Garbage bag while working out? Is this really bad?

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Makes you sweat, nothing more. In hot weather you increase the risk of dehydration and heat stroke.

I also heard that if you wrap your belly in saran wrap while working out it will shrink your tummy faster. Does that still put you at rise for dehydration and heat stroke? Dying to know! Thanks!

Yes. Don't do it. It will only "shrink" your belly by sweating out all your water. You'll put all the weight back on as soon as you drink some water. It's absolutely pointless and dangerous.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can't even figure out how someone wears a garbage bag...

:huh:
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    If we all agree that sweating more does not help weight loss, can we all agree that that Hot Yoga (Birkim??) is also no more beneficial than regular yoga?

Nah, that is more about warm relaxed muscles releasing toxins through sweat, and you are encouraged to hydrate!!! It's also about the atmosphere.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Shavon- I can't imagine this is good for you. There is, however, a MUCH SAFER alternative called Zaggora Hotpants. They are workout pants that are designed to make you swear a lot in your midriff, thighs, etc by insulating it and keeping it warm and they make you sweat. I'm not 100% sure if this works or how well it works, but its safer than Saran Wrap because it actually lets your skin breathe. I would keep EXTRA hydrated in any case.

What!?? NO!!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If we all agree that sweating more does not help weight loss, can we all agree that that Hot Yoga (Birkim??) is also no more beneficial than regular yoga?

Nah, that is more about warm relaxed muscles releasing toxins through sweat, and you are encouraged to hydrate!!! It's also about the atmosphere.

And the smell
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    I heard that wearing adult diapers wile lifting can help you out too. Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes! You should run to walsmart and buy some today!! Get some Alli, carb blocker, and HCG there too. :wink:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Is the garbage bag empty or full?

Then I guess body odor won't be the problem if the bag is full.

To the OP, it is a dangerous practice. Sweating, and thus evaporation, is the body's natural defense to cool off. You are preventing that from happening with the plastic wear! You continue this practice you will end up in the hospital or worse! It does absolutely NOTHING in weight loss!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I heard that wearing adult diapers wile lifting can help you out too. Does anyone know if this is true?

Only if you have to take a dump and you have limited time between sets.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    And the smell

? sniff sniff hooray?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Garbage bag + fat blocker = epic
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTLEY! I do it all the time - I prefer the Hefty Cinch Sak, but I've learned from experience to at least wear a thong and some self-tanner underneath. Works GREAT. I weighed 340 3 months ago and look at me noW. Just a few trash bags away from my GOAL. Oh .. those nasty hospital bills - those will be paid soon. Not a problem. Oh .. and my mental disorder that has resulted? Barely noticeable. REALLLY. Not a problem. I'm SKINNY and all it took was a box of trash bags from Costco.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    The whole trash bag, plastic sweat suit thing is very dangerous. I personally know from experience that the plastic sweat suit gimmick is just that, a gimmick if you're looking for weight loss. At one time I had one of these sweat suits. I put it on with only my intimate undies (bra and panties). I set out in 90 degree weather on a 2 mile walk. IT TOOK ME DAMN NEAR 2.5 HOURS TO REACH HOME!!! About half way through, I began to feel very sick and dizzy. Sweat was litterally pouring out the sweat suit. Of course the route I took had next to no trees big enough to provide shade. I found one and stood there for approx. 30 minutes waiting for the "OMG, I'm gonna die out here" feeling to ease up a little. Now I know what you're thinking, take off the suit...right. Remember: only my intimate undies are underneath this damn suit. So, after I begin to feel like I'm on death's lawn, not its doorstep anymore, I continue on home, at a new born fawn's pace. I finally get home, strip off the plastic sweat suit, collapse on the living room floor and sleep for 2 hours. My boyfriend coming home and exclaiming "What the hell...what's wrong with you?!" woke me up. :huh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Seriously, there are people out there who need to wear a garbage bag to sweat like crazy? I am absolutely soaked every time I leave the gym. I sure don't need a garbage bag to help me along.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    There is, however, a MUCH SAFER alternative called Zaggora Hotpants. They are workout pants that are designed to make you swear a lot in your midriff, thighs, etc by insulating it and keeping it warm and they make you sweat. I'm not 100% sure if this works or how well it works, but its safer than Saran Wrap because it actually lets your skin breathe. I would keep EXTRA hydrated in any case.
    Dude, you realize that as soon as you hydrate, you regain the water you just lost from sweating, right? All of this crap to make you sweat more is ridiculous and will have no effect on fat loss.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I can't even figure out how someone wears a garbage bag...

:huh:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Trash-Bag-Poncho
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    you would totally be styling though.

59_male_plastic_suit1.jpg

brunoplasticsuit.jpg
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTLEY! I do it all the time - I prefer the Hefty Cinch Sak, but I've learned from experience to at least wear a thong and some self-tanner underneath. Works GREAT. I weighed 340 3 months ago and look at me noW. Just a few trash bags away from my GOAL. Oh .. those nasty hospital bills - those will be paid soon. Not a problem. Oh .. and my mental disorder that has resulted? Barely noticeable. REALLLY. Not a problem. I'm SKINNY and all it took was a box of trash bags from Costco.

How bad is it that it took me until the end to realize you were being sarcastic? Does that reflect on me or the current state of humanity?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I was going to make a comment.....but then I thought about it and decided it wasn't worth a strike.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    lmao