Left the U.S. for a foreign country?

Options
sktllmdrhmz
sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
Where'd you go? Why? How'd you find work? What went down?

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I left a foreign country for the U.S.
    Does that count? :smile:
  • sktllmdrhmz
    Options
    Definitely. What's the story?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    If I ever did... and something huge would have to happen here... I think I would go to either the Netherlands, England, Germany, or Sweden... 1) because they are essentially my "motherland" (though my ancestors came here back around the civil war), 2) because I just love those countries and 3) while their taxes may be atrocious, they value personal freedoms and rights.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Me too.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If I ever did... and something huge would have to happen here... I think I would go to either the Netherlands, England, Germany, or Sweden... 1) because they are essentially my "motherland" (though my ancestors came here back around the civil war), 2) because I just love those countries and 3) while their taxes may be atrocious, they value personal freedoms and rights.

^^^^This. for reason #3. I also love Switzerland. It is so beautiful up in the Alps. I'd live in a little village with no cars...
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I lived in South Korea for a year of my undergraduate, and if i got a chance again, i would leave Canada to go live there in a heartbeat.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm from Florida, living in Tanzania. It's pretty cool here. Except when it's hot, and then I miss air conditioning.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    Options
    I'm from Florida, living in Tanzania. It's pretty cool here. Except when it's hot, and then I miss air conditioning.

Why Tanzania? How'd you find a job?
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    My husband works in IT. He got a job as a contractor in Germany and we lived there for 1/12 years. I know people who have been doing that for over a decade. We'd do it again in a heart beat.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My job may move me to Spain after I finish my degree.

I think most ex-pats end up moving for work.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Actually, it was chosen for me. I'm in the Peace Corps, but I love TZ, and may get another job here when I finish PC. There are tons of organizations here that hire ex-pats.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Me too.

Me Three.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    I left to be with my husband in England. I had my beautiful daughter over there. Loved it, but we left and came back to NY which I love too.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Im huge in japan
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I left Africa to live in the US when I was 12 and HATED leaving Africa...but I left the US,too for England and although I went back to the states for college, I don't know what my dad was thinking of uprooting us from california for England.

If I had a choice, I'd still be in Kenya.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options

traitor :wink:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Actually, it was chosen for me. I'm in the Peace Corps, but I love TZ, and may get another job here when I finish PC. There are tons of organizations here that hire ex-pats.

I'm a PCV too! Living in Romania right now and no strong desires to return home yet.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Temporarily it's great. I went to Scotland and Poland for a year each and am contemplating a few others. Permanently I'll stay here but it's an amazing experience no matter where you go.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I wish. My dream is to move to the Netherlands or one of the Nordic countries...but they'd never let me in to stay.