Replies

• _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Damn. Totally bummed out. RIP Junior.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Well, I just look at it where when someone wants to commit suicide, there is usually an underlying cause or issue; whether mental illness, stress...etc. The chances of someone wanting to kill themselves in the same way for the same reason, have the SAME profession, AND want to preserve their brain? Just seems like a lot of things to line up is what I mean.
    Where many players feel that those underlying issues are related to brain trauma caused by the sport, it makes much more sense.

How often do you see people shooting themselves in the chest? It's much less effective and quick than shooting oneself in the head.
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    I just heard he is the 8th player from that charger superbowl team that have passed away. Although I am not a charger fan I always enjoyed watching him play.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Such sad news....he was a great player!!! One of my favs to watch! !!! Prayers going out to his family.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    HOWEVER, as an above poster said, I do feel that it's very selfish. I can't imagine what it feels like to think you have no other way out of your pain, and I can almost see how a person with that much mental struggle would think "they'd be better off without me" but ultimately you leave so many people scarred by suicide that I think it's selfish.
    Selfish?
    1. chiefly concerned with one's own interest, advantage, etc, esp to the total exclusion of the interests of others
    2. relating to or characterized by self-interest
    I don't think every person committing suicide is selfish. Many times, they feel they're doing others a favor (although misguided thinking, perhaps).
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options

Great write up. I love the last line:

And for a lot of Chargers fans, he'll be the best thing that's ever happened to the organization.
    :heart:

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You don't say RIP or feel for those who kill themselves. At least, I don't.
    Why wouldn't you hope everyone who dies would rest in peace? What a horrible, insensitive thing to say.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I have a friend whose husband committed suicide. She was going through breast cancer treatment and had two children under age 12. My daughter's best friend in junior high committed suicide. Both had mental illness.

People discuss suicide from their own, mostly healthy, perspectives. They don't understand that that is not the way that those who commit suicide are thinking. They don't look at things in the same way that the rest of the world does. If he had multiple concussions, it could have either led to symptoms of mental illness or exacerbated an illness that was already present.

Suicide is not selfish. It is the final way to deal with what is overwhelming pain.
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks,
    4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, ethnicity, religions, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.
    2. No Hi-Jacking or Trolling Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

" if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

This thread is about the loss of of a life. Not about whether or not it's right to say "rest in peace". Please be sure to keep your comments in line with the thread.

Thanks for understanding,
    Fish
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i remember watching him when he started with the chargers when i was in high school everybody had to have a seau chargers jersey back then! very sad news i pray that his family finds comfort somehow R.I.P. JUNIOR!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Junior Seau was my inspiration to play football in high school and at the position of linebacker. growing up a Charger fan he was my favorite player when i was a boy and now my hero is gone. he was a LEGEND in San Diego. not only was he a great player, but he did wonderous work in the community. Luckily I was fortunate to meet him once at one of his functions he had at his restaurant..it brought me to tears today when i had heard the news.

RIP #55
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    RIP Junior
    CRAZY!!! The NFL is a cirus!

I always viewed the NFL as more of a cumulonimbus, and the NHL as a cirrus...
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So young. A lot of life left. I don't know him personally but he must have had some serious mental health issues that pushed him over the edge.