Left the U.S. for a foreign country?

Options

Replies

• dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    I'm still waiting for Alec Baldwin to leave...wasn't that supposed to happen long ago?

bravo my friend, bravo. There are quite a few others who claimed they would leave, yet didnt. Can we ask the Dixie CHicks to finally move to?
    Roger that!
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm also the reverse...left Canada (does that count as foreign?) for the US. And, yes, my husband had a job already lined up. I'm a dependent on his work visa so I can't work...I mean, other then raising our 4 kids. We like it here but would return back home (Vancouver) in a heartbeat if we could afford it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Where'd you go?
    Canada
    Why?
    My husband and I got tired of being married and forced to live apart because of the U.S. government.
    How'd you find work?
    I haven't. I'm attempting to get a book published with self-publishing.
    What went down?
    Hubby tried to get his U.S. residency, but they claimed our home address was somewhere to which they couldn't send mail. When he essentially got deported, we waited 2 years, then I moved up to Canada and after 5 years, I got my residency.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    notice how most of the posters came to the US? Thats because we are the best.

nope :laugh:
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Ahhh, now I see where I'm going wrong!

Does anyone want my Bugatti Veyron?
    More people buy Toyota Corollas, so they are clearly better!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

All said at the end of the ledger, nothing beats America.

We are the only country with true freedom (and even thats being chipped away at now, but still...)

Which is why I haven't left yet... however, I'm a firm believer of back up plans... :tongue:
  • loseweightjames
    Options

and see... that's kinda the funny thing, because the media seems to say we're not the best, that a lot of the other countries are better, especially European and Canada. Or maybe that's just me? Does anyone else get the sense that the US media is trying to convince us that other countries are better to live in?
  • momma2Lulu
    momma2Lulu Posts: 74
    Options
    yes my husband is U.S military and we were stationed in Japan for over 3 years, he stayed a full 4. I brought Lulu back to WA after the earthquake to be safe, she was only 6 months old. we signed up for 3 years and at the 2 year mark i told him i wasn't ready to say goodbye and that i wanted to say so we extended for a year. i didn't find a job right away, i didn't look for one either. after a year of just soaking up the culture i decided it was time to have a little more structure in my life. I was offered a teaching job through a friend and began teaching twice a month, it was a group of Japanese senior citizens who wanted to learn English. i loved my job and the new friends i made. I've missed them ever since returning to the states. it didn't offer much structure so i ended up volunteering on base. I never had the nerve to pursue modeling but that was supposed to be an easy gig for an American to get. there was so much to love about being there, ultimately i missed my family and my home. There were many times when i would just want to go home because i was so tired of not belonging, English was not the first language and i didn't meet a lot of people who grew up the way i did not even the other wives in the area. i wanted the familiar many times but i'm grateful for the time spent there. i grew as a person more then i expected to and it will always occupy a small place in my heart.

also if it hadn't been for the earthquake and all of the reports of radiation and so much being unknown about that, or being released to the public about that then i would have loved to stay or return at some point. there is talk that when my little girl is 18 years old we might return to climb Mt Fuji as its on the list of things i wanted to do but never did....
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Moving to UK next year to be with my husband (U.S. Military). No job lined up as of yet, but I will be looking starting next winter.
  • dilleight
    dilleight Posts: 50
    Options
    This thread is confused, the US IS a foreign country.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options

and see... that's kinda the funny thing, because the media seems to say we're not the best, that a lot of the other countries are better, especially European and Canada. Or maybe that's just me? Does anyone else get the sense that the US media is trying to convince us that other countries are better to live in?

funny thing is ... they may be right? How about that?

But seriously, you've got to look at what they are talking about. I am sure there are plenty of countries who have the US beat in specific areas, just as the US has plenty of other countries but in other areas.

People seem to forget that logic and pride are different things. Open mindedness is also not a bad thing.

Not until you have actually lived (not vacationed) in another country can you truly make comparisons or judge.

Just because some things are better somewhere else, shouldn't make people feel defensive instead it should be a challenge to either make what we have here better or not let it get to were it may be in other countries (and that is something we will most likely not agree on, I understand that).
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i studied abroad in China, and while I'd never move there it did make me realize i love leaving the U.S.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

funny thing is ... they may be right? How about that?

But seriously, you've got to look at what they are talking about. I am sure there are plenty of countries who have the US beat in specific areas, just as the US has plenty of other countries but in other areas.

People seem to forget that logic and pride are different things. Open mindedness is also not a bad thing.

Not until you have actually lived (not vacationed) in another country can you truly make comparisons or judge.

Just because some things are better somewhere else, shouldn't make people feel defensive instead it should be a challenge to either make what we have here better or not let it get to were it may be in other countries (and that is something we will most likely not agree on, I understand that).

well, not according to the majority of the replies on here. I mean, I know it's not the most scientific survey, but a lot of people replying have been saying they left their country to come to the US and they're happier in the US
  • mrswright71
    mrswright71 Posts: 37
    Options
    Well, you never stated that you're asking about people who moved *permanently*, so I will tell you that I moved to China for a year. I was hired to teach English. I absolutely loved it - I would not want to live there for the rest of my life, but it was before I met my husband and I keep telling him I want to take him to visit someday. :)
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would move to denmark and work in the red light district. I would then after years of trials and tribulations write a book about being a call girl, make millions, then reside in the turks and caicos

aww don't move to denmark for that reason, you'd be disappointed 'cause we don't have a red light district .. you mean amsterdam in the netherlands. (:

oh & to answer the guy who asked .. you can get a working holiday visa to a lot of countries these days.. some programs even set you up with a job before you leave so you're all set .. you can also travel to loads of countries to teach english & you get hooked up with a job there as well.
    personally i've worked in egypt & greece as a travel rep so if you're interested in that .. it's a pretty decent way to experience countries in a non-touristic way although the pay is like .. well nothing ahah. (: so you definitely need to be in it for the experience or you'll not enjoy it.
    these jobs are for funcies though, not really sure if you just wanna do a bit of traveling or settle down in a country permanently in which case my suggestions probably aren't that clever, sorry!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would move to Germany or Sweden.

They both have universal healthcare, which is awesome because right now I have none. You pay nothing for education and Swedish Fish. Need I say more?

Yes? Ok. Oktoberfest. Swedish Metal bands. Wacken Open Air. Unemployment benefits. Paternity leave. ABBA. Sausage. Legalized prostitution. Generally more accepting of gay marriage. Get paid twice as much to be a teacher. Get money for having kids regardless of income. Awesome languages. Beautiful scenery. Ikea. Swedish Fish (again).
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I left the USA and moved to Mississippi... Does that count? Seriously though, after my parents pass it is very likely I will move overseas. I would spend a year traveling Eastern Europe and find a place I really like with things nearby that I like to do. I would not rule out Central America either.

just spent 10 days in the most modern city in Central America....let me rule it out for you lol.

Really? You vacationed for 10 days and you are an expert? There are open-minded folks who can live anywhere. It sounds like the OP is one of them. If you can't help him with his particular question, perhaps you should consider not contributing to the post.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Learning about political systems in other countries made me think that they were better to live in.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I lived in:

Australia: dad was in navy
    Bahrain: dad was in navy
    Qatar: I was a contractor with ITT systems division on the Army base. I had my son there and it's probably one of my favorite places. It's where I feel most at home.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I left the USA and moved to Mississippi... Does that count? Seriously though, after my parents pass it is very likely I will move overseas. I would spend a year traveling Eastern Europe and find a place I really like with things nearby that I like to do. I would not rule out Central America either.

Haha I've lived in Mississppi off and on since I was 9 and my parents are both fom there. Totally get this.