Scariest thing a family member ever did

Options
13»

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    my brothers and i dared each other to touch electrified fence... we did like a couple times. the back of my ear started to bleed.
    I didn't get hurt in any other way I don't think, lol
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    My dad is an excellent shot. Any time we got a hornet or yellow jacket in the house, he picked up the pellet gun and started firing. I say started... he usually just had to fire once.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    When I was two weeks old, our families home was hit by a devastating flood. The house washed off the foundation, and only stopped because it got wedged up against a tree across the street. (Let's all sing, "Our House! In the middle of the street! Our House!")

When the family was allowed to return home to survey the damage and start repairs, the foundation/basement was still full of water, even though it should have drained, and my father realized that it was because the water main was still on. So he dove into the basement, full of muddy, disgusting, contaminated flood water, to turn it off.

Dad always did scary things, or had scary things happen to him, like the time just a few weeks after his triple bypass surgery when he was working under a car (a '67 Firebird, which was really low to the ground) when the jack gave out and the car fell on his chest. Being stubborn, he reached out, jacked the car back up, and kept working.

He also had a boat flip on top of him while fishing alone, with the anchor line wrapped around his ankle. He managed to flip it back and climb back in, and row it back to shore, with the boat filled with water.

Your Dad sounds like one awesome dude. Not scary for him, he just dealt with it. Jacking the car back up with it sitting on him, that is priceless!
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Oh, I failed to mention that my Dad was a cop. And he once drove off a bridge by accident. In his patrol car. Right into the water.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My brother and I were scuba diving and he was in charge of navigation (I was in charge of exploration, avoiding barracuda/sharks, etc.). Well he got a "mild" case of vertigo and as its underwater and he cant tell me, I had no idea. We continued on, until it was time to head back. Well we were lost... in the atlantic ocean. So we swam underwater for about 20-30 minutes in the direction as best I thought the boat was... he ran out of air (I only had ~200psi left (<2 min)), so we surfaced. Not a boat in sight. We swam for another 30-45 minutes until another diving boat saw us and let us board. They called our boat, who promptly came to pick us up. But yeah, I wasn't sure we would survive.

Ever since then I do my own navigation as well.

OMGOMGOMG!!!!! This is a re-occurring night mare of mine! I mean, damn, how scary would that be?? Lost, just floating around in the middle of the damn Atlantic! You guys lucked out!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    To go along with the destructive kids thread, how about a scariest thing a family member did (or a friend, what the heck). Has to be someone you know, not someone you've just read about (yea, rules....blah blah blah).

Next?

Raised four sons who are now all in their twenties. So could tell some stories. One that stands out is when one son at about age six convinced his brother age two to get in the dryer for a ride, closed the door and turned it on. Fortunately only for one revolution or so. His response, but I set it on Cool? Well, that didn't happen again.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    lots of silly little things for me and my brother that could have gone badly wrong. Jumping out of upstairs windows, off house roofs/ garage roofs, walking across tiny ledges on rock faces with no protection and steep falls etc.. We had more freedom to wander in those days than my own kids, or most uk kids even, have these days. It was easier to take unsupervised risks but we have lived to tell the tale.

Meanwhile our own son managed to give us and his gran a heart attack when he was about 4. We were all on holiday camping together and had gone to visit the Cheddar Gorge. Some of us went up and down a historic stairway/trek and on return my little one was well ahead. he got to a certain point and then decided to hide from us by climbing over a low wall. Of course we were near enough to see him but had not realised that there was a 50ft drop the other side straight down to the street and he was standing on a very narrow edge. It was the horrifed expressions of his grandparents in the street below that alerted us that there was something wrong. It was so hard trying to keep calm to get to him before he fell. Had he noticed we were worried he may have tried to get back over and fallen!!! He is 19 now and owns a motorbike so I still worry.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    It is very weird to here all the gun stories being from the uk. here only farmers, highly trainned police and drug dealers own them so you don't get many matter of fact tales involving them. Even most crinimals are not yet equiped with real guns (they often have replicas) though that number is growing.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    For my family, It was me. I crashed a motorcycle going nearly 100.

JM
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Obviously I wasn't there to witness it, but I've been told about a lot of dumb *kitten* my dad did when he was a boy. One particularly glorious mishap involved my dad trying to reach a couple of caterpillar chrysalises stuck to the INSIDE of the patio screen door. That they were on the INSIDE is very important. He went and got his bike (he was about 6-7, still had training wheels), parked it on the patio (OUTSIDE), and attempted to stand on the seat to reach the chrysalises. As expected, he falls and busts his head open, and my grandfather put his hand through the glass sliding door in his first attempt to retrieve his idiot son who was now bleeding pretty profusely from the head. Both (obviously) came out OK, got stitched up in the ER and lived to do dumb things another day.

I myself haven't done a whole lot of stupid things...I managed to dislocate my shoulder on one of those bouncy castle things, and didn't get around to calling my mom to let her know I'd gone to the hospital until we were leaving the ER (went to make sure I didn't tear anything). Because I'm not good at keeping my mom from worrying about me, I decided that the best way to tell her I'd hurt myself would be to open the call like this:

Mom: "Hi honey! What's up?"
    Me: "Hi mom! Guess where I'm calling from?"
    Mom: (obviously concerned now) "...Where...are you calling from?"
    Me: "The emergency room. Well, we're leaving now. But still."
    Mom: [expected freakout, along the lines of OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED ARE YOU OK YOU HAVE TWELVE SECONDS TO REASSURE ME BEFORE I JUMP IN THE CAR AND MEET YOU THERE...keep in mind I'm in another city, about a 45-minute drive from her]

I was fine, it was just a sprain. They gave me a scrip for what was basically super-extra-strength Advil and a bill for my shoulder x-ray (which is another story but not one suited to this thread) and told me to go home.