Multi-Vitamins make me sick. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've never had that happen to me, but I take the gummy ones or easily digestible ones, like chewable or liquid (I have a family member who had a gastic bypass so our vitamins generally are picked out to suit her "improved" digestive tract).
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    They make me very nauseous if I try to take them in the morning. Taking them at night before bed seems to solve that problem completely for me.
  • ckes84
    ckes84 Posts: 52
    Options
    Yeah thanks for the info im really nervous about it because it was pretty painfull tummy ache for about 15 mins it hit me within a few mins after taking it. And i certainly dont want to go thru it again lol.

My 22-year-old son has been taking Centrum since the age of 16 - pretty regular - and he said that this had been happening to him so he switched to a "natural" brand (not sure which brand, but can find out if you're interested) and the problem has been solved. Also, it wasn't a bad batch because he had 3 different bottles, all different expiration dates.
  • annep123
    annep123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If the vitamin contained Iron, look for one that doesn't contain iron--iron in a vitamin can cause nausea. If you are overwhelmed with the selection at the store, ask the pharmacist to help you. I like the gummy ones, too. I can get migraines after taking certain vitamins, and the gummy ones never cause a problem for me.
  • karah_girl20
    Options
    @ Sherry9300. Yeah perhaps its because im not much of a morning person ( meaning ) my body doesnt wake right up takes me a good while and to hit it with a vitamin within the first hour = No Bueno LOL
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yeah thanks for the info im really nervous about it because it was pretty painfull tummy ache for about 15 mins it hit me within a few mins after taking it. And i certainly dont want to go thru it again lol.

This happens to me too. When it first started happening it was always in the morning, so I was a little scared I was pregnant. Fortunately, it was just the vitamin lol. I had to try a few brands before finding one I could take- oddly enough a store brand. I also need to take it a few minutes after a meal. Taking it with the meal or on an empty stomach causes problems for me.
  • karah_girl20
    Options
    If the vitamin contained Iron, look for one that doesn't contain iron--iron in a vitamin can cause nausea. If you are overwhelmed with the selection at the store, ask the pharmacist to help you. I like the gummy ones, too. I can get migraines after taking certain vitamins, and the gummy ones never cause a problem for me.
    @annep. You might have just solved my problem I am anemic and the dr's have always pushed iron tabs on me but I hate taking them cause the wreak havoc on my body so perhaps it's the iron. Who knows just a theory but prob the fact like many of you said
    When I took it, The Brand I took . Also my body prob just isnt used to vits in such a condensed form.
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    I had the same problem. The multivitamin tablets made me really sick when I took one on an empty stomach. They also made me queazy when I took them with food, too. I switched to the gummy vitamins on a friend's suggestion and I haven't had a problem since - even when I've taken them on an empty stomach.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    I barf too if I take my daily before there is food in my stomach :D
  • lthacks
    lthacks Posts: 15
    Options
    Have you tried the gummy vitamins? They're the only ones i've found that are aeasy to take.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    OMG I so totally cannot take multivitamins, they make me soo nauseous....

eat something _or what helped me.... take them at night, when you;re going to sleep :)
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    my dr told me that if they make me sick dont take them. Not everyone needs them. Make me sick to my stomach as well. Plus if it has Niacin in it, I get a Niacin flush. LOL not to comfortable!
  • 4Shellie
    4Shellie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YES!..I learned if I take it after a meal when my stomach is full that wont happen. After eating when I take one I have no symtoms what so ever! Hope this works for you.
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of vitamins. I tried all kinds of vitamins and the only ones I can stomach are the gummy vitamins for adults. They taste great, don't make me sick, and I look forward to them every day so I actually remember to take them!
  • shanshepard
    shanshepard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    happens to me ..so i started taking them at night before bed when i remember that is
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I can only take them at night, right when I go to bed. That works best for me. I've had one brand of multivitamin that made me sick, but every other one has been fine as long as I take them last thing at night.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can't take pill vitamins. I like the Gummy vitamins. I take gummy everything. Multi, Calcium, CoQ10, Vitamin C, Omega 3's.
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    i take an organic whole foods multi-vitamin because i had a weird reaction to a regular one.
  • judyellis1
    judyellis1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have to take mine with a meal, can't take them on an empty stomach. And never with anything fizzy - something about the combination of carbonation and the vitamin together in my stomach... yuck!

What are you eating for breakfast? Maybe it's not enough to fill your stomach and absorb the vitamin too. I find I do best with some protein for breakfast - not just carbs. Peanut butter toast, yogurt with fruit & granola, that kind of thing.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I can't either. I take a gummy mulitvitamin and the chewable calcium/D things.