Could PHOTOSHOPPING be creating ED issues with teens?

Options

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I am pro ana. (Pro Anorexia) I look up to it as thisperation. Like one day we can be those girls. They may be photoshopped a little. But there still skinny and one day ill be there.

You're proving our point here unfortunately.
    I hope you get through what you're going through right now and understand that being thin doesn't equate to happiness.
  • SaraBunny518
    Options
    I subscribe to seventeen magazine. Some of their models are bigger girls but most are average size girls. and if they are photoshopped to look like they do then yes it could contribute to that. I know when I had my ED i looked a magazines and wished i looked like them and was never good enough. But in reality I was skinnier then those girls were I just didnt see it.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yes, without a doubt it encourages disordered eating. I suffered for years and as long as there was some alive and thinner out there I was doing the right thing. Surely there is enough natural variety with sizes they don't need to airbrush it down. It's not just that but celebrities too, for most people it's unattainable then you read how they work hard at it and that it's their job to stay thin but not everyone takes it on board that when they say that they do mean that they exercise as part of their job and that they do sometimes do it for hours, have personal trainers, cooks providing their meals. Come in to the real world where you work full time and an hour a day is impressive but doesn't seem enough compared to what you read about in the magazines. Weight loss celebrities are the biggest seller with magazines, it seems to rotate from week to week, "oh no they're too skinny" as someone that has suffered I would have taken that as a compliment not something to care about, then the next week some celebs are celebrating their "curves" - usually half of these celebrities are too skinny by the next week!
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    I am pro ana. (Pro Anorexia) I look up to it as thisperation. Like one day we can be those girls. They may be photoshopped a little. But there still skinny and one day ill be there.
    No.
    No stop.
    Please be trolling, this cannot still be something that happens, there can't still be people who honestly believe that an eating disorder is a fun little lifestyle change. You must be joking.
    tumblr_m30hu3gngo1qirpva.gif
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    As a 19 years old girl. I know im not exactly a teenager anymore.
    But i do aspire to look like the girls in magazines.
    and i know its not physically possible, but that doesnt stopping me from trying.
    And i know i will never be happy until i look like them.
    Its just kind of the way it is. =/

TY, someone who wants to admit that Photoshopped pictures are a motivational tool for losing weight, being slim, and having a beach body. Some people are trying to tell you not to go for your goal and I'll just say, don't let the negative words get to you. If you really want a body like girls in model magazines, then you need to exercise just as hard as them with the right diet. I've met a Miss America pageant girl and she told me that s he jogs 4 miles a day as a warmup before hitting the weights with her personal trainer. I didn't ask her what her diet was, just her workout routine. I'm not advocating for you to starve yourself which I bet some people here think i might be doing. I just said to exercise as hard as one.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I think this is a worrying example, a young girl here wants a disease, they want something that a lot of people fight with that they don't want, something that ruins their health, takes away all their energy and drive and here a girl is saying seeing these pictures encourages her to strive for an illness. I can't stand when kids say there are pro-anorexia, I mean would the kids that are forever striving for the perfect tans and don't care about protecting themselves when out in the sun say they are pro-skin cancer? Anorexia is not glamorous.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    1fwnly.jpg

This is what "ana" really looks like. Muscle depleted. Body turned into a frail husk because of lack of energy from food. Constant illness. And eventual death. There is nothing here to glorify.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You dont want anorexia. You may want skinny, you don't want anorexia. Two different things.

You don't want food consuming your life. You dont want your day to depend on how much you eat. There have been, and still are lots of times where my self worth is directly related to the number of calories I've consumed. And I consider myself a "mild" case.

I know girls who dont eat and exercise off 1000+ calorie a day every day. I have a friend who is 75 pounds right now and just started another fast (her fasts are usually 15+ days). And you know what? She still thinks she's fat. She still thinks she looks like a whale.

So no, you dont "want" anorexia. And no, you aren't "pro-ana". So shut the hell up, please. You want to be skinny, and that's fine, but you dont WANT to be anorexic.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    You dont want anorexia. You may want skinny, you don't want anorexia. Two different things.

You don't want food consuming your life. You dont want your day to depend on how much you eat. There have been, and still are lots of times where my self worth is directly related to the number of calories I've consumed. And I consider myself a "mild" case.

I know girls who dont eat and exercise off 1000+ calorie a day every day. I have a friend who is 75 pounds right now and just started another fast (her fasts are usually 15+ days). And you know what? She still thinks she's fat. She still thinks she looks like a whale.

So no, you dont "want" anorexia. And no, you aren't "pro-ana". So shut the hell up, please. You want to be skinny, and that's fine, but you dont WANT to be anorexic.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think the media has gone totally nuts with the how much pictures are photoshopped, and how XX celebrity has lost 5 pounds in 2 days etc.

If even models / actresses etc who are supposedly beautiful need to be photoshopped to death, then what hope is there for the normal people??? It gives the impression that its possible to be like that if you follow the 'so called diet' that these airbrushed people eat, nobody seems to understand that what they are aiming to look like actually doesnt exist.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    I think the media has gone totally nuts with the how much pictures are photoshopped, and how XX celebrity has lost 5 pounds in 2 days etc.

If even models / actresses etc who are supposedly beautiful need to be photoshopped to death, then what hope is there for the normal people??? It gives the impression that its possible to be like that if you follow the 'so called diet' that these airbrushed people eat, nobody seems to understand that what they are aiming to look like actually doesnt exist.

There are tons of pictures out there of celebrities not wearing any makeup and 99% of the time they look like average women. I don't think being a celebrity is so much about looks as it is talent/luck/connections with the industry. You can hire someone to make you pretty if you have the money or the connections.

Unless you're talking about models or socialites, then yeah, that's mostly looks. But even they have dark circles and cellulite.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Silly me. I stumbled in here to see how in the hell photo-shopped images in fashion magazines could be creating Erectile Dysfunction issues with teens. I would think it would be just the opposite.

More sincerely, I believe that, specifically, any advertisement for product used to obtain "health and beauty" objectives which uses air-brushing and/or photo-shopping should be prohibited from doing so as it would be deemed false advertising.

Perhaps that is one aspect of it that can help make media more "honest."
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I grew up just fine with photoshopped models on magazines and tv.

In fact, I can guarantee that girls are saying that they are "influenced" because they are told they are. I went through a course in school which talked about propagandas and advertising in the media. School made me aware of media and I didn't grow up with any sort of eating disorder as a female teen.

Confidence in their beauty is very important... its not just to be blamed on magazines and models.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Silly me. I stumbled in here to see how in the hell photo-shopped images in fashion magazines could be creating Erectile Dysfunction issues with teens. I would think it would be just the opposite.

More sincerely, I believe that, specifically, any advertisement for product used to obtain "health and beauty" objectives which uses air-brushing and/or photo-shopping should be prohibited from doing so as it would be deemed false advertising.

Perhaps that is one aspect of it that can help make media more "honest."

LMAO!!! But no, it doesn't cause it. My little sisters know better too. Maybe it's cuz hispanic men like a lil junk in the trunk they say. They don't want to be deadly skinny. Go figure.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

In fact, I can guarantee that girls are saying that they are "influenced" because they are told they are. I went through a course in school which talked about propagandas and advertising in the media. School made me aware of media and I didn't grow up with any sort of eating disorder as a female teen.

Confidence in their beauty is very important... its not just to be blamed on magazines and models.
    Oh, because you personally did not develop an eating disorder, that makes it fine for everyone? Get over yourself. You are ONE person, and you don't represent the population as a whole.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Oh, because you personally did not develop an eating disorder, that makes it fine for everyone? Get over yourself. You are ONE person, and you don't represent the population as a whole.

Oh snap...here we go! :drinker:
  • roachhaley
    Options

Ok, I gotta ask... why is ALL you do go around starting arguments with people? Seriously, it's getting old.
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    IMO, it can cause an uneducated teen or pre-teen girl to eat much less than needed because she is afraid to get "fat" but more importantly why I personally am glad the magazines etc are under scrutiny is because it ruins what "pretty" is. It makes a beautiful young girl think that because she doesn't have flawless skin or big boobs that she isn't pretty then she grows up insecure.

This may be silly but if at some point my daughter talks to me about girls in magazines and what not, I plan to google as many "not photoshopped" pictures of celebrities i can to prove to her she is beautiful just the way she is.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have you forgotten Octomom and her Angela Jolie face changes?
    No. EDs, funnily enough, aren't actually ABOUT "thinness"/vanity. Nobody develops a debilitating mental illness that makes them want to look JUST LIKE Angelina Jolie. Starving yourself and damaging your body are signs of deep-rooted self-hared, and I think doing it through food stems from a culture where thinness is fetishised. So, yes, airbrushing creates the CONTEXT/MEANS of self-destruction/illness, but it's not the CAUSE.

But I agree with the above poster. There are far too many overweight children - and if kids wanted to see something "ordinary", they could just go to school every day! Magazines should show beautiful pictures to give people something aesthetically pleasing and to aspire to. I agree that changing skin tones is wrong because it's inherently racist, and photoshopping models even thinner might not always be necessary, but little touch-ups aren't going to kill anyone. It's like having obese/very, very overweight models in magazines - it subliminally sends out the message that being that unhealthily overweight is "okay" and "aspirational".

I'd like to see more women of a healthy (eg. UK size 6-14) range in magazines, though, agreed.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    it certainly did for my best friend, who died last year from anorexia nervosa.

I am so sorry! I do believe as well that it creates self acceptance issues. What is defined as "perfect" compared to what we are in reality.