Should I eat less than my BMR?

2»

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Should you rent an apartment whose rent is more than your salary?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I won't say you should NEVER eat below your BMR because honestly, you're not going to starve to death if you do it sometimes.

But in terms of having a goal calorie allocation, you should make your BMR the minimum. Some days you'll go over. If you go under once in a while, it isn't a big deal. But if your BMR is 1500 and you're regularly consuming 1200 as your goal, you're really not doing your metabolism any favors, and you're probably going to see a big stall in your weight loss.
  • dphuber
    dphuber Posts: 1
    You should not less than your BMR, your body will attempt to lower your metabolism to meet that number of calories.
    To get the glucose need to fuel your body , your body will turn to muscle tissue, further reducing your metabolism.
    For best results, make healthy choices and exercise. You need 60 minutes of moderate exercise to lose weight, but exercise
    alone will not take off the weight. If you want to stave off hunger, choose lower calorie foods, lean protein, whole grains and lots of fruits and vegetables.

To calculate your BMR

Women :BMR = 655 +(4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - ( 4.7 x age in years)
    Men: BMR= 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) = (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Bump
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    BMR is just an estimate. It varies by person and changes. It's not a magical line.