Intermittent fasting?

Options
124»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I didn't comment on it being a calorie deficit or eating style really. What is it with you guys, every I post you seem to pick apart. Having fun?

Matt you said this

My ex did and lost a pot load of weight.

It sounds like you're giving credit to IF for weight loss. I do a 4-5hr eating window, sometimes 6. Lately been doing 6 due to the post workout ordeal. I had to spread out my window so I can eat more. I was at 2,700 calories for a month, not weight loss... My TDEE is about 3,500-3,700 now with exercise. I am up to 3,000 calories now, the lower number of 2,700 didn't produce weight loss results for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is, "not eating enough can be an issue on IF. Which will blunt results. " You're making it sound like she had a big deficit and lost a lot of weight.

...what?

What does his comment have to do with the difficulty of getting adequate nutrition in for someone with high caloric demands?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What does his comment have to do with the difficulty of getting adequate nutrition in for someone with high caloric demands?

The more food you have to stuff down your face, within a limited amount of time... the more difficult it is.

What has that got to do with my comment?!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    When you talk intermittent fasting, or fasting for 24 hours is that completely with no water even? Or is it just 24 hours of nothing but water? Thanks

Water, tea, coffee (only a splash of dairy). Some people have artificially sweetened beverages. I stick to the first group of beverages, although I have more than a splash of dairy. I've been using the "Window" method, and I only fast for 14 hours at a time so far.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    When you talk intermittent fasting, or fasting for 24 hours is that completely with no water even? Or is it just 24 hours of nothing but water? Thanks

There are various types of Intermittent Fasting. Some have a long fast period with a small eating window each day where you consume all your calories. Others are 24 hours with non-caloric drinks (water, black tea or coffee) ended with a normal meal which are down 1 or 2 times a week. This second one is what I do. I eat my supper, then don't eat anything until that time the next day when I have another normal supper. I use this primarily to establish my weekly calorie deficit, and it works well for me.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16/8s for the past week and I love it. Admittedly, I do put a bit of cream in my coffee and have a few strawberries for breakfast, but I keep it under 100 cals total and am reducing that.

My workouts feel better when I'm hungry, and then I get to eat two giant meals at lunch and dinner. I sometimes have to force myself to get enough calories in within the eight hours and I never go to bed hungry. Plus, breakfast was always a carb-fest for me, and not eating breakfast has eliminated that problem.

Plus, when I'm fasting there is ZERO debate in my head over whether to have a donut when someone brings them to work. It's a non-issue.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    is Pu being annoying again?

Not as annoying as someone who's always trolling my comments.

Hug it out, you guys.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

The more food you have to stuff down your face, within a limited amount of time... the more difficult it is.

What has that got to do with my comment?!

"My ex did IF and lost a lot of weight." you're implying that IF will result in weight loss.

She used it for weight loss?

You can use it for both however. I'm not so sure if you can heavily bulk on it. I wasn't implying anything else. NOR have I said.

I honestly can't believe you. You stalk picking my posts apart by not understanding what I was posting and simply assumed and then accuse me of trolling. WTF!
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to, though?

If you are fasting, it tells your body to hold onto your fat because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming. Then you eat again and your body is like "HOLY ****, FOOD!" and then it holds onto that.......plus if you're working out, your body needs FUEL.

I just don't get the idea behind it. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Bullsh*t
  • broadway_Calls
    broadway_Calls Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done this every time I want to lose weight without even knowing it's a recognised concept/diet method!
    I find the only way I can really lose weight is eating 'breakfast' (about 200kcal) around 1-2pm, a couple of fruit/veg snacks a couple hours later and then regular dinner at about 7. It's always worked for me and these days I'm never hungry until that time anyway.
    As others have said though it's not good if you binge easily, I've had a few lapses as I do get pretty starving by the time it comes to 7pm!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I do not do it as part of any training regime,
    but thru work and other reasons I will not mention, I often did a day (24 hours without food),
    It did me no harm apart from being very grumpy,,,
    I did drink a lot of coffee though.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

She used it for weight loss?

You can use it for both however. I'm not so sure if you can heavily bulk on it. I wasn't implying anything else. NOR have I said.

I honestly can't believe you. You stalk picking my posts apart by not understanding what I was posting and simply assumed and then accuse me of trolling. WTF!

WHAT, you're twisting everything i am saying, I just asked for clarify. You are no Mike Mentzer, so wtf? CKD FOR LIFE!

Are you genuinely serious here?

I'm not anything mate, I'm no Mentzer, no guru, no nothing. I genuinely have no grief against you, no problem, no nothing. I thin there has been a gross misunderstanding here.

Lets let this drop - I think you think I was attacking you and me think you were attacking me, and we've both got the wrong end of the stick. Peace buddy! :bigsmile:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I am on a 24 hour fast today!

I just wanted to prove to myself that I am in control of my food, so I've done it for purely emotional reasons.

The past few weeks I have felt completely out of control and have been comfort bingeing. Tonight I feel alive and like I can conquor anything!

Same here. Felt like the most of the month, last month. I had a lot of personal issues come up in addition to my birthday on the 1st so I felt that way up until the beginning of the month! Thanks for posting, I feel like fasting now, haha.