Could PHOTOSHOPPING be creating ED issues with teens?

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you mean making them eat less, no. Too many overweight teens at is it.
    eating disorders can also involve overeating, not just undereating or purging.

Yes, but this topic is about being skinny. The percentage of teens being overweight far out weight those suffering form anorexia.
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily cause a full-on eating disorder. It definitely does perpetuate a culture that holds women and girls to impossible standards of beauty and practically preaches shame as a virtue.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    Personally, I dont think anything like this can "cause" an eating disorder. I think most people with the tendency for disordered eating have always had it, or some other sort of disordered thought. I know for a fact that my ED started with me feeling like I was "too much". Too obnoxious, too opinionated, too fat etc. so that's where mine came from. i could give a flying **** how skinny angelina jolie is

but I digress. I think this violates freedom of speech. they should be allowed to publish whatever the hell they want. nobody HAS to buy seventeen magazine.

You don't have to buy it but they are still bombarded in the supermarket, train station, bus stops ... anywhere you look it's right in your face. And if you turn on the TV ....
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Personally, I dont think anything like this can "cause" an eating disorder. I think most people with the tendency for disordered eating have always had it, or some other sort of disordered thought. I know for a fact that my ED started with me feeling like I was "too much". Too obnoxious, too opinionated, too fat etc. so that's where mine came from. i could give a flying **** how skinny angelina jolie is

but I digress. I think this violates freedom of speech. they should be allowed to publish whatever the hell they want. nobody HAS to buy seventeen magazine.

You don't have to buy it but they are still bombarded in the supermarket, train station, bus stops ... anywhere you look it's right in your face. And if you turn on the TV ....

Yes, I know, but frankly I'm not about to be okay with the government censoring advertisements. Unless it's illegal, they should be allowed to print it.

I dont deny that those ads can cause some envy and maybe a few days of feeling bad, but most of the people I know with an ED and myself will say that it has nothing to do with an ad we saw on the way to work.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Photoshopped model pictures and the like are actually a motivational tool to help people lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. Problem is that most people are uneducated on how to eat right and people just don't know what exactly defines a healthy diet, so they end up creating a makeshifit diet plan.
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    Not an eating disprder per se, i believe them to be far mor mentally complex and other causes/origins are the trigger or root of the problem. However I model and do feel an enormous amount of pressure to be thinner than I am - for some this could lead to issues, for others no, depends on how the person reacts.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Photoshopped model pictures and the like are actually a motivational tool to help people lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle.

29y2wd0.jpg
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Photoshopped model pictures and the like are actually a motivational tool to help people lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle.

29y2wd0.jpg

It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. Women who hire a personal trainer do it because they want to be slim, skinny, and have that beach body they've always wanted. Very few hire one because the doctor tells them too.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options

Yes, I know, but frankly I'm not about to be okay with the government censoring advertisements. Unless it's illegal, they should be allowed to print it.

I dont deny that those ads can cause some envy and maybe a few days of feeling bad, but most of the people I know with an ED and myself will say that it has nothing to do with an ad we saw on the way to work.

I'm not even concerned about it from an ED point of view. I prefer to look at people modestly dressed which is not always the case with such adverts.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

29y2wd0.jpg

It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. Women who hire a personal trainer do it because they want to be slim, skinny, and have that beach body they've always wanted. Very few hire one because the doctor tells them too.

No **** people work out and eat better to look better. But there's a point where unrealistic expectations occur. These celebrities with their personal cooks, dietitians, and personal trainers on staff can't look like that without needing air brushing and photoshop, so why is it okay to convey that young women need to look like that?
  • roachhaley
    Options
    I think one thing that's disturbing is that since most people are being photoshopped thinner, they won't be showing the common visual signs of being very underweight, such as showing ribs and other bones.

Like, they take a healthy looking body and shrink it down to what would be an unhealthy size but without the unhealthy signs.

So I think that is a bit misleading. Like, a girl could get down to the model's measurements but by the time she did she would look a lot more emaciated.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    double post D:
  • carrotstick2012
    Options

29y2wd0.jpg

No **** people work out and eat better to look better. But there's a point where unrealistic expectations occur. These celebrities with their personal cooks, dietitians, and personal trainers on staff can't look like that without needing air brushing and photoshop, so why is it okay to convey that young women need to look like that?

I workout to feel better. When I workout I have more energy and just feel healthier. Sure, I'd like to drop about 10 lb but that will happen in its own time.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think photoshopping is creating a huge gap between real/natural beauty and this ideal beauty. A lot of people don't know what many stars look like without photoshopping and makeup. People have become so disenfranchised with what real bodies look like any more. Chris Rock has the best standup rant about how women are liars, "your hairs not that color, your eyelashes arent that long, your tits arent that big" Its pretty funny. I feel really bad for the next generation of girls, cause you will need fake boobs, lip injections, permanent makeup just to fit in.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In UK, cigarettes show a warning that covers like 40% of the pack about warning signs. In US, its a similar thing but in smaller size.

Why are there no laws saying that the images have been modified. I know that WE know it and a measly warning wouldn't do much but atleast it'll be a start of realizing how serious the problem is becoming (and yes, this IS becoming a problems...)
  • roachhaley
    Options
    In UK, cigarettes show a warning that covers like 40% of the pack about warning signs. In US, its a similar thing but in smaller size.

Why are there no laws saying that the images have been modified. I know that WE know it and a measly warning wouldn't do much but atleast it'll be a start of realizing how serious the problem is becoming (and yes, this IS becoming a problems...)

I agree that there should be some sort of logo or "warning" that the photo has been manipulated. ESPECIALLY in fashion/makeup, because most of the time their editing is so severe that it's pretty much false advertising.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As a 19 years old girl. I know im not exactly a teenager anymore.
    But i do aspire to look like the girls in magazines.
    and i know its not physically possible, but that doesnt stopping me from trying.
    And i know i will never be happy until i look like them.
    Its just kind of the way it is. =/
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    Not causing EDs but definitely encouraging them. Girls and boys look at these skinny and perfect images and think that is how you are meant to look. It must be attractive if the magazines are using them.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As a 19 years old girl. I know im not exactly a teenager anymore.
    But i do aspire to look like the girls in magazines.
    and i know its not physically possible, but that doesnt stopping me from trying.
    And i know i will never be happy until i look like them.
    Its just kind of the way it is. =/

Guess what, sorry to burst your illusion but you likely won't be happy when you get there, especially if "there" is underweight, because you won't be able to see what you've become. Trust me, I'm as thin as many models but I don't see it. Don't tie your happiness to weight, it's a recipe for failure/an eating disorder. Speaking of, many EDs aren't from wanting to *look* a certain way but simply from tying happiness to weight. It becomes more about the number or the control than the appearance, as many people have said.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

29y2wd0.jpg

Miss America would like to have a word with you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7AaVyxcb80