chia seeds

Options
julekinz
julekinz Posts: 80 Member
I have been hearing a lot about chia seeds and the benefits to health and weight loss. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried them and what you think.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about chia seeds and the benefits to health and weight loss. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried them and what you think.

I'm using them, typically a tablespoon with a tablespoon of water plus a third of a cup of yoghurt and some nuts and/or berries.

They have some interesting properties, but I can't report any fireworks or dramatic benefits.
  • julekinz
    Options
    thank you for your input, and the suggestion on how to use them, lol. i bought some and theyre difficult to get down once they get moist. I didnt really know what else to do with them and was beginning to wonder if theyre even worth it. i think i can handle one tbsp.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They become gelatinous when mixed with water. They are supposed to give you a full feeling like fiber-rich foods. They are also rich in Omegas (3 or 6, I can't remember which). You can add them to baked goods. Mix them with juices to create a breakfast or meal replacement drink. I met a lady at a Farmer's Market who has a business selling different Chia-based baked products (muffins, drinks, cookies, etc). She started it because of her desire for gluten-free baked products for her son who has health issues.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I throw mine in orange juice, coconut water, my power smoothie, cottage cheese.

I only use 1 tbsp because those suckers grow and I try to use at least 8oz of liquid. They don't really grow in cottage cheese, I just throw them in there if I am out of simply orange
  • ChocolateisCrack
    ChocolateisCrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I put them in my protein shake at 9am, I don't even notice they are in there that way. I am sure juice or something like that would work too, they do make me feel fuller longer, and I need the Omegas, since I don't like fatty fish.
  • kailimae
    kailimae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use them in smoothies and they go down well. I feel fuller longer when I use them vs when I don't. I've seen them used in juice, yogurt, and my friend even mixes them into her scrambled eggs.
  • raquelly214
    raquelly214 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use them! I throw a tablespoon into my morning smoothie and I bake with them, too. My favorite healthy cake mix is so easy...a box of devil's food cake mix, a cup of plain greek yogurt, and a cup of water! I mix that all together and then I add a tablespoon of chia seeds. It's like the best (healthy) cake ever!

But I also can't report huge changes...except that I feel "healthy" when I use them and then I want to keep making healthy choices :-)
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    thank you for your input, and the suggestion on how to use them, lol. i bought some and theyre difficult to get down once they get moist. I didnt really know what else to do with them and was beginning to wonder if theyre even worth it. i think i can handle one tbsp.

I add them to smoothies and baked goods. You can also use them to make "puddings" since they do have a gelatinous property to them if left in liquid for a bit. I also use them in place of traditional endurance sport gels and bars for longer workouts, runs, and bike rides (I train for a lot of long-distance events where you need fuel after an hour or so of effort). I just mix them with water and take them down. They have a great ratio of carbs-fat-protein for fuel and they are a healthy, "whole food" so to speak.

You can really add them to virtually anything, just be careful as they can add up (60 cal per T).
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    I add them to oatmeal. And I bake with them: my fave recipe right now is Chia Cookies:

Chia Seed Cookies (Recipe adapted from Yummy Mummy Kitchen)

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup almond flour
    1 1/2 Tablespoons chia seeds
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup natural sweetener
    3/4 cup natural peanut butter
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chunks or chips (I use Simply Lite bars or Chocoperfection bars which are both gluten free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    In a medium bowl, stir together oats, baking powder, flour, and chia seeds.
    In a separate bowl use an electric mixer to beat butter with sweetener until creamy. Add peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly stir in oat mixture to combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Place heaping tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet. Press dough into balls with hands, as dough will be crumbly. Bake 12 minutes.

Taken from http://thislunchrox.com/2012/03/chia-seeds/

I use honey as my sweetener and whole wheat flour instead of almond flour.
    Warning - the seeds can get caught in your teeth and when they swell up, it's like picking frogs eggs out. Oddly amusing.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I started adding them to my Amazing Grass Superfood shakes a few weeks ago and I've noticed an increase in my energy levels. I can't say for sure it's the seeds but it happened at the same time. I also like the benefits that you get from them as well so for me they are work adding regardless to seen or felt benefits.
  • julekinz
    Options
    Thank you so much! You guys are awesome! I'm gonna definitely give them another try. You all have given me so many great and tasty sounding suggestions. I'll make sure to post about it later after a few concoctions. :wink:
  • danibrnshug
    danibrnshug Posts: 27
    Options
    I LOVE them, I put them in my replacement meal smoothies and it makes it much thicker, adds a nice texture and fills me up longer! It's so yummy on cottage cheese! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
  • danibrnshug
    danibrnshug Posts: 27
    Options
    I LOVE them, I put them in my replacement meal smoothies and it makes it much thicker, adds a nice texture and fills me up longer! It's so yummy on cottage cheese! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

P.S. Go to www.thechiaseed.com there's all kinds of info on it!:wink:
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    Chia seeds are easier to work with than flax seeds - Chia seeds don't have to be ground to get the Omega 3 whereas with flax seeds the only benefit you get is fiber if you don't grind them before using them.

However, if you use a Vitamix blender it is powerful enough to chop up flax seeds for you if you toss them in with a thin liquid and run it on high for several seconds before adding all the other smoothie stuff.

Don't both buying flax oil unless you will be using a lot as even in the fridge it only lasts about 2 weeks after opening.
  • fitbody365
    fitbody365 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love a roasted golden flax seed and chia seed blend called Fitflax. It's a great choice to boost your immune system, and high in fiber. It's delicious in smoothies, oatmeal and on veggies. It's helped me lose weight and keep it off. I get it on Amazon.
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My favorite chia seed recipe is a raw breakfast porridge. It's easy and a great change of pace. Especially good for hot weather breakfast. Tastes a bit like tapioca pudding!

The night before you want to eat it for breakfast put in a jar (I use a quart canning jar with plastic top):

2 cups unsweetened almond (or whatever) milk
    1/4 to 1/2 cup chia seeds (I use 1/3 cup)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    your favorite sweetener to taste
    (taste the milk as you go to make sure you don't OVER sweeten. You can always add more sweet when you're eating it!)

Shake together in jar and leave jar overnight in fridge. (or about 6-8 hours)
    In the morning, spoon into a bowl and add toppings if desired.
    optional ingredients can include orange or lemon zest and flavoring, cocoa, whatever you'd like!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • julekinz
    Options
    I haven't really done anything exciting with my chia seeds yet, I have been drinking them down and chasing them with water. Good way to get one glass of water into me. I tried some in orange juice as it was suggested and they went down smooth, didnt "gel" like they do in water. I have been taking them every day as part of my pre-track routine.
    Again, thank you all for your suggestions. I want to try them in yogurt and in baking, we'll see.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump-i bought my first ones today. :)
  • LovinLifeChik
    LovinLifeChik Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe...I'm making it tonight for tomorrow's breakfast!