglasses. I feel invisible LOL
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No. Half the people I come across are walking. They probably wish they could jog. Just think to yourself that you're making progress, and people can see that you are.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd feel stupid, but then I realized that anyone seeing me would only see me for a few seconds, and if I make enough of an impression that quickly, then that person has some serious issues. :laugh:

I especially thought I'd feel funny if someone saw me STOP running, but again... they only saw me for a few seconds. They have no idea if I just ran one block or ten miles.
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my experience, only other runners notice runners, and that's just to say a breezy "Hi!" If ever I feel uncomfortable, I'll look at my watch, nod to myself, and use that as a signal to the world that I MEANT to slow down or walk for a bit :tongue:

Love your method - very funny.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Try doing it at night. I much prefer this as I hate sunlight/daytime in general. It's cooler outside and there aren't as many people out.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I felt at little bashful at first. In fact, I still have at least a couple weirdos staring or yelling at me just about every time I go. I learned to just ignore that feeling of shyness. After all, I'm the one who's out running, doing something healthy for my body, and they're the jerks staring at a runner. Who's winning here?
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I just started running and was so nervous about running in front of anyone so what I do is walk to the cemetery that is a mile from here, run the cemetery for about a mile (until I can build up to running more) and then walk the mile back. Yeah, it sounds a little morbid or whatever to run at the cemetery but the one here in town has paved roads and is well taken care of. Besides, no one will see me there lol!
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to people's shoes than how they look. :)

I do the same. I look and notice how many Asics, Nikes, Pumas, etc. I see.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Try doing it at night. I much prefer this as I hate sunlight/daytime in general. It's cooler outside and there aren't as many people out.

I second this. :) Unless you're in dangerous neighborhood and DON'T have a vampire for a running partner.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i had a problem with it at first. and that's part of why i don't run in my development, but rather jump in the car and drive to the park. but i'm doing what i do to get healthy, and if someone wants to make fun of that, then i'm not the *kitten*. in a little bit, you won't notice other ppl.

heck, when i'm at the gym, i couldn't tell you the gender or race of the other ppl there. i'm working out, i'm doing my thing, i'm concentrating on form and watching me in the mirror.

and i wholeheartedly reccomend C25K! free to dl, easy to put on the mp3 or iPod, fun way to do intervals.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to people's shoes than how they look. :)

I do the same. I look and notice how many Asics, Nikes, Pumas, etc. I see.

But, I have a shoe issue. (I work at a shoe store part-time to support my "issue".)
  • mollymasm
    mollymasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm loving some of these running anecdotes and they're making me feel better about jogging in public - I too went in the dark haha! When the tracks near me dry up I'll start using them though - I got some running shoes that are apparently good for 'trail running' as well as on hard surfaces :) my goal is to be abl to confidently run 5k by about september - this is achievable if I jog a few times a week, right?
  • mollymasm
    mollymasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also to the people saying they notice people shows - mine are purple with neon orange laces haha! Plus I left on the tags yesterday - so dozy!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I look like a *kitten*, but it's for my health so anyone hating on me is a real jerkface. I do get a little creeped out at the guys staring at my bouncy fun bags.

(Edited to note that as you can probably tell from my profile pic, looking like a *kitten* doesn't bother me all that much.)

:laugh:
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel like a complete idiot. But I am doing it anyway.

I also feel stupid even doing an exercise DVD in front of my husband.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    my goal is to be abl to confidently run 5k by about september - this is achievable if I jog a few times a week, right?

Yes, I started running in January, and I only did it about once or twice a week. Also, I incorporated other exercises like hiking and biking into my routine. I just ran my first entire 5K last weekend. I even surprised myself with my speed. You got this!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I see anyone out jogging and I only ever think "good for them!" and sometimes "damn, I'd love to look like that!"
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly I survived the humiliation of running in public wearing running tights, I'm sure that wasn't a pretty picture, and I got over it very quickly when I realized that runners have become such a commonplace part of the urban landscape that we're practically invisible.